Help with my gun idea.

bcraft1111

I have been thinking about what kind of new rifle to build for about 4 weeks now and here is what I have come up with.

I think I want it in 7mm WSM, or 7mm SAUM.
I want a lighter gun than I am toting now 12.5 lbs with a 28" barrel. So I am thinking I will be ok with a 22-24 barrel in #3 or #4 contour not sure whose barrel yet. Will I loose performance in this length barrel with the 7mm short calibers? I would like to flute the barrel as well. I like the look.

Remington action trued up, Jewell trigger, 3 position safety installed, GA style bolt stop installed, fluted bolt, Sako style extractor installed, Not sure about the magazine box yet will I need to get an extended box for this setup. Tubb style recoil Lug or one like it.

McMillan Hunter edge stock, Web Pain job.

Send the whole thing to Robar for NP3 finish.

Suggestions Please.

Or Order A Ed Brown Damara

bcraft
I'm in the planning stages of a similar project. I'l be building one of those two calibers on a Savage action. I chose the Savage because I can do it all myself (no machining) and the mag. box is 3.00" long vs 2.85" (I think) for the Remington.

If you handload and want to load heavier bullets you would probably be better off with the slightly shorter OAL of the 7 SAUM if you use the Remington action.

As far as velocity goes I would think you would give up 20-50 fps for every inch you shorten the barrel. Also might want to take a look at Shortmags .org lots of good info there on both your choices.
Chris

Seems like a Rem Sendero would be a good starting point. Weight would be a little under 10 lbs I believe.
A good smith could take care of the magazine and action work. Just my .02, hope it helps.

Philip

The sendaro sounds like a good idea But I would hope that my finished rifle would be closer to 6.5 or 7 lbs.

take advice but you will be most pleased with what "YOU" want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif i'm learning that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Midmoboy
Lazzeroni Warbird LS2000
S&B PMII 4x16x50

If you will pay I will sell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gotta throw a wrench in the works- do not do the RSAUM!!! Remington is stopping production on them due to the fact they suck compared to the WSMs and brass will be hard to get in the future.
A 7 WSM will work in a Rem action just fine...

Whats your price? Email me at [email protected]. Your project sounds like a good one except for the short mag part due to hearing mixed reviews from friends who own them. I have never shot a heavy barrel version but have fired 10 or 15 rounds thru a 7mm wsm in a browning a bolt and recoil was hellish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It did however group them well to be a factory rifle and ammo. I would lean towards the wsm if remington is going to stop production of their version but I dont see why they would because from what I gather they were working on a 25 cal short mag. I would check into that.

Not sure if you have looked at the Long Range Hunting Rifle Series column in the main index, the rifle that George Gardner built for me is very similar to what you are looking for. GA Precision has been building these rifles for a while now, they are superb. They are now called the NONTYPICAL (George's specialty is heavier tactical rifles and he uses all the accuracy tricks in the lighweight hunting rifle). Longest kill with mine has been 783 yards on a mule deer, killed four over 700 with it, all first-shot, one shot kills. Really nice toting 8 pounds instead of 12-14 in the field.
There are limitations on barrel diameter that can be fluted, we went with a #3 and it is sweet. My rifle is in .300 WSM, George built himself one in 7mm WSM and they look identical. George shot a 3-shot group that went into one one hole at two hundred yards with his when he was breaking it in - accurate rifle and a very good rifleman. My rifle has shot many five shot groups under 0.5" if I can hold it well, I am the big variable in that equation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif When my barrel is shotout I plan on getting it rebarreled to 7mm WSM, less recoil, still great bullet selection.

You might get some ideas from that old column, lots of interest in the project as we did it. I cannot recommend George highly enough, his rifles shoot superbly, he is prompt and keeps his word and he is a very nice person to deal with. He has excellent guys working in his shop, they are all craftsmen.

There are other smiths who frequent this site who you could consider also - we are very fortunate to have them share their knowledge so willingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts