Long Range Hunting/Shooting

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by submoa hunter, Nov 26, 2013.

1. submoa hunter

submoa hunter New Member

what are good things to know when shooting really long distances say 1000 yards . tips? what comes into account at that range and how do i figure my way around it.

2. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

What do you mean work your way around?

There really is no way around it, unless I miss understand the statement.

There are some really good video's on youtube by a master sniper trainer who discusses all aspects of LR shooting. NSSF video. National Shooting Sport Foundation I believe. This guy is very good at what he does. Also, Gunwerks does some nice stuff too.

OK, my take:

Coriolus
    spin drift
    Temp
    barometric pressure- absolute or eleveation or density altitude
    Slope angle
    and last but worst.....WIND.

In the field I have:
    range finder, with integrated slope and ABP
    wind meter
    Drop Chart
    Ballistic program on an ipod- Shooter.
    GPS
    compass

Of course, to make the shot you have to have all the fundamentals such as hold, trigger, sight, and breathing control. Repeatably accuracte rifle and good optics.

I assume some of this stuff you know and I am just rambling.

3. MMERSS

MMERSS Well-Known Member

Almost all hunters, and a few target shooters, I have worked with have been able to shoot extremely well with a little coaching. One common theme with ALL of them, their ability to appropriately apply a correct ballistics solution in the field. This is a huge beast and not easily achievable without a sound understanding of ballistics.

Applied Ballistics has some great books on this topic. I would start there! That's my "Tip" for the day.

Good luck and good shooting.

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Waaay to broad a question. but you're come to the right place. Read, read, read.