Bench Front Rest vs Bipod?

I am on the other side of this "argument", for bipods to be useful they need to support the sitting position (I can use a day pack for prone). For a bipod to support the sitting position, it weighs too much in my opinion.

Make yourself a combination walking/sitting shootings sticks. Cost you less than $20 serves two purposes.

Last edited:
Front rests that are filled with sand seem to be the idea rest for shooting from the bench. The sand has a deadening effect as the rifle begins to recoil. OTOH, bipods tend to jump or bounce off of a hard bench top and may lead to inconsistent points of impact. It's possible to "load" a bipod by flexing the bipod as the feet are planted and the rifle is shifted slightly forward. This should help with more consistent shot placement but it takes a lot of practice, IMO.

When you are afield, there is nothing quite like a good bipod. I always have one attached. I'm rarely in a scenario that allows me to shoot prone. Vegetation or terrain contours normally prevent me from shooting from that low of a position. I've taken many animals while sitting and using the bipod extended. With a little practice, you can shoot quite accurately from a sitting position.

It's a good idea to shoot with your bipod at the range if you intend to use it afield. Guns don't normally recoil the same way if switched from a front sand bag to a bipod. If they recoil differently, the bullets will impact at a different point down range. That is probably why you see many shooters using a bipod at the range.

Bipods don't always bounce on hard surfaces. I shoot my bipods off benches and concrete and car hoods etc and the rifles are very accurate and no issues with consistent impacts. Everything in shooting requires practice but not hard to shoot accurately off a bipod.

I have both but shoot almost exclusively from bipods with my centerfire rifles. Its a different technique that requires practice as VH stated above. If I'm really trying to fine-tune a load then sometimes the rest comes out. I can't say that one is more accurate than the other but if I have to step away from the rifle its easier to duplicate the setup with the rest/bag, at least for me.

I shoot my bipods off concrete surfaces, however I position the legs at an angle (feet first) to the bore of the rifle. My reasoning is to reduce recoil bounce…maybe it helps, but not sure. Anyway, POI regardless of front bag rest or bipod does not change.

if for hunting question is do you carry a bench and your caldwell rest with you in the field

No I hunt out of box blinds. I rest fore stock on window frames as a rest. From tree stands, I shoot off hand with my elbow or tree as a rest.

I use a bench rest set up for load development and shooting steel at long ranges at the gun club.

For load development at the range I would suggest the best , most stable Rest you can afford. I have a Middle of the Road rest that I shoot bench rest with. Its a Bald Eagle in Cast Iron , with a Flat 3-inch front bag. I also have an old cast Iron rest that use to test my Hunting Rifle loads. I would also suggest that the front bag on the rest, and rear bag, are also very important . If the idea of the range session is to test the quality and Precision of the ammo and how the gun shoots that ammo, then eliminating any wobble or cant movement is important. I just personally really like to know what the Rifle/Scope /Ammo combination is actually capable of. I cannot get that feedback of information shooting off the top of my ammo box with my sweatshirt folded up over it. Thats just my personal opinion and a respectful suggestion.

I use a Hart pedestal rest, about twenty pounds with a leather Protektor 1 1/2" front bag. In the back I use a leather Protektor bunny bag. I'm pretty your groups will be better with such a setup than using an attached bipod but won't argue the point. In the hunting fields I've had very good results with the original simple BogPod tripod.

I use a Hart pedestal rest, about twenty pounds with a leather Protektor 1 1/2" front bag. In the back I use a leather Protektor bunny bag. I'm pretty your groups will be better with such a setup than using an attached bipod but won't argue the point. In the hunting fields I've had very good results with the original simple BogPod tripod.
That's the same setup I use when I want to know what the gun will do I use a atlas bipod shooting prone competition and can shoot 97 out possible 100 but off the bench with the hart and protector set up it's one hole at 200

I hunt my way to the ground blind using the Primos Trigger stick, It adjusts up and down silently as I walk ,and once in the Blind I use the Caldwell Tripod or the Bog Death Grip Carbon Fiber . I leave it in the blind all week until its time to pack up and come home.

Attachments

• Weatherby Ultralight  on the shooting pod West Virg 2013.JPG
    Weatherby Ultralight on the shooting pod West Virg 2013.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1570ULTRALIGHT  IN SNOW CAMMO ION THE DEATH GRIP TRI POD.JPG
    IMG_1570ULTRALIGHT IN SNOW CAMMO ION THE DEATH GRIP TRI POD.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
if for hunting question is do you carry a bench and your caldwell rest with you in the field
If you were to visit the areas of Pa where most of the long range hunting takes place, you will find that virtually all of those who do it are hunting from fixed locations and using portable benches. Sometimes they are carried considerable distances from the vehicle as well. As for the bipods, some use them, while others prefer different types which allow for staying on target for follow up shots better than bipods do.