long range radios

Well, actually satellite is not the only non los answer. You can go really expensive and get a repeater system. Or do as some I know do and just use the state and fed repeaters. (illeagally of course) Our ranch has a really nice system because the place is so spread out through the mtns and its the only way we can stay in contact since no cell service.

I have rented a sat phone for hunting in the mountains. It is a good way to go. Generally reasonably priced rental fee, plus pay for calls. It came in very handy for our group.

Well, actually satellite is not the only non los answer. You can go really expensive and get a repeater system. Or do as some I know do and just use the state and fed repeaters. (illeagally of course) Our ranch has a really nice system because the place is so spread out through the mtns and its the only way we can stay in contact since no cell service.
Well Repeaters actually rely on LOS as well. They require LOS to each party transmitting, from the repeater station.

Your'e correct thought setting up a repeater system is very expensive and also poses serious challenges if you aren't doing it on your own land.

The FCC determines what radios are legal, not states. States can have more stringent standards than the feds but not lesser.

As others have stated radios depend on either line of sight or skips and it takes a hell of a lot of power to be able to count on the latter getting over a mountain.

Satellite is the only thing you can count on operating without LOS.

I took your statement as it being illegal to hunt while using radios, not as the higher power being ilegal. You are correct. My apologies.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.