long range precision reloading

missourideere

I had a few question s on reloading for long range. I'm use to using a single stage press and Redding dies for my. .223 and ruNning each shell through a concentricity tool sometimes the bullet is a couple thousands out sometimes 6-9 thousandth s out, and they have to be straightened which is fine for 300 yards. But now that I'm going to shoot 1000yds (with a .300win) would a arbor/wilson press correct this problem? Since I'm only shooting from one gun is there any reason to full length size or can I fire form? Also is there a difference between wilson or an arbor press? Lastly any other advice on reloading for that kind of distance? Thanks for the expertise

When belted 30 caliber magnums were popular in long range matches, best accuracy was had with new cases or proper full length sized ones. To reload, you'll need a good standard press to do that; your current press, for example.

If you want best accuracy and want to reload, I recommend a Forster full length sizing die they've honed the neck out to .002" less than that of a loaded round with the case and bullet make of your choice. A close second place die is an RCBS or Redding full bushing die with a bushing that same size. Then use a collet die Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment to size the case body a second time all the way back to the belt; standard dies stop short several thousandths.

Remove the decapping stem and expander ball from those dies; you won't need them; deprime fired cases separately then clean them before resizing and reloading them.

Unless you want to buy brass often, I would neck size the 300. Bringing it back to head spacing off the belt every time is not good for brass life. You can find a accurate load by just doing the neck sizing and a ladder test... If you are getting excessive run out, look for the problem and fix it... I have three different single stage presses and I can find the reason I'm getting run out with each one, usually it's a decapping rod/expander problem.. You could go with the Arbor press route, but it's not needed..

Unless you want to buy brass often, I would neck size the 300. Bringing it back to head spacing off the belt every time is not good for brass life. You can find a accurate load by just doing the neck sizing and a ladder test... If you are getting excessive run out, look for the problem and fix it... I have three different single stage presses and I can find the reason I'm getting run out with each one, usually it's a decapping rod/expander problem.. You could go with the Arbor press route, but it's not needed..

What ge said.
I will add, the best seater dies I have ever used are Forster comp micrometer seaters, runout with mine never goes above .002".
I ran some tests years ago with runout numbers starting at .002" and running .002" increments to .008". I could not find any difference in group size at 600yrds, at 1000yrds, the dispersion was triangular, whether this was caused by the runout or not, I'm unsure, but, I never saw triangular dispersion before or since.
If you are wanting precision, there are some fundamentals you need to do on case prep.
First, de-burr and uniform the flash holes, measure case neck thickness and turn to get them uniform, measure case VOLUME and sort them. Only use enough neck tension to hold the bullet from moving. In all my comp rifles I run absolutely no more than .0015", even less in my 264WM.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.