Long Range Hunting Match

I would like to add I think your over all power factor should be added into your score. Make it high risk, high reward. Otherwise you'll only see 6.5s on the field for the guys that are in it to win it. Not having a spotter to help spot impacts will rule out most any magnum cartridge and there will be no reason to shoot anything more than a 6.5 creed or a 6.5 prc. I do believe it should be no spotter to help spot impacts. Maybe take 10% of your total PF and add it to the score? Just spitballing here

What location would you be looking at hosting the match? I'm not familiar with Michigan or the topography there but it would offer some realistic stress if the shooters had to climb up and down some hills between stages.

I like this concept that the whole point should be to test yourself and not necessarily against someone else. The points system would be just a gauge to measure how you do for future "shoots" but more importantly this "shoot" becomes real world "practice" that will definitely help you make that shot on an animal when you need to. I don't go into a archery 3D shoot to win it but to practice for upcoming season.

However, I can see a "shoot" become a "match" but maybe there can be two different concepts here to consider. Those who wish to shoot in a bona fide match and those who just want to shoot. Possibly two different entries not to confuse participants? There are going to be some real serious shooters that want to have a match to test their skills in a competitive setting and others (like myself) that are probably considered "rookies" and just want to "stretch" their equipment out and maybe gain some knowledge from other shooters.
The two different concepts definetely could be used at the same time. Just define the differences prior to shooting. i lost the desire to shoot matches so I'm biased. I was a state champion in PPC and western regional champion for IDPA. But I looked at the matches as additional training. And after some time I got tired of the "gaming" involved as I was only concerned with the real world applications of the sport.

I think the PF is a good idea to keep it a hunting competition and not allowing it to devolve into PRS. I think It could work well like hunting regulations where in a given season it is legal to hunt with any lesser means because it sets you at a disadvantage anyway. Meaning that in bow season only bows can be used but in rifle season bows can still be used. So if a person wants to shoot a small caliber varmint cartridge that's fine but they will compete in the varmint class against other guys shooting those advantaged low recoil calibers. But a guy shooting a magnum caliber in the hunter class can compete against the hunter class and also enter and compete in the varmint class although knowing he would be at a disadvantage.

I think the PF is a good idea to keep it a hunting competition and not allowing it to devolve into PRS. I think It could work well like hunting regulations where in a given season it is legal to hunt with any lesser means because it sets you at a disadvantage anyway. Meaning that in bow season only bows can be used but in rifle season bows can still be used. So if a person wants to shoot a small caliber varmint cartridge that's fine but they will compete in the varmint class against other guys shooting those advantaged low recoil calibers. But a guy shooting a magnum caliber in the hunter class can compete against the hunter class and also enter and compete in the varmint class although knowing he would be at a disadvantage.
I agree with this 100%. This is exactly how I feel about it. I like @Creedmoor shooter 's idea of adding points for a higher power factor. I think if there were brackets like 425k-450k, 451k-475k, 476k-500k etc and each bracket above minimum would be worth 2 points with a maximum of 8 points. That way the field wouldn't be dominated with minimum spec cartridges. Those who chose to use a magnum would benefit with added points from the start but would have to deal with more recoil and less chance of spotting their impacts.

I agree with this 100%. This is exactly how I feel about it. I like @Creedmoor shooter 's idea of adding points for a higher power factor. I think if there were brackets like 425k-450k, 451k-475k, 476k-500k etc and each bracket above minimum would be worth 2 points with a maximum of 8 points. That way the field wouldn't be dominated with minimum spec cartridges. Those who chose to use a magnum would benefit with added points from the start but would have to deal with more recoil and less chance of spotting their impacts.
I like this idea. It would definitely make people think hard about their cartridge choice instead of just going with the smallest round they can get away with

I would recommend that you don't put too many rules. Hunters already have quite a few rules, after that it should be just common sense rules related to safety and ethical shots.

I am also considering the penalty factor.... After all, what does a complete miss mean compared to "bad hit"? In terms of method and technique, and other factors, did the bad hit shooter do anything worse than the complete miss shooter? Should s/he be penalized for being closer to the POI?

I think so long as people keep their focus on the fact that the point of this match is to becomes a better practical shooter / hunter and to test their skills; as opposed to winning / racking up the points by any means necessary, you should be able to keep the gaming to a minimum. Personally I don't see the need for prize tables and expensive awards or any awards for that matter. Coming out and testing your skills at a well put together,SAFE, practical LR hunting match is reward enough. Only reason for prize tables imo is to grow the match, but if it's safe and well put together, the word will get out, and there won't be any shortage of shooters the next year.

Obviously there needs to be rules mainly focusing on SAFETY and rules to force the idea home that this is a Match focused on "Practical LR Hunting Techniques": and shooters need to plan /'conduct themselves accordingly.

PRS put a lot of effort and money to into prize tables, points brackets etc etc; to grow the sport, and membership, and it worked, but at the cost of practical marksmanship skills because now you have individuals who are more focused on getting in to the prize table then becoming better practical shooters.

Last edited:

Recent Posts