Help choosig a cartridge for carry gun

ackleyguy

OK guys please give some in put here.
I have a Rem 700 LSS in .300 ultra with a leup 45.x14x 40 which I had Lee Dots installed in and caliberated fo my 180 Partition at 3350 F/sec out to 700 yards @ 14x.. I sent the rifle to Parry gunsmithing for a brake about 2 years ago(he did a great job...seamless) Any way I shot the thing prior to the brake...but i simply do not like that much recoil..Now of course the sound level went way up and...well i dont need this much gun...its served me well on several deer and 2 caribou /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...very very accurate...1.5 @ 300 if i do my part with 102.5 retumbo molly coated partition....any way heres what i am thinking...a 7 mag unbraked in a 10lb sportre is as much fun as i like....want to go a bit smaller and here are the parameters:
barrel @ 26"
Same rem mag contour or maybe a #4 fluted SS
NO BRAKE
Gonna use the same stock (I like the laminated 700 alot)
Max range would be 700--Maybe 800 yards
here are some ideas of mine:
.264 win mag
6.5x300 Weath......? not sure of any gain over the .264 with a 26"bbl
.257 Weath
.257 STW
would like to stay @ 100 to 120 gr MAX bullet weight...Please give me your input...Thanks

Is this going to be a complete new rifle or are you using your 300 RUM for a donor receiver to build on.

IF your building new, I would say to drop down from the belted magnum case and look at the 6.5-06 AI or the 280 AI with something in the 120 gr weight with the 6.5 and 140 gr in the 280.

Very usible for big game and very low in recoil. If your using your 300 RUM receiver, this is not relevent.

In a 26" barrel your really cutting the legs out of all the chamberings you list except the 264 Win Mag. They will all work well but teh velocity gains over the WIn Mag class of rounds will not be great in these small bore rounds.

That said, the 257 STW is a great round as is my 257 AX and 6.5mm AX. Both are the full equal to the STW but in a 3.400" OAL round instead of a 3.700" round.

With a 120 gr bullet though, the larger rounds you list will be very similiar to the 7mm magnums in recoil.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi,

I'm rather new to this forum and do a lot of lurking.

Kirby, I've noticed you mentioning the AX series....what cartridge did you base those wildcats on? I've looked at doing something with a shortened Ultra mag case now for about a year..sounds simular to what you have already done.

Thanks, Jim

I agree with Kirby's idea. The 280AI would give you a 7Mag velocity with all of the features you listed. I personally would stay with the 7mm to be more versatile. Most 280AI are deadly for accuracy. Go with a good synthetic stock and rifle will be a pleasure to carry and shoot.

If you want to stick with 100-120gr max bullet weight, then I would suggest 243 or 243AI. As this cartridge makes very good use of bullets in that weight range. Uses about 15-20gr less powder than the cartriges you mentioned which means less recoil. If you do not like this idea then I also like the 280AI idea mentioned before, but you should use 140gr bullets with that.

Apache,

First off welcome to LRH!!

THey are based on the 300 Dakota case but if someone wants a bit less case capacity I have the ability to use the slightly shorter 7mm Dakota as well.

As of right now though they are all based on the 300 Dakota case which has a case length of 2.550" Performance is identical to the STW class of wildcats but can be chambered in conventional standard length magnum receivers such as the Ruger or Win M70s that are chambered in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks you guys.......looks like a .264 Mag....I am using the.532 bolt face...otherwise it was a tossup between the 6.5 Gibbs or .280 ackley

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.