Long Range Rifle Shooting on a budget ...

There is a lot of information floating around on the internet that causes a lot of people to never even try long range shooting. That is to bad because the only way to keep a sport alive and thriving is to get more people and young people into it. Under $1000 for 1000-1200 yards isn't that hard for just the rifle set up...what kills is the spotting glass needed to see impacts out past 1000 yards as I learned on my first trip to a 2200 meter unknown range. (lucky everyone was awesome and helpful with single laser range finders and big dollar spotting scopes) I'm by no means able to keep up with the Jones' at the range and would suggest for new LR shooters to not even try. I also have learned to set my expectations for what calibers can be used at what ranges wo/major customization. (but that's another topic all together) That being said I was able to keep up with my dad's 3000 dollar plus 6.5 creedmoor rig with...

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 - on sale $375 (normally about $500 / $400 used)
SWFA 20x scope - laying around (on sale $250 normally $300)
DNZ 1pc base - laying around (normally $60)
Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock - used $100 (normally $200)
Shilen trigger - laying around (normally $115)
TOTAL: on sale prices $1000 not on sale price about $1200
( $475 out of pocket 4 me)

Even cheaper would be like my first ever build using an older Savage 10/110. Don't even need the bull barrel to get started, but I got lucky to get one. Save money on the trigger by making sure the trigger is one of the old 3 screw types and just replace the spring with thinner spring wire. (see: SavageShooters forum for info on that) Same scope, base, & stock...done. Ended up with a $300 30-06 rifle, $250 scope, $50 rail & rings, $100 choate stock. $700 build with mostly used stuff and patience

Last but not least I'd say it is perfectly acceptable to start off with a run of the mill hunting rifle you already have, slap a mil-dot scope on it, put some rice in a few socks for bags and shoot till you are good enough to group well at 500-600 yards. Learn the calculations for drop and calling the wind. Make sure you're addicted to the faint sound to steel ringing before building anything special.

What really helps with used / cheaper rifles is being able to reload and tune the ammo to the gun. It also costs less per round down range. I guess the reality check to all of this is that a budget build only makes sense if you are an infrequent shooter. In the long run I've spent WAY MORE on ammo than any of my guns and that reality is what pushed me towards feeling OK about spending more money on my rifle & optics.

MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN!

If you were too choose the top four things to get started with LRS on a budget of $700 what would they be.
First thing is a used Remington 700 in a caliber that I have bullets dies and brass for! A used Nikon or Leupold scope. If I couldn't find the right deal maybe a Howa 1500. If that's still not going to happen I would wait and save more cash.

I had an argos sold it just recently, I only tried it out to see if I'd like prs matches.

Decent little scope, the glass was the most impressive part to me. I put it side by side my buddies gen2 razor and we couldn't tell a difference in glass. But that's just our opinion.

Running the turrets is similar to digging around in a pile of mushy dog sh!t (never put my hand in poo to support that claim, I promise)

Tall target test revealed a click value of .93 mil. Not a deal breaker for me just had to put that into my calculator, other than that it tracked good enough for me out to 1400 yrds

Reticle was decent but the center was just a bit thick for my liking. Covered up small targets

Also you should have received washers to construct a "zero stop," if not they ll will send you some for free and their are easy to install

I did take it coyote hunting when it was -20°F, froze up something on the magnification ring, when it thawed, the magnification ring was disconnected and would turn but not zoom in or out. Athlon fixed it and sent it back to me in perfect working condition. Amazing customer service.

I'd say I'd get another one but after operating and getting comfortable behind an atacr there's no way I'd buy one again. Their Cronus is a different story though, lot of value packed into that one.

My 2 crnts, and my apologies if the same has been said earlier.

A precursor, I'm in a single income family, with 2 kids under 4. So, there's some context. Budget for me is the best quality I can get without chasing the 'new shiny'

I agree wit many of those before me regarding the scope. I started by spending about $350, which got me started, but I realized I was missing a lot. So, I sold it, losing about $100, then spent another 300 (550 total price).
After a lot of reading on here and the hide, then getting to put my hands on some top tier glass, I realized how naive I had been in my purchases, and quickly realized how my BDC reticles were killing me in what I really wanted to do. So, selling that glass (losing another $150) I started searching.

So, at this point, I had spent $650, but only had $400 in my pocket. To many, no big deal, but to me, that's a big loss.

I watched Facebook groups like optics trader and such, as well as for sale sections here and the hide, and ended up with a $1200 (new) optic for 600 bucks! Yes, it's older. Yes, it doesn't have the best glass, the newest reticles or even zero stop. What it does have is a lifetime warranty, it tracks and the glass is better than my old optics. It's good enough for me, and isn't holding me back.

As for the rifle, I was lucky enough to pick up an HMR with a timney, 20 moa rail and muzzle brake for under a grand.

Yeah, it's not sub 1k, but I don't feel like I need to update anytime soon. Shooting my first match I made impacts to 1315, and just this weekend shooting next to a rifle worth 3x as what I spent, we were both engaging the same 10" plate at 1k with the same success rate.

In the end, it's the Indian, not the arrow, but don't hamstring yourself getting caught up in what others have. 5 year old glass is better than most of us are, and newer used rifles are great as well, just make sure the barrel isn't burnt out when you buy.

Closing note (sorry this is long). Reload. If you enjoy this at all, start now. It'll save you a ton in the long run. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Intro'd buddy to LR. Took him to 1K with his Ruger 77 308. Couldn't score a hit beyond 800. His wife used a little of "his" money and got him a Ruger Hawkeye in 300 Win.

Shoots well under 1/2 MOA, consistently at 100 yds. He upgraded to a Vortex of some sort. His rig will shoot with my super hooty fully custom rig (but not quite so far).

