Looking for any 338 edge load data

JMUPT

I recently picked up a 338 edge and I'm looking for some load data. I have found a little online but wanted to see if anyone can give me a little more. The powders I have available are H1000, Retumbo, and RL 33, the bullets I have on hand are 250 gr accubonds and serria gamekings, and 300 gr bergers, and accubonds. I have Remington, and nosler 300 RUM brass, and also 338 edge Bertram brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a few EDGE barrels, The previous barrel was 90 gr of RETUMBO, lit by a 215M, 30" Hart at 2825 MV. My current barrel is a 28" Kreiger, 97 gr of RL 33 lit by a 250, MV is 2935. I would start with the RL 33/Berger combo at 96 gr and work up. It is an impressive powder that doesn't seem to be too temp sensitive. I use nosler brass, I have some Bertrum that I wasn't to happy with, (thin necks and showed pressure the same as Nosler stuff.) Maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know.

The two loads I shoot in mine are 89grs of H-1000 with a 300gr SMK at 2830fps in Remington brass and 99grs of R-33 with a 300gr SMK in Bertram brass at 2990fps. Obviously work up to those but both have shot 3 shots in the .1's at 100yds. I don't remember the ES on the R-33 load but the H-1000 load is 6fps if I remember right.

I recently picked up a 338 edge and I'm looking for some load data. I have found a little online but wanted to see if anyone can give me a little more. The powders I have available are H1000, Retumbo, and RL 33, the bullets I have on hand are 250 gr accubonds and serria gamekings, and 300 gr bergers, and accubonds. I have Remington, and nosler 300 RUM brass, and also 338 edge Bertram brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if you have this but maybe it will add to you other information.

338 Edge Loading Data

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help, I was able to get out and get the rifle sighted in. I fired a total of 8 rounds, 5 to get it zeroed and 3 for a group which measured a little under 3/4" at a 100 yds. Not too bad for throwing a load together just to get it on paper. I ended up finding some 225gr accubonds on the reloading bench and went with 88gr of H1000 as a starting load. I look forward to working up from here thanks again for the help.

You have some room to go up from there but the Edge really shines with those 300 gr Berger's. Mine, like most, shot the standard 90 gr of H1000 very well. Velocity was around 2820 but in my rifle it was a max load. I'd get 3 firings from Remington cases before the primer pockets opened. 33 was 100 fps faster but I never got around to accuracy testing before I sold the rifle to build a custom

Erik, thanks for the info. I plan on working up with the 300gr bergers or accubonds. My rifle doesn't have a brake on it at the moment, so I wanted to go with the lighter bullets to get it on paper to save my shoulder a little wear and tear. Just ordered a mini magnum muscle brake so that should tame it down a bit.

Corey, thanks for the link, and the contact info. I did find the Berger link when I did a search on the web for the 338 edge.

First Post here! Thanks for all the good reading along the way.

Have a newly built Savage Action 31" Stainless 1:10 Heavy Bull, with a Mussel brake getting 2845 (+-8) with 83.5 Grns of MR4000 (I know - but I have 8 Lbs+.) using the Hornady 285grn Tipped BT

No Primer flatting or Bolt-lift issues what so ever,
I started at 79.0 grns I'm moving up a .5 grain at a time checking for pressure..
Stopped at 83.5 for now. Will let you know how the 300grns come in for FPS and Shooting paper at 100 in a week or so.

Thanks for the input so far. I put a mini magnum muscle brake and a wyatts extended box in it last week. I now just need to find the time to get out and shoot it.

I am using 91 G H1000 / 215 / Berger 300 / Rem brass @ 2840 in a 30 inch tube. I have 100 new Bertrom brass along with some RL-33 to try once this crappy (not my words) Rem brass is toast. The problem.....6 firings and the PP's are still as new!!!

Good luck,
Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.