Long Range Shooting and Rain?

MontanaRifleman

Hey ya'll,

I'm in a discussion on another forum talking about external ballists and the subject of rain has come up. I thought I read a few posts on here somewhere, where the effect of rain on bullets (external ballistics) was discussed.

As I recall, some folks had done some shooting in the rain with no significant effects from the rain observed?

I've read a post in another forum, where the poster said bullets from a 220 swift dont always make to the target when fired in the rain.

Does anyone have any experience with this subject or might be able to point me to some good sources.

Thanks,

-MR

I have Shawn Carlock's "Long Range Shooting" video and I believe he mentions in his video that rain really doesn't have much of an affect on the bullet.

I could be wrong........maybe he will chime in on this.

With rainfall comes low air pressure and cooler temps. This maybe where someones 22 bullets didnt make it to the target. How far was he shooting and with what bullet?

Personaly I do not have any first hand scientifec knowledge of what any effects of rain in and of its self has on a bullet. However I have shot in dry air and rainy air and have never seen any abnormal effects on predicted POI. Predicted meening all other lighting and atmosperic conditions were accounted for and taken into account.

We shoot rain or shine to 1,000 yards regularly and to 1,200 yards on occasion with several calibers. Other than taking into account density altitude variations, we see no effects from rain.

good topic. My belief is that the atmospheric conditions(pressure, temp, RH, wind, dirt/dust) have more affect on bullet path then rain drops.
Check this site out, it explains the pressure front, and believe this explains why little if any affect on the bullet path.
The Doppler Effect and Sonic Booms

I wouldnt want to make a long range shot in a steady rain anyway, would be next to impossible. ..:)

As I recall, some folks had done some shooting in the rain with no significant effects from the rain observed?

I don't have near the trigger time most do here, but the most significant effect I've noticed from the rain is the lack of other shooters at the range.:D I'll intentional schedule range time if I know it's going to be raining.

There is a really big adverse affect. You'll get wet. Perhaps none of you have ever noticed that about rain. It is made up of water. :D

A couple of people including me have made calculations on the the probability of a bullet being impacted by enough raindrops to become deflected. By the time the density of raindrops is that great you cannot see the target. Of course there are people who live on the outer rings of Saturn who have claimed to have shot in rainfalls where the size of the raindrops exceed anything ever measured by scientist here on earth.

If it interests you, google up the size of raindrops. It is actually very interesting how little is actually known and measured on the subject.

I dont know about long range, but I can tell you a 5.56 flys great to 300 M in the rain. After spending alot of time at FT Knox KY, where "if it aint rainin we aint trainin" is the motto. I remember the good ol days of M16 qualifying in pouring rain with CLP splashing in your eyes. Most of my friends pack it up when it starts to rain but I will get real data this summer on the effect out as far as I can.

Michael and Bob are both spot on here. Trajectories flatten out due to reduced air density, bullets make it to the target just fine, and you DO get wet. We got absolutely hammered at Perry during the NRA Championships two years ago, worst conditions I've ever seen there. Biggest complaints I had, all had to do with the fact that the bullets tore large, un-paste-able (?) holes in the soggy targets, you couldn't keep the water out of your sight apertures or off your shooting glasses, and your shooting jackets wound up smelling like a wet dog. If you had a diopter sight or used a front lens like a tiger eye, you were just flat out hosed. But no, the bullets do just fine in the rain!

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

when i shot 1k benchrest, i saw aome very,very good groups shot in the rain. in my opinion,especially on the "mountain" in normal conditions, there is some wind/breeze. which will open groups up. a cool steady rain usually produces very little or no wind. the reason for the good groups. jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.