Long Range Rifle Shooting on a budget ...

I disagree some what respectfully , high dollar no but spend for quality! Buy it once and have it for a life time. As a young shooter I bought more economical scopes and they are long gone in some landfill! Still have many scopes that are thirty and forty years old that still go the the field every year . Old Redfields and Leupolds. Not super high dollar but good quality !

I guess my point was missed. You do not have to spend big bucks to get a scope that will last a lifetime.

There are good scopes at a great price. Then there are Junk scopes that if you gave them to me I would never even mount them.

The Remington ADL with 26" heavy barrel is proof that a good shooter doesn't have to be high dollar. I got one in .308 that could match most rifles on the range. Where I don't like to cheap out, is on optics with good eye relief. A Leupold VX-1 is a good lower priced unit.

How do you know what the "best" scope is if you've never actually put enough rounds downrange to know if it's good or bad, works for you or not, meets your needs or not? I would spend majority of the budget on the rifle first.

If this a first time LR rifle, I wouldn't put less than a $1200 on proven off the rack rifle and if you can assemble your own, you can match & mix parts to your liking or needs for a particular rifle system.

Just watched this, very interesting, I have simplified my loading practices over the years and have stopped doing doing things that were actually just a waste of time and no gain.

And ironically, this article is on a news outlet owned by anti-gun liberal nutjob Michael Bloomberg...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...kon-quietly-stay-away-from-the-nra-s-big-show

This is the only reason that I haven't bought one of their new X1000 scopes to try. Other than that, I want to so bad to compare the glass and features. I love their tool-less zero-stop adjustment. I wish Vortex had thought of it first, and put it into their HS-T scopes. The Nikon Black X1000 scopes directly compete with the Vortex HS-T in every way.

And ironically, this article is on a news outlet owned by anti-gun liberal nutjob Michael Bloomberg...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...kon-quietly-stay-away-from-the-nra-s-big-show

This is the only reason that I haven't bought one of their new X1000 scopes to try. Other than that, I want to so bad to compare the glass and features. I love their tool-less zero-stop adjustment. I wish Vortex had thought of it first, and put it into their HS-T scopes. The Nikon Black X1000 scopes directly compete with the Vortex HS-T in every way.

Well, that sucks. The glass in the two my son uses are impressive.

Nikons don't get a lot of love for some reason - their monarch line is awesome. Better glass than anything else in their class. They have the no fault VIP warranty like vortex. They take a beating and hold zero better than most and track really well. I put the 4-16x42 on my son's creed and the 6-24x50 on his 223. Picked them up used for $250 and $300. Both have the BDC reticles - they are tough to beat when looking for something with a 1" tube.
I looked at the nikon black fx 1000 and black x 1000s at the store the other day and they were a lot better then the leupold vx3i LRPs, and $200 to $400 cheaper than the LRPs.

Even though my Cf rifle is a 110 tactical in 6cm, my budget rifle is a .22 rim fire
It gets shot 95% of the time.

After having my Rifle for awhile I was able to buy a Magpul Stock for it.
One of the reasons I had initially purchased the Remington 700 model was because of the availability of accessories , my Rifle dropped right into the Magpul Stock and was really worth the cost.
MAG495_ODG_1.png

Last edited:
I have been reading these for quite a while. This is my first post so forgive me if is in the wrong blog. In 1986 I purchased a Kahles Helia-S 3-12x56 for less than $500. 80.00 for rings. Remington 700 Classic in 264 Win mag for $330. It has the same scope on the Rem today and I am still impressed with this scope. Never had to rezero. It shoots where it's supposed to every time. I agree to use good glass over the rifle cost completely. I started with the 264 in the late '70s. I own 9 in that caliber and 6 are still NIB. Never shot out a barrel and fired several thousand rounds. I also bought a Remington model-7 in 260 when it came out in 97? Love my 6.5s I am mainly a hunter but been shooting 1000 yards at targets for 40 years.

I have been reading these for quite a while. This is my first post so forgive me if is in the wrong blog. In 1986 I purchased a Kahles Helia-S 3-12x56 for less than $500. 80.00 for rings. Remington 700 Classic in 264 Win mag for $330. It has the same scope on the Rem today and I am still impressed with this scope. Never had to rezero. It shoots where it's supposed to every time. I agree to use good glass over the rifle cost completely. I started with the 264 in the late '70s. I own 9 in that caliber and 6 are still NIB. Never shot out a barrel and fired several thousand rounds. I also bought a Remington model-7 in 260 when it came out in 97? Love my 6.5s I am mainly a hunter but been shooting 1000 yards at targets for 40 years.
Kahles builds a hell of a scope. I have a mid-2000's Helia KX 3.5-10x50 with the 4D-Dot reticle. It's on my main lightweight hunting rifle. That sucker is as clear as any scope I've looked through, including $3,000-$4,000 scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.