Looking for advice.

acooper1983

Good morning gentlemen, my name is Adam. Im currently having my first dedicated "long range" rig built (though some may call it medium range) It is a model 700 rem in 7-08 throated for 168 bergers with a 26" shilen selectmatch barrel. The goal being to start those bergers @ 2700+. That being said. Most of my current shooting is less than 800 yards and with my 6.5lb custom wsm, i find my vx-3 with a cds turret a good compromise. I know enough to know that i dont know much about scope choices for longer than that. I've read quite a bit of different threads on here, regaurding FFP and SFP. Im not set on either one, I like the idea of a SFP because i can "half" the scope if needed, as i understand it.

Ive read about scopes in the Vortex pst range, as well as the SWFA's. I believe im partial to MOA as im a "inch" minded person, but im sure with a little practice i could go with a mil scope. I'd like to have enough scope to get out to 1500 or so,knowing that the bullet with this cartridge will be subsonic by that range. I have a budget of about 2000$ + or - and im not above buying used. What would you gentlemen suggest.

Thanks for your time in reading this

Adam Cooper

I give the same advice every time. Nightforce NXS or for a little more money, get the beast. You chose the power you want, but 56mm of glass and you have a scope for whatever range you can shoot for life.

I give the same advice every time. Nightforce NXS or for a little more money, get the beast. You chose the power you want, but 56mm of glass and you have a scope for whatever range you can shoot for life.

Ditto ... with MOAR reticle.
My experience with MIL reticles is that they're pretty good for rangefinding but they're not as versitile (IMO) as the MOA reticle and most of the guys I know use a separate range finder for hunting anyway so ranging with a MIL Dot reticle doesn't really make much sense. Besides, I've learned how to range with my MOA reticle if the need arises.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts