long range shooting zero

scrummy30

I am trying to learn long range hunting for shots over 700 yards. What is the best zero range for a 7mm rem mag.? I have heard that a 250 to 300 yard zero is the best for long range. Any info would be helpful

How are you going to make your corrections for 700 plus shots. Are you going to dial up the turet for a dead on hold? Or are you going to hold over Kentucky style? It makes a difference on what zero to use.

Jeff

If you can get Broz talking long enough :D He'll tell you zero @ 100. He as done 100/200/300 yd zeros and is heading for 100 yds.

After he told me that, I spent some mind time and it makes sense. !00 yds is the most convenient distance especially when checking zero @ remote locations.

Having said that, I'm sticking w/200 yds for my LR as all zero checks will more than likely be done at my backyard range. For the ELR rifle it'll be 300 yd zero to minimize clicks and to compensate for lack of a zero stop.

For this old man, a zero stop may well be a must. Came back from Townsend and sent 2 shot over the 200 yd backstop. (lack of zero stop blues....) Don't think I hit any cows....:rolleyes:

I zero all my stuff at 100 yards. two reasons 1 I can get a more precise zero at a hundred yards than I can at two. 2 when dialing the scope from this zero I am always going up from the zero point. I don't think I would like to zero at 500 and then have to go the opposite direction of what was familiar to apply the needed correction for a shot at 250. At a match I Will always go :)short to long for that reason. well that and to get a impact assessment on the wind value oh yeah shoot the horizontal plate first. ha ha

I "check 0 p.o.i." @ 100yds for p.o.i. vs p.o.a. but I'm actually "zeroed" at 200.

Many many times out to random places shooting, & its real nice to have a known p.o.i. at close yardage. Makes a zero check quick & simple no matter where you are or how many times you've messed with your turrets.

I am trying to learn long range hunting for shots over 700 yards. What is the best zero range for a 7mm rem mag.? I have heard that a 250 to 300 yard zero is the best for long range. Any info would be helpful

Hitting the kill zone on the first shot is what matters.

In order to accomplish that, you need to establish a zero at some distance and be consistent so you don't get confused.

After that, verify your drops at every distance you can out to as far as you intend to hunt and beyond.

Velocity, energy, wind drift, and terminal performance are all unaffected by your zero range.

-- richard

I "check 0 p.o.i." @ 100yds for p.o.i. vs p.o.a. but I'm actually "zeroed" at 200.

Many many times out to random places shooting, & its real nice to have a known p.o.i. at close yardage. Makes a zero check quick & simple no matter where you are or how many times you've messed with your turrets.

+1

I have rifles zero at 200 for west hunting but know POI at 100 for checking confirming all is well before hunt. I also have a chart taped to stock for distance drops for quick reference.

When hunting here in the east, I zero at 100 as a high percentage of the shots are taken less than that distance.

Zero hunting rifle at 225 yards most generally its what my dad did and so there is where
we zero......Shooting a 06 at 2770 with a 180gr Sierra game king has been our choice of
bullet and has put meat in the freezer every year deer and elk. When a elk is shot and down
a second shot to the head to confirm its died.........They are powerful animals and sometimes they dont know that they are died.........

I'm new to the long range game so don't read anything into this, just seems to be working for me so far. I'm shooting two different rigs, rifle #1 is a mid-range rifle that has a hold over type reticle I have zeroed at 300 yards to try to make the most effective use of the reticle. It is + 4" at 100 yards and the reticle is working great out to 500 yards. Rifle #2 is for longer ranges, it is zeroed at 100 yards and I dial it. I'm still working on range cards for both rifles, settling on final loads and confirming drops. So far I'm liking this arrangement very well.

Bob

I zero at 200. That gives me a dead hold with most cartridges out to 300. My method is to sight at 100 according to carts then confirm at 200 ( also verifes charts somewhat) As said, when traveling most will have 100 yard range for confirmation. Know your drops. Make a range card for your location and weather. Hunts are to expensive not to prepare.

This is what I do also . Zeroed at 500 , but for convienience check it at 100 .
A lot depends on how many MOA you have on your mount and how much elevation in the scope . Some may not be able to actually Zero at close range with certain setups .
I was taught that it is not a good idea to force the scope to zero too far away from center .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.