Long Range Hunting Match

Jud96

So I have been thinking about this for a little while and I have taken some time to put my idea into words. Before I start, I just want to say this is kind of a big thing to try and start up and I'm not sure how I could even go about this, but I figured I'd ask you guys about it first.

Here it is. I want to do a hunting style competition that is as close to real life scenarios as you could have while in a controlled environment. You will be limited on rifle weight, must range your targets, there will be a power factor involved, and the targets will be life size wooden silhouettes with steel targets for the vitals (except on coyotes and woodchucks.) I'll outline the details down below. My end goal would be to use this match to better our abilities as hunters and everyone would learn and benefit from it.

Targets will be from 50 yards to 1000+ yards. You will shoot standing, sitting, prone, and off natural objects like logs, stumps, and rocks. You don't have to be able to shoot long range to hit targets at this match. Imagine a 3D archery course but using a hunting rifle. You will not be given any ranges to the targets and the spotter can only tell you your impacts and will not be allowed to give you windage or elevation corrections or tell you where the targets are. This is similar to NRL Hunter but with the emphasis being on actual silhouettes and actual vital sized steel plates. Less PRS style shooting and more real world scenarios. I wouldn't want this to be a gear/equipment/money race. I want the average guy to be able to have the chance to be competitive without spending thousands on gadgets and gear. Please let me know what you think and what you would add, change, or want to see. Thanks!

3x Elk Targets
5x Deer Targets
3x Pronghorn Targets
3x Bear Targets
3x Coyote Targets
2x Bison Targets
5x Woodchuck Bonus Targets

24 Total Targets

101 total possible points

1st round hit = 3 points

2nd round hit = 1 point

Bonus Targets one shot only hit = 5 points

Rifle, rear bag, and front rest/bipod must weight less than 15lbs combined

Hunter Class must be above
Power Factor Weight x Velocity = 425,000

Example: 156 Berger x 2750fps = 429,000

Varmint Class
Any power factor under 425,000

Last edited:
I'd like it to be a timed event for the shooting as well getting from target to the next. As well, I'd like to see a hunter class gun, bipod and all at 10 lbs all up and ready to rock...make it as close to hunting as possible. Plus for the hunter class drop the spotter concept. Just a thunk...

In order to make targets inexpensive just go with 9" paper plates

I like where you are going with this.
I am part of a private group that shoots a 'Rendezvous' annually. I have hosted it twice and it is a lot of work.
I can say 24 targets is a lot, even more so depending on how large a group your competitors are. It takes time to run everyone through. Questionable hits at long distance that need to be visually confirmed 'after' the shot is a time killer.
Have a rock solid scoring method, and have only one or two scorers throughout the event. People score differently and it could lead to disgruntled shooters if they feel they got robbed, or another scorer was too generous.
Trying to keep the interest of the shooters 'on-deck' is also a challenge, which may be compounded by weather conditions (especially if it is hot).
Have a pre-declared rule about any weapon & ammo malfunctions when on the line. Weapon malfunctions are also a major safety item for some shooters when they get frustrated (young & novice shooters). Some shooters may be shooting platforms that are not theirs and they are not familiar with the safety features, how to clear malfunctions, how to make it safe, etc.
Since feral hogs are now a problem in Michigan, I might trim the quantity of other target animals and add a hog & piglet target to keep it fun.
Keeping the comp a fun event is a challenge. Maybe throw in a few handgun challenge bonus targets as well.

So I have been thinking about this for a little while and I have taken some time to put my idea into words. Before I start, I just want to say this is kind of a big thing to try and start up and I'm not sure how I could even go about this, but I figured I'd ask you guys about it first.

Here it is. I want to do a hunting style competition that is as close to real life scenarios as you could have while in a controlled environment. You will be limited on rifle weight, must range your targets, there will be a power factor involved, and the targets will be life size wooden silhouettes with steel targets for the vitals (except on coyotes and woodchucks.) I'll outline the details down below. My end goal would be to use this match to better our abilities as hunters and everyone would learn and benefit from it.

