Looking for a versatile cartridge

Hello there.
To sum it up, I'm willing to replace my 22-250.
75% of the use or the rifle will be shooting at deer, at distances comprised between 80 and 150 yds. The rest will be shooting deer at 250-300yds, and hogs in the Woods at less than 50yds.
The 22-250 is nice for the first 75% because at those distances i Can confidently go for a neck/headshot. But I'm not good enough a shot to do that at longer distances, and a lung/heart shot won't do it with that cartridge. Also, close range shots at hogs are no good : bullet fragmentation leadind to no exit hole (and hard tracking of the animal) and lots of meat damage.
So what I'm looking for is a cartridge with good enough ballistics to shoot at up to 300 yards without too much thinking, and whose bullets won't fragment and will expand properly on a 30yards shot.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- moderate velocity (i think ?)
- ammo availability ( i don't reload cuz no Time)
- barrel lifespan.

The most serious contenders are probably 7mm08, .308, .270.., but I might be missing something.

Thanks in avance for tour advice.

Best regards
7mm08

Hello there.
75% of the use or the rifle will be shooting at deer, at distances comprised between 80 and 150 yds. The rest will be shooting deer at 250-300yds, and hogs in the Woods at less than 50yds.
The 22-250 is nice for the first 75% because at those distances i Can confidently go for a neck/headshot. But I'm not good enough a shot to do that at longer distances, and a lung/heart shot won't do it with that cartridge. Also, close range shots at hogs are no good : bullet fragmentation leadind to no exit hole (and hard tracking of the animal) and lots of meat damage.
So what I'm looking for is a cartridge with good enough ballistics to shoot at up to 300 yards without too much thinking, and whose bullets won't fragment and will expand properly on a 30yards shot.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- barrel lifespan.

The most serious contenders are probably 7mm08, .308, .270.., but I might be missing something.

Best regards
Popped bunches of porkers with the 308 and 270 from 5yards to 400. No problem for either.

one guy, one guy mentions the 30-06, it is the father to most of the calibers mentioned in this post. that old stinky 30-06 probably has more ammo choices and availability then any of the choices mentioned, some one should tell Mr. Hathcock how lucky he must be to have been forced to use a 30-06 to do the things he's done. SORRY TWO GUYS

I would recommend 7-08 based on the fact that I still see that ammo available in a lot of the sports stores.
Hello there.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- barrel lifespan.

Best regards

Hello there.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- barrel lifespan.

Best regards
Hello there.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- barrel lifespan.

Best regards
I have rifles in all 3 of your contenders and have taken game including elk out to 400 yards with no problem. The 7-08 probably has the least recoil of the 3. I would go with the caliber that you have the best ammo availability.

Put a muzzle break on it and my hard kicking 30-06 hot heavy bullet loads are a pleasure to hunt and shoot from the bench , the shoulder I shoot from was broken off at the ball in a tree stand fall , with the Muzzle break no problems.

Hello there.

Criterias are :
- versatility
- light recoil
- barrel lifespan.

Best regards
If you just have to replace the 22-250 I would go with the 308