Long Range Hunting/Shooting

submoa hunter

what are good things to know when shooting really long distances say 1000 yards . tips? what comes into account at that range and how do i figure my way around it.

What do you mean work your way around?

There really is no way around it, unless I miss understand the statement.

There are some really good video's on youtube by a master sniper trainer who discusses all aspects of LR shooting. NSSF video. National Shooting Sport Foundation I believe. This guy is very good at what he does. Also, Gunwerks does some nice stuff too.

OK, my take:

Coriolus
spin drift
Temp
barometric pressure- absolute or eleveation or density altitude
Slope angle
and last but worst.....WIND.

In the field I have:
range finder, with integrated slope and ABP
wind meter
Drop Chart
Ballistic program on an ipod- Shooter.
GPS
compass

Of course, to make the shot you have to have all the fundamentals such as hold, trigger, sight, and breathing control. Repeatably accuracte rifle and good optics.

I assume some of this stuff you know and I am just rambling.

what are good things to know when shooting really long distances say 1000 yards . tips? what comes into account at that range and how do i figure my way around it.

Almost all hunters, and a few target shooters, I have worked with have been able to shoot extremely well with a little coaching. One common theme with ALL of them, their ability to appropriately apply a correct ballistics solution in the field. This is a huge beast and not easily achievable without a sound understanding of ballistics.

Applied Ballistics has some great books on this topic. I would start there! That's my "Tip" for the day.

Good luck and good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.