Front rest for kneeling

shawnb

Hey all. Ive been looking for a while at tripods fitted with a hog saddle and just cant seem to justify that expense.

On a recent deer hunt i was in fields that were still standing. My bipod and rear bad were obviously to short and when a 500yd shot presented itself i had to let it walk as i couldnt keep steady in any other position.

I started thinking about a bogpod type bipod to lay the front on and elbow on knee for bone support for the rear.

What do you guys use for this type of situation that doesnt cost $1000+

Interesting. Ill look into that more

Thanks.

Its very hard not to cry one and just buycthe tripod set up

I take a folding seat strapped to my pack and a tripod with either a DIY Picatinny rail attachment or a DIY front rest that grips the front of the rifle, and use some DIY shooting sticks for the rear rest. It's very a steady setup that I've used out to 800 with great success. The rail attachment cost maybe $20, the front rest about $15 and the sticks about $5.

but the question wasn't about sitting position. And I've yet to find a sitting length bipod that will work if a guy has to kneel/get-up-on-his-knees to clear a lane...

I have a bog pod and a heavy weight tripod. The bog pods are better than shooting sticks, but they are still pretty light and easy to influence. I don't use them for shooting any more. I'm going to take them hunting this year. The shooting will be from the CF tripod and I'll use the bog pod for binos and spotter.

With the bog pod, if you use a set of shooting sticks for the rear, it can help a lot. Be careful not to push into the rifle much or you will end up lifting the bog pod legs off the ground.

Long bipods in sitting position with a pack tucked under your rifle butt will also work

Yep! My pack has saved many hunting trips. The ability to improvise afield can be a fun experience; have used stomps, rocks, branches, barbed wire fence, etc...

ADDED:

Found an old pix ...

.300 WSM on a stomp.jpg

Last edited:
upload_2019-11-17_16-43-40.jpeg
I use my custom camo'd cabelas shooting sticks for a lot of varmint and deer hunting in cut fields.
upload_2019-11-17_16-45-43.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.