long range radios

bubba41

hi guys i'm looking for a radio that will work well in the mountains . something with long range . i'm tired of these cheap ones . if you guys have any experience please let me know

I'm not sure what you are looking at spending but after using the UHF and VHF 4-5 watt radios we use in race cars then using these uniden type walk about radios I would never waste my money on the cheap stuff.

Not only is the range MUCH greater but the sound quality is superb. I always bought all my stuff from either Racing Radios or Racing Electronics.

I'm not sure what you are looking at spending but after using the UHF and VHF 4-5 watt radios we use in race cars then using these uniden type walk about radios I would never waste my money on the cheap stuff.

Not only is the range MUCH greater but the sound quality is superb. I always bought all my stuff from either Racing Radios or Racing Electronics.

Correct! Using UHF for example...4-5 watts output...they operate by line of sight and will go as far as you can even see with a spotting scope AS LONG AS a mountain or ?? isnt blocking the signal....and thats just with a little walkie talkie antenna

There are alot of different racing sites that sell used equipment that is in like new condition so you could pick up a couple, or how ever many you want, for a fraction of what they cost new. Racing Radios and Racing Electronics used to take the Cup teams trade ins and sell refurb used stuff for considerably less than new. They're always sold complete with batteries and a charger and the batteries will easily last a 2-4 days depending on how much you talk and make sure to turn them off at night.

We've been using the Garmin Rhino radios and they have much better range than the cheapos. There is a setting on them that has a higher output than the other radios. They seem a lot clearer than the others. One really nice feature is they have built in gps and will tell you how far away your buddy is and locate him on the gps map. They do text messages so if you don't want to talk you can still communicate. My brother and I have had ours for several years and have been happy with the performance.

thanks but i'm looking for something that will work in the mountains in between and so on

No frequency will transmit THRU the solid earth...but as far as line of sight goes....I have a Kenwood here with a pull out antenna attached thats right at 30" long....and Ive transmitted a measured 22 miles with it..more than once.

the phone sounds good i'll see what that will cost . i really did'nt want to talk through the mountain. maybe a uhf icom radio thanks guys

Depends on what state. Not all states is it illegal. There are no laws in Wyoming stateing it is illegal.
The FCC determines what radios are legal, not states. States can have more stringent standards than the feds but not lesser.

As others have stated radios depend on either line of sight or skips and it takes a hell of a lot of power to be able to count on the latter getting over a mountain.

Satellite is the only thing you can count on operating without LOS.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.