Money saving opportunities appear unexpectedly. Such as, switching to Hammer bullets, though pricey, cuts way down on load development, range time, travel expenses sufficient to be cost effective.

Another thought is regarding LR Shooting "schools." There's no need, as I see it, to spend mega bucks. Being as I'm subsidized by over 60 years of hard work with frugal living and being a nice guy, my ELR shooting session take fellas to 1K for 175 bucks and to 1500 and beyond for another 175 bucks. But if a shooter wants to hang around watch, shoots, learn and help it costs zip point nada.

As far as scopes go, I'm the guy that has a Leuy LRT on his airgun.

Not everyone out there has thousands of dollars to spend on getting themselves a good Long Range Shooting Rifle Setup.
Here are some suggestions :
1. Have an idea of how much you can afford to spend on your initial setup ... Rifle, Scope , Ammunition, a rest, bags or bi-pod to start with, you can always add to it as you go.
Don't spend more for your scope than you will for your Rifle . You can always upgrade your scope later.
2. Choose a Range that you can reasonably achieve at first then move out as you get better.
3. Choose a Caliber that will suit your needs.
4. Compare prices, warranties and available accessories from the different Rifle Companies.
5. When choosing a Rifle compare the features that you get for the price your paying.
6. When you're looking at Rifles stay in your price range, . some of the more affordable Rifles out there are made by very reputable Firearms Companies that have been around for a while ... Remington, .Ruger and Savage to name a few.
7. Long Range Shooting should be challenging and fun. Don't try to base your experience on what someone else says they can do ... enjoy reaching your own goals.
Some very good points.... however...better title I believe would be "Are you considering Shooting" and the points here are great
Are you wanting to shoot LONG RANGE?...two different subjects all together. Upgrading means you have invested money on something not adequate to get you where you wanted to be! Save the money to accomplish the task and to be happy with the end result! Half way with a 300.00 scope and a 300.00 gun is great for shooting 300 yards! To shoot 1000 or long range.... you will have a 600.00 package that will need to be completely replaced.... you just wasted 600.00. I know....there is nothing more frustrating than fooling yourself!

Some very good points.... however...better title I believe would be "Are you considering Shooting" and the points here are great
Are you wanting to shoot LONG RANGE?...two different subjects all together. Upgrading means you have invested money on something not adequate to get you where you wanted to be! Save the money to accomplish the task and to be happy with the end result! Half way with a 300.00 scope and a 300.00 gun is great for shooting 300 yards! To shoot 1000 or long range.... you will have a 600.00 package that will need to be completely replaced.... you just wasted 600.00. I know....there is nothing more frustrating than fooling yourself!

For 1000 Bucks (even 600 if I take my time) I can have a gun and scope that can shoot at least a MOA @1000 yards. If not better.

I was in the middle of my thoughts and I accidentally posted when I got a call from work and had to go in for a few hours and forgot to get back to this. So I kind of lost my train of thought and edited my original post. However, if most people are like me their idea of a long range rifle will change several times and I never had any profound conclusions on the best cheap build.

I think for most people if they take a hard look in their safe they already have a budget rifle that they can start with. They're probably better off blowing the whole budget they had for rifle and optics, just on the optics and adding it to their existing rifle. However, for a strictly bare bones budget build here is what I'd do if I didn't have a suitable rifle in my safe to slap new optics on.

Ruger American Predator in 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor $400-450
SWFA SS 10X42 $300
Burris Signature Tactical rings $100
Harris 6"-9" bipod $100

All in you're less than $1,000 not including ammunition and a few other things you'll think you need. It is not the perfect setup, but a person starting out could learn a lot with it. The way I look at it you put 1,500-2,000 rounds down the tube, sell the rifle and build/buy what you want. You should have a pretty good idea as to what you want by that time.

Ok, so if you've been following the progression of adding improvements to setting up your Long Range Rifle as you can afford them. One of the improvements that Shooter's like to add to they're Rifle is a better trigger. If your Rifle already came with a good adjustable trigger you may not want to do anything to it after you have it adjusted to where you like.
Buying Trigger's is a lot like many other accessories ,. There's a variety of them at various prices. Here's an example @ $145
Front__87985.1534956540.png

Last edited:
Ok, so if you've been following the progression of adding improvements to setting up your Long Range Rifle as you can afford them. One of the improvements that Shooter's like to add to they're Rifle is a better trigger. If your Rifle already came with a good adjustable trigger you may not want to do anything to it after you have it adjusted to where you like.
Buying Trigger's is a lot like many other accessories ,. There's a variety of them at various prices. Here's an example @ $145
View attachment 122294

A good trigger goes a long way to LR hunting and shooting. My Ruger M77 II is sitting @ 1.5# with no creep, It started life as 6.5# non adjustable trigger. Ruger american is 1.75# started life as 3.5# and the lowest it could go was 3#. I found most triggers can be modded to match the ones you pay lots for. But you have to be careful. And its not for everyone. But in just those to guns I saved 200 to 250 together modding my trigger over buying aftermarket ones.

Yes I agree a trigger is a good upgrade and can make those groups shrink @ LR by a good bit.

....there is nothing more frustrating than fooling yourself!............

.......I think the number of $$$$$invested before finding out you've been foolish is relevant.

......The sky is the limit pricing any shooting discipline.

......New comers are more often fooled by the enthusiasm of veterans in any activity. The day comes when you're at the range, headphones on, in the tunnel of your scope you answer the question "Is this for me?,Is my equipment limiting my success?, Or, am I just not enjoying this much?"

.....All ranges are long until you've mastered them. I've told youngsters I take shooting, show me you're good at a 100-and we'll break out the 200 yard stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.