Which Radios to get for LRH.

royinidaho

My situations usually require 1 LRHntr and MRHntr to cover blind spots in game travel patterns.

For the most part hunters will be line-of-site usually less than 1 mile apart.

Requirements:
Hands free operation (ear/mouth piece & voice activated)
Minimum of 1 mile 100% lilne-of-site coverage
Not much talking will be done but when its needed its NEEDED!
Batteries should be good for all day, even though extras will be carried.

Any recommendations appreciated....

Hi Roy,

The best way (it works for me for more then 2 years) is go with Garmin Rino 530(520) GPS and 2way radio in one device.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=283
I LOVE THEM, and am too many situations when this unit saves my life, or my buddy life's, or help us communicate between us.
This unit operates in FRS (5miles) and GRMS (8miles) for the radio.
Every time when you are communicating with your buddies, they will have your position on gps in real time.
Plus you can send them a meeting location, truck, etc, game retrieval location, etc, and they just press GO TO your location, and all they have to do is follow the gps track straight to you...,
The function is text message between Rino users, scanning of channels (22 channels with lots of sub-channels.
(NICE, HUMMM)\

The unit is coming with elevation, temperature, weather channel (530Rino), atmospheric barometer, compass, speed, time of traveling, etc, 54mb for the map.(I used TOPO CANADA) and I got every crick, lake, stream, on the map.
We tried last year to see in deep woods how far the unit can communicate and we got 5miles on mountain area, and between us is was a deep forest, with lots of walleyes and slopes.

Last year one of my hunting buddies got a bad accident with an ATV (rollover) we ware at Mulley hunting along the river area with lots of coolly, hills, and valley, and he was 8km away from us and the camp.
Short story he roll over with the quad, he broke 1 clavicle bone and 1 ribs, he was so bad injured, he could not stand up, at every movement he hear cranks on broken bones.
The quad it was destroyed, and because he heaved the GPS Rino he sent us his location, and we retrieved him just following the truck.
He was end up in Hospital, but could be worst if he didn't have a radio to communicate his position.
So from that time all my buddies (6 got Rino's) to save our asses in cases of emergencies.

Just my reason why is better to get a pro GPS with Radio.
OHH the battery last 14/16 hour of continuous communication.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

Sounds like a winner to me.

I start shopping for a pair of 'em.

Thanks again.

Roy

Welcome,
Just to reminder on Rino 120 = 8mb for the map you have storage space for about 1 quorter of Alberta loaded on the memory.
on the Rino 520/530 = 54mb you can load more then 3/4 of Alberta.
The another option is if you are hunting in different areas just load the map what do you need, and then unload the map on PC till next time with all your marks, tracks, notes, etc.

if you are looking to get one try at http://www.gpscity.com/two-way-radios because you will get better prices.
If you have in plan to get 2 or more unit make a deal with the guys for a discount.
For USA your GMRS band is 5 watts larger larger than Canadian Rino, because you do not have the limit restriction as in Canada to 2watts

Last edited:
I'll have to agree... Garmin Rino's are AWESOME! I think the real time position is something I can't live w/out in my hunting parties now... I also could suggest if you just want a cheaper option you could look at the new Midland radios out of Cabelas... I think they're like 100 bucks for a pair w/ hands free and waterproofing and about 20+ mile range...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.