Long Range Hunting Match

I think so long as people keep their focus on the fact that the point of this match is to becomes a better practical shooter / hunter and test to test their skills; as opposed to winning / racking up the points by any means necessary, you should be able to keep the gaming to a minimum. Personally I don't see the need for prize tables and expensive awards or any awards for that matter. Coming out and testing your skills at a well put together,SAFE, practical LR hunting match is reward enough. Only reason for prize tables imo is to grow the match, but if it's safe and well put together, the word will get out, and there won't be any shortage of shooters the next year.

Obviously there needs to be rules mainly focusing on SAFETY and rules to force the idea home that this is a Match focused on "Practical LR Hunting Techniques": and shooters need to plan /'conduct themselves accordingly.

PRS put a lot of effort and money to into prize tables, points brackets etc etc; to grow the sport, and membership, and it worked, but at the cost of practical marksmanship skills because now you have individuals who are more focused on getting in to the prize table then becoming better practice shooters
100%

What location would you be looking at hosting the match? I'm not familiar with Michigan or the topography there but it would offer some realistic stress if the shooters had to climb up and down some hills between stages.

Climbing uphill/downhill , and timed stages will eliminate almost 90% of senior shooters . Just a fact of life for the older generation , that I have been a member of , for several years .
I have no objections to up and down hills , even though i can't do those anymore .
However , you would need a course of fire that would allow maximum participation from ALL age classes , in order to establish this NEW "Simulated Hunting" shooting discipline/game , as a POPULAR activity .

Remember the shooting sports of F-Class and Silhouettes matches were originally "Dreamed-up" as a way that hunters could use their favorite HUNTING RIFLES as a means to compete against others , in a game of shooting skills .
The popularity of both of these rifle-shooting sports has grown so much , that you nearly NEVER will find a shooter using a hunting rifle in either of these sports . They have become a very specialized EQUIPMENT RACE .

DMP25-06

Climbing uphill/downhill , and timed stages will eliminate almost 90% of senior shooters . Just a fact of life for the older generation , that I have been a member of , for several years .
I have no objections to up and down hills , even though i can't do those anymore .
However , you would need a course of fire that would allow maximum participation from ALL age classes , in order to establish this NEW "Simulated Hunting" shooting discipline/game , as a POPULAR activity .

Remember the shooting sports of F-Class and Silhouettes matches were originally "Dreamed-up" as a way that hunters could use their favorite HUNTING RIFLES as a means to compete against others , in a game of shooting skills .
The popularity of both of these rifle-shooting sports has grown so much , that you nearly NEVER will find a shooter using a hunting rifle in either of these sports . They have become a very specialized EQUIPMENT RACE .

DMP25-06

Agreed.

We used to run those "stress" drills on students. Run the **** out of em, spin their turrets, unload their guns and bring em back to the line to complete a course of fire under time. It's tough, even for the young guys in primo shape.

IMO, you can evoke enough stress in a shooter simply placing a reasonable time limit on the stage of fire .60 sec, 90 sec. Obviously youre not getting the muscle burn, heavily breathing, etc but it's enough stress to get their heart beating faster, cause them to fumble their bullets, forget to dial their elevation etc. And you don't have to have an EMT with a defibrillator on standby. Lol

DMP25-06
I think you have a good point we don't want to limit the game to young guys who are in shape. But there are other sports like benchrest that are dominated by old guys with disposable income where the young guys don't stand a chance. Interestingly enough F-Class was in fact started by an old guy who used to shoot Palma but his eyes got too bad to see the iron sights so he came up with the idea of shooting with a scope so old guys could still be competitive even with failing eye sight. F-Class was started in Canada by the late George "Farky" Farquharson after whom the class is named.

I think you have a good point we don't want to limit the game to young guys who are in shape. But there are other sports like benchrest that are dominated by old guys with disposable income where the young guys don't stand a chance. Interestingly enough F-Class was in fact started by an old guy who used to shoot Palma but his eyes got too bad to see the iron sights so he came up with the idea of shooting with a scope so old guys could still be competitive even with failing eye sight. F-Class was started in Canada by the late George "Farky" Farquharson after whom the class is named.

Yes sir , I knew that F-Class was started in Canada , by "Farky" so that scopes could be used on rifles , and it was promoted as "Bring what you have , and compete against others , hunters , like yourself".

I have competed in both F-Open class ( Any cartridge , maximum weight 22 Pounds ) ,and F-TR class
( Military cartridges , 7.62mm or 5.56mm , maximum weight of 19#4oz., shot from bi-pods) , in 1000 yard and 600 yard matches held by the Texas State Rifle Association , State Championships , using my hunting rifles . My Remington Model 700 Sendero in 7mm Rem.Mag. , with a 6x24 Sightron S-III scope (total weight of 10# 8oz.) in F-Open class , and my .308 Win. Remington 700 5R Milspec , with Leupold Mark IV 4.5 x 14 scope in F-TR (total weight of 10# 8 oz., including bi-pod) .
I entered these matches just to compete against myself , and see how I would do against regular/dedicated competitors .
My best score at 600 yards was in F-TR , 1143 out of possible 1200 . (.308 Win. Rem 700 5R Milspec), year 2015 .
My best score at 1000 yards was in F-TR , 1130 out of possible 1200 . (.308 Win. Rem. 700 5R Milspec) year 2016 .
My F-Open score at 1000 yards was 1098 out of possible 1200 , using my Rem. 700 Sendero 7mm Rem.Mag. Year 2013 .
Both of these rifles were bought across-the-counter , NO modifications except changing the triggers to a Timney hunting trigger with 2# pull weight .

All of the competitors were WONDERFUL PEOPLE , but I knew after competing against them , shooting in relays along side of them , and spotting and scoring for them , I realized that if I wished to be able to really compete for the championships , I would have to spend a large sum of money and TIME, and travel .
TIME to pursue this pastime was what I did not have .
But it was a great experience .

DMP25-06

I really like your format, except for one possible omission! How about including, a strenuous 30 minute physical activity with the shooters full compliment of shooting paraphernalia (simulating an intense uphill walk to acquire the shot on game) immediately prior to making the shot (you, the OP determining the distance). With a very brief time window (again, the OP determines) to set-up and make the shot!

This scenario should somewhat replicate the hunting situations that many hunters find themselves in each season! memtb
I'm old. You trying to kill me before I get to shoot?!!

I'm old. You trying to kill me before I get to shoot?!!

While I'm only in my upper '60's and rapidly closing on 70, I'm only suggesting that some reality be placed into the competition. Most anyone can spend thousands of dollars on equipment/ components and shoot hundreds of rounds in practice and become quite proficient..... but, the hunter must still get within his/her acceptable shooting distance of their quarry. Often, this means a quick, very physical hike to get to a shooting position..... and then, only have moments to make an accurate shot!

And, yes.....I can't cover the terrain that is often required as well as I used to! Meaning, there are lots of missed opportunities ....but, that is hunting! memtb

Never too old to learn! That's what keeps me going in shooting sports. So much technology, new developments, techniques, gadgets, reloading, guys that have unique approaches that change your own, and just never stops! Its like reading a book that doesn't have an ending and keeps you glued to the storyline.