Looking For a New Front Rest for the Bench

Full Curl

Figured it's time to upgrade to a middle of the road rest. I don't want to drop $500, maybe something in the $200 or so range. I don't shoot competition. I just want a nice rest for load development of calibers up to 300wm. I looked at the Caldwell The Rock BR last night at a local store and it looked decent but I know a lot of guys don't like Caldwell products. Any recommendations? Thanks you.

Take a look at Sinclair's Rest. Different models available, they look well built. Probably be what I buy in the near future.

Sinclair is a good choice. Their Heavy Varmint is a sound rest but i would go a little over your $500. and get the Comp. rest. It is MUCH more solid and you will get a better picture of your load development with the heavier higher precision rest.

You can do a search for all the front rests made for bench shooting and have a great picture of what's available for what price. Make a 'pros' and 'cons' list then take a couple of days to let everything percolate through your brain. Usually the answer becomes evident after a couple of days.

There is a Caldwell rest which carries a tag of about $220.00 which is O.K. I thinks it's the Fire Control or there's the Rock which is O.K. also.

There is the rest from Bullets.com which runs about $140.00 without the bag and is quite useful.

Shop around, maybe go to the range to see if you can try some of the rest the other folks bring to shoot of. That way you'll have the better feel for making a decision. Cheap is not always best but overpriced and fancy may not be what you can afford to work with.

My main Bench / Pron rests are :

#1- Henery Remple F Class bypod rest.
#2- Harrison short BR.

The Remple is about $350 Cnd funds / $280 is Usd. This rest could take you to the Nationals easy.

The Harrison Short BR is about $140 Cnd/ $110 ish Usd. Much less in costs, but it can take you pretty close to what the R can do. The vertical adjustments are limited on the Harrison, so I have a small container that hold $2 Loony coins that I stack in the container to shim the rifle level.
There is some adjustments on the Harrison BR rest, but the cup & coins fine tune level for the 700 to 1700m and beyond.

I use a hard packed bunny ear bag and force the back of the stock into it tight, dam tight between the bunny ears,,, the bag also has a 1/2" 6x6 steel plate glued to it so it stays in place.

I use the Remple for F Class matches, in the off season both rests travel with me for the 1000 to 1700m clay bank shoots.

If the rifle is anchored at the back as the shooters cheek and shooters hand pinky holds it in place, then I'm off to the races. My thumb with the lightes of pressure and no hand canting / manipulations.

My free hand raises and lowers the back of the rifle by squeezing the bag.

At 900M + just above the 10" V
1000m + at 14" above the V
1700m + at 24" above V.
That way my free hand needs a firm pressure to squeeze the rear bag firm. The tighter I squeeze the bag, the cross hairs get onto the V ring as it forces the back of the stock up.
The barrel tip and cross hairs drop down to aline.

Remember, hard solid firm rear bag with rear stock ramed tight between the bunny ears.

PS: Don't forget the scope level and watch which way your rifle tracks.
After the shot,,, the optics should fall back on the target.

Both bypods have their advantages.
The Remple is wide and stable, once the bubble is levelled, I pretty much shoot the whole string of 10 to 15 with no further adjustments,,, the negative to this rest is its full time wide and does not fold away to pack off to the bush for Harvesting critters.

The Harrison bypods cover that area.
I have 2 sets of the H,,, short for off season bush treks, the full adjustable medium / longs are for hunting season.
Light weight and easy to use.
Not as stable as the Remple,,, but not the worse either.

Keep your eyes open down there for the super light weight carbon fiber By-pods.
They are like the carbon fiber tent poles with the elastic band in the middle.

If I recall,,, the shooter can use just first legs in pron, 3 extensions for sitting, 4 for kneeling, and 5 or 6 for standing.
There made in the USA, and are dammed pricey up here in Canada.

I'm making my own custom set up here.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

I like to buy stuff that I can use for target to field,,, that way I get a chance wear it out. LOL

Don from Western Canada

Last edited:
Bullets.com has several Bald Eagle front rests on sale. They make aluminum and cast iron. The cast iron is very heavy but that could be a good thing except for moving it from vehicle to bench.

http://bullets.com/search?q=(rifle+AND+rest)+OR+(rifle+OR+rest)

You will need a front bag. An example from Sinclair:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...-1000-basic-top-sku749002871-34202-66602.aspx
Lots of bags to choose from.

I have found that these feet help keep the rest from moving on the typical concrete shooting bench:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...ng-rest-accessories/stabilfeet-prod34461.aspx

Thanks for all the great replies everybody! I've been looking at the bullets.com rests and trying to call them but they never answer the phone. What do you guys recommend for just all-around load development... their cast iron or aluminum models? As noted above the cast iron is heavy, but I don't know if that is a big pro over the lighter aluminum or not?

Then they have the triangle or the slingshot base in either the plain or the windage models...???

I just want a good all around model for shooting magnum calibers (up to .300wm) at the local range, wood benches, for load development. Which specific models should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Figured it's time to upgrade to a middle of the road rest. I don't want to drop $500, maybe something in the $200 or so range. I don't shoot competition. I just want a nice rest for load development of calibers up to 300wm. I looked at the Caldwell The Rock BR last night at a local store and it looked decent but I know a lot of guys don't like Caldwell products. Any recommendations? Thanks you.

I think it's important to keep the OP's needs in mind.

Moderately priced front rests are not hard to find but keeping quality at the forefront can be tough when prices are reduced. I am not trying to push the Caldwell or the Bald Eagle brand from Bullets.com, any of them will work just fine. I have one of each which I use for fun shooting or loaners to folks who don't want to spend the money immediately. I have the lighter version of the Bald Eagle which works just fine for intermediate duty rests without getting into competition. Properly cared for, they will last a long time providing lots of service and pleasure.

I would also suggest looking around at some of the shooting websites with Classified Ad sections to see if you can find something used but in great shape. Guys that are transitioning from an intermediate rest to top-of-the-line rests will often sell the older rest at a decent price.

If you choose to move up in quality and weight at a later date or join the ranks of competitors, SEB probably puts together the top front rests in both quality and price.

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts