Looking for a good rangfinder

Brewer

Hi all. I've been without a good rangefinder for a while and need to get one that will get the job done and not quit working on me. I had a Leopold that worked to about 600 yards (was supposed to do 1000) and it shot crops awhile back. Only got a few years out of it and was just really disappointed for what I paid. I've never been a big Leopold fan anyway, I just don't see the value in them.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for... would like it to comfortably range 1000 yards. Monocular is fine, good glass but would not have to be the very best. I guess I'm looking for value, a notch or 2 below the top. In the $1000.00 range probably.

What do you guys have and do you like jt?

Not at all in the same class as your talking but I have a sig 2200 it will range to about 1300 yd. Didn't cost much either

I've been extremely happy with my Leica 2700-discontued now I believe, replaced by 2800? Glass is very good and at 7x I often leave binos in truck when archery hunting and just use the monocular. I have ranged hill sides over 2000 yards, farther than I probably will every need. I haven't played with the built in shooting calculator but have read good things about it. I see the 2800 on sale for less than your budget. Talk to Doug at Cameraland, he always seems to have good info and deals! I replaced a Leupold 1200 rangefiner with the Leica and they are night and day different. I'm not a fan of the new leupold stuff either......I just compared a new pair of BX4 binoculars to a pair of cheap Vortex diamondback binoculars right at dark, and I couldn't hardly see a difference.......maybe I got a freak deal on the Vortex pair but I somehow doubt it!
Good luck with your search!

Hi all. I've been without a good rangefinder for a while and need to get one that will get the job done and not quit working on me. I had a Leopold that worked to about 600 yards (was supposed to do 1000) and it shot crops awhile back. Only got a few years out of it and was just really disappointed for what I paid. I've never been a big Leopold fan anyway, I just don't see the value in them.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for... would like it to comfortably range 1000 yards. Monocular is fine, good glass but would not have to be the very best. I guess I'm looking for value, a notch or 2 below the top. In the $1000.00 range probably.

Budget?

Gunwerks BR-4. buy once cry once, about $1,500.00 but it is incredible. Put your data in the rangefinder for your rifle and load and its ready for action. If your dope is good it will service you very well. I ahve been using a Gunwerks rangefinder for at least he last ten years possibly more and I love it. Point it click the button, dial for the range it gives you and pull the trigger. Dead!

My Sig Kilo 2400ABS has been awesome, especially for long range shooting. Great range finding capabilities and the ballistic function makes for quick adjustments at longer ranges. I recently put together a 28 NOS, zeroed at 100 yards, chronographed the bullet speed to ensure ballistic entries were correct, and made a first shot hit on a 12" plate at 800 yards. It looks like the current version from Sig is the Kilo 8k-ABS.
If budget allows, you can also consider the Sig 10k range finding binoculars, which have ridiculous range finding abilities and all shot information immediately, including the speed of the bullet at impact (which can be helpful for deciding on lethalness at long range).
I'm sure there are other comparables out there, but I've been happy enough with the Sigs that I haven't bothered to look.

I realize these are above the budget you stated, but the 2400ABS can be picked up new on Ebay for under $1k.

Other than the Sigs, I've found the price point for a good LR range finder is $500. I tried 4 different budget or steeply discounted range finders below that price point until I big the bullet and bought a discontinued Leica 2700 from Doug at Camera land. I use my phone apps for ballistics so I have never used the built in functions. I know the prebuilt ballistics in the 2700 only work to 800...for ethical reasons the manual says. You can go a bit further with manual curves. Most of my shooting in flat sagebrush and that terrain eats up all the low end range finders I've used. I've used a friends Sig 800 and it worked much better in the brush and out to 800. Even seemed like it was programed to stop at 800 as it did it with ease. For a low end LR option, I would go with a sig model.

Vortex fury, rangefinding binoculars with applied ballistics

I'm very happy with my Sig Kilo 5k, but it does have limitations in that it will only provide ballistic solutions out to 600 yards. I use mine with a Kestrel 5700 Elite which eliminates this issue.

What binos do you use?