Looking for a scope

Walker1

I am new to this longrange stuff. I am building a Savage 6.5Creedmoor. It will be my longrange coyote killer and plinker out to 800-1000yrds. I have no idea what scope to put on it. I have been reading about this Sightron-http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=168
and also about the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.
Not sure which would better suite my needs. The two scopes that I currently have is a Leupold VX3 in 4.5-14x50 Varmint Reticle. I use this on my 22-250 and have killed many coyotes and rabbits with it. My personal best is a rabbit at 522yrds. My other scope is a Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14x44 with
Z-Plex. I use this on my 7mmRemMag big game rifle. I put target turrets on it but still dialling it in. Farthest shot with this one is about 350yrds. I will say that the Zeiss glass is much better to me. I like to use max power on both scopes if I am out past 200yrds. I use a Zeiss rangfinder to judge my yardage.

Anybody have any thoughts or other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 6-24X50 FFP PST mil/mil mounted on my 7mm rem mag and "It Rocks". I really love it. I'm about to get the 4-16X50 for my .243 win. There's an app for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad that works great for shooting. I selected the Mil reticle because it has more references than the MOA and when using this app you don't even have to touch the knobs. I strongly recommend this scope, you won't go wrong. By the way, the app is called "JBM Ballistics". It's not cheap, but it works great.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle on my Remington 700 LSS 257 Weatherby Mag.

I absolutely love it.

You will not regret getting it.

You ould check out the new Weaver Tactical 3-15 or 4-20x50. Getting some great reviews... build like a friggin rock, so I hear. Just a thought.

BTW, you can find them for about $650 if you look around.

Good luck,

-Mega

I am I reading right that on the Viper FFP it does not matter what power I am on it will still be the correct holdover? My Leupold with the varmint reticle will only work if I have it at full power. I wouldn't say it is completey accurate either, but close. It is for my 22-250 and I am using the 55gr as it states but who knows if they fly as fast as what Luepold set it for.

I have the 6-24X50 FFP PST mil/mil mounted on my 7mm rem mag and "It Rocks". I really love it. I'm about to get the 4-16X50 for my .243 win. There's an app for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad that works great for shooting. I selected the Mil reticle because it has more references than the MOA and when using this app you don't even have to touch the knobs. I strongly recommend this scope, you won't go wrong. By the way, the app is called "JBM Ballistics". It's not cheap, but it works great.
Does this app work with MOA?

You ould check out the new Weaver Tactical 3-15 or 4-20x50. Getting some great reviews... build like a friggin rock, so I hear. Just a thought.

BTW, you can find them for about $650 if you look around.

Good luck,

-Mega

same scope as the nitrex tr2 usto be and yes they are pretty good, however i dont think i would put them in the same class as the pst

Made by the same company with some similar features, but they are not the same scopes. The Tacticals have 30mm tube, gobs more travel, FFP, matching knobs, etc, and are a fair amount heavier which may speak to their internal construction.

I would put them in the same class as the PST's--I like the PST's better in some aspects and like the Weaver Tacticals better in other respects.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.