Starting point gun help.

Tricky

I'm looking to get started shooting 600+ yards while wanting to reach out at 1000yards eventually. I'm a big game hunter whose longest shot is 400 yards on a mule deer. I found a savage model 10 308 used setup. His post is as follows :"
I am deciding the let my model 10 go. She is a real beauty. I have exactly 35 rounds down the barrel with it being broken in properly. (Cleaned after every round for the first 10 rounds ect.) This isn't your run of the mil model 10 either. It has an accu trigger, bedded stock, and a muzzle break that makes it recoil like a .223. It will also come for the price with the scope, rings, bipod and all. It also has a detachable 10 round magazine and the original oem 5 round magazine. I am willing to take trades to get the price down for you though if we need to. Also scope is a vortex crossfire 2 with mill dot. 4-16×50." Asking is 1200... Thoughts? Good starting point or please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Need to know what version Model 10. Is is it a "FCP HS Precision" etc. Prices run $700 to $1500 new. All in all though does sound like a great deal or the ad would have mentioned the version and there are much better scopes for long range.

Are you talking target shooting or are you also considering taking game at 600 to 1000.
If just target I would look at
Savage LRP in 6.5 Creed or Rem 260
The new Ruger Pression Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

If wanting to hunt past 600 also maybe:
Remington Model 700 Long Range in 300 Win Mag

The Model 700 Long Range is only around $700. You could add a good aftermarket trigger like a Timney trigger and a Vortex PST scope all for around $1500 and end up with a long range hammer.

I'm looking for 600 plus hunting so it needs to be able to reach out at worse case and knock an elk down at 1000 yards. I have a Remington model 700 adl 300 win mag that is bone stock. Should I just start with this and upgrade it, and put good glass on it?

308 at 1000 yards is not my ideal choice. I have two long action savage/stevens home builts in 280 Ackley, one running 168 bergers and am currently working up a 180 grain load in the newly assembled twin. I like the combination of 7mm high BC bullets and lower recoil than the bigger 30 cals. If you want to stay with 30 cal you should select a cartridge that will push the heaviest high BC bullets fast enough to keep the wind drift moderate and the energy high at your desired impact distance. 30-06 Ackley or 300 win mag would be my starting place, but if I'm gonna deal with that level of recoil I would probably go on to a 338 whiz-bang for even better trajectory. Those 33 cal bullets have awesome BCs.

I'm looking for 600 plus hunting so it needs to be able to reach out at worse case and knock an elk down at 1000 yards. I have a Remington model 700 adl 300 win mag that is bone stock. Should I just start with this and upgrade it, and put good glass on it?

I think that is a very good idea. 300 Win Mag with 215 berger bullets is a popular combination for 1000 yard elk.

Check this thread out. Shows very well what this combo can do.http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

The 338 is a touch more gun then I would like. To go a outs upgrading my Remington model 700 adl 300 win mag where do I start? I'm as green as can be and wet behind the ears to boot! What stocks would be recommended? I'll get the timney trigger. I'm guessing I figure out the stock I want, get it, get the timney trigger, take it all to the gunsmith down here and have him put it together, have it bedded and free floated? From that point I'm onto getting the glass for it?

Tricky,

First you need to figure out exactly what you want the rifle to do. Then you need some sort of budget. 2k max might be a good spot for rifle and scope, but the sky is the limit for sure.

Some folks use a dedicated long range rifle. They are usually heavy with thick long barrels, light triggers, and higher end higher powder scopes with dialing turrets. The rifles can weight 15 lbs. Not an uncommon weight. Weight is your friend on a long range rifle. They have rangefinders that are dependable for distances to and past 1000 yards. Then they handload and spend a LOT of time practicing to perfect their load and abilities.

Some folks want more of a rifle they can carry for regular hunting and that could make that 1000 yard shot, if it ever comes up. These guys cut back on the weight some, use a heavier trigger, cut back on optic power a bit, but the quality and ability to dial are still there.

I would have a look at some of the rifles Len has for sale on this site. Definitely not entry level stuff but would give a good idea of what a quality long range rig might be like.

Then I would get a real good base line on what the Model 700 300 win you have will do. Might do that by getting a long range scope first that would meet your needs and put it on the rifle you have and see what she will do. If you handload great, if not you will probably need to try some ammo that uses popular high BC bullets for long range. Yes, I'm talking Bergers here. HSM has Bergers and is good ammo, if it will shoot in your rifle. Bergers can be finicky. Personally I would have a look at the Applied Ballistics ammo loaded with Berger classic hunter bullets.300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition

Once you have sometime under your belt with the current rifle/new scope and ammo, you'll probably have a good idea of where you want to go.

I think getting there is half the fun.gun)

Then I would get a real good base line on what the Model 700 300 win you have will do. Might do that by getting a long range scope first that would meet your needs and put it on the rifle you have and see what she will do. If you handload great, if not you will probably need to try some ammo that uses popular high BC bullets for long range. Yes, I'm talking Bergers here. HSM has Bergers and is good ammo, if it will shoot in your rifle. Bergers can be finicky. Personally I would have a look at the Applied Ballistics ammo loaded with Berger classic hunter bullets.300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition

Once you have sometime under your belt with the current rifle/new scope and ammo, you'll probably have a good idea of where you want to go.

I think getting there is half the fun.gun)

Not much else to say. Emphasis on finding a scope you like, as it comes off and goes on whatever your next step is. Wear out a .300 WinMag, a lot of learning in that, might be one you'll stick with in the next rifle.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! What I am going to do is take my 300 win mag ADL down to local gunsmith and have him float it, put timney trig in it, muzzle break it. From here I will put a Vortex PST 4x6x50. With this done I'll be heading to the range with a box of HSM 300 wing mad 210grain ammo. This should get me started. I'll try other hunting grade ammo as needed to find what best shoots out of this gun! Any suggestion on factory loaded ammo?

I've been shooting applied ballistics ammo in my 300 win mag and it shoots well. Take a look at it. The money spent on ammunition will get you a long ways. Also, reloading will help a bunch. I usually reload everything I just didn't have time to work up a load for my 300 win

Thanks everyone for the feedback! What I am going to do is take my 300 win mag ADL down to local gunsmith and have him float it, put timney trig in it, muzzle break it. From here I will put a Vortex PST 4x6x50. With this done I'll be heading to the range with a box of HSM 300 wing mad 210grain ammo. This should get me started. I'll try other hunting grade ammo as needed to find what best shoots out of this gun! Any suggestion on factory loaded ammo?

A PST 4-6x50?

For the cost of the new gun you can revamp your 700 into a LR hammer, don't just polish a turd, trick it out.

You can float the barrel yourself. Just make sure there is no contact between the barrel and stock w/ a dollar bill. Then if it is the the tupperware stock flex it and see how much you can contact. If you can make contact grind out some more of the stock. I wouldn't waste money bedding the factory stock when used mcmillans and B&C's can be had for a few hundred.

If you get a smokin deal on a timney go for it, but I would be looking for the timney calvin or get a jewell. Jewell would be my first choice as would it be for most people here.

If its the sps adl that I'm thinking of I don't think there is enough meat on the barrel to put a break on it. Besides unless you're recoil sensitive and want to wear ear protection while hunting, I wouldn't bother w/ a break. Personally the 300wm has manageable recoil. I'd put the money into the new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.