Targets will be from 50 yards to 1000+ yards. You will shoot standing, sitting, prone, and off natural objects like logs, stumps, and rocks. You don't have to be able to shoot long range to hit targets at this match. Imagine a 3D archery course but using a hunting rifle. You will not be given any ranges to the targets and the spotter can only tell you your impacts and will not be allowed to give you windage or elevation corrections or tell you where the targets are. This is similar to NRL Hunter but with the emphasis being on actual silhouettes and actual vital sized steel plates. Less PRS style shooting and more real world scenarios. I wouldn't want this to be a gear/equipment/money race. I want the average guy to be able to have the chance to be competitive without spending thousands on gadgets and gear. Please let me know what you think and what you would add, change, or want to see. Thanks!

3x Elk Targets
5x Deer Targets
3x Pronghorn Targets
3x Bear Targets
3x Coyote Targets
2x Bison Targets

24 Total Targets

1st round hit = 3 points

2nd round hit = 1 point

Varmint Class
So I would probably want to expand on what real world scenario is. While PRS is suppose to be "tactical" games, there are things that are real world, and things that are not.

For instance: building a shooting position on the fly IS real world. If you're not good at it, you lose a lot of opportunity. On the flip side, most targets aren't walking around with AK's and PKM's, and you don't have to coordinate with an assault team or have been staring at the target for 2 weeks while ****ing yourself. There's no stalking in PRS either. Nothing really "tactical" about it.

So for real world, you will still need to be quick at building a shooting position, and hitting silhouette steel isn't good enough, you need (should) be in a vital zone for however you set up scoring. In example of real world,

I will add that we have a 'King of the Mountain' belt buckle which is rather gaudy awarded to the winner. Every year the previous winners get to wear the buckles and do a bit of bragging. We also have a 'Boner Award' because with a group of friends somebody is going to do something so stupid it gets them a new handle.

I am not a fan of the timed aspect of the competition. I am a firm believer that a rushed shot more than likely will cause a wounded animal and I would not want to instill a bad habit. Also, you may consider deduction of points for hits not in the vital zone. Hey, just my opinion. Good luck and it does sound like fun.

The vital zone will be a steel swinger target that will be the approximate size and shape of the vitals of the game target, except the coyotes and woodchuck targets. The silhouette will be plywood minus the vitals. I like the idea of deducting points for a wounding shot, but seeing the hits in the wood might be difficult. So a miss is no points added or deducted. Hits will be a clear "ding" from the plate and it visually swinging. As far as the amount of targets, that was just an example and I wasn't sure if it would be too much or too little. I'm trying to keep it as real as I can without shooting actual animals. I think I'd like to do a set time for each stage, but make it like 5 minutes for 2 targets. Something that won't take all day but won't rush you too much.

I hear what you're saying about the time, but to me in a hunter class I'd say yes as hunting is more often than not a hit the ground and get into action now kind of deal. We don't always have time to bake a cake before we drop the hammer.:)

I always thought it would be cool to have a stock rifle class in a 3D type shoot like your talking about. Have a real world $ limit and maybe even factory ammunition class. It would be cool ( to me) to see what factory rifle/ammunition emerges near the top. I'd guess weatherby but we all know it's more about the guy behind the gun. Wish I had time to compete in something like your talking about

3x Elk Targets
5x Deer Targets
3x Pronghorn Targets
3x Bear Targets
3x Coyote Targets
2x Bison Targets

24 Total Targets

1st round hit = 3 points

2nd round hit = 1 point

Varmint Class
the Hornady rifle match is a good one also.

I am not a fan of the timed aspect of the competition. I am a firm believer that a rushed shot more than likely will cause a wounded animal and I would not want to instill a bad habit. Also, you may consider deduction of points for hits not in the vital zone. Hey, just my opinion. Good luck and it does sound like fun.
I went to a precision rifle type match that wasn't timed. If foul language was tolerated here I'd have plenty. People would honest to God get up there and just wait a few minutes for the wind to die down, for every shot. A match that should've taken 2-3 hours took like 6. Plus as other have mentioned, especially in the case of closer distances, the game doesn't always wait. To me it's a case where yes a rushed shot at distance is a bad idea however if you practice getting in position more quickly a shot that would've been rushed maybe isn't now. It might also be neat to have penalty targets. Like if you miss the first shot you have to make a follow up on a further/smaller target. As if you missed or made a poor hit animal dips below the ridge and reappears further away. May be hard to incorporate and score though.

Also I'd probably break the scoring into major and minor or something or allow lower PF for youths with 6.5 cm 😉