Long Range Hunting Match

Timnterra and Rustyshackleford ,

I just threw out those 3 cartridges as examples .

If I were shooting a match as described , I would be shooting a Magnum class cartridge of some caliber , that would effectively deliver a bullet with more than enough energy and velocity to be able to harvest an animal at 1000+ yards .

There might need to be some criteria of energy delivered when engaging targets at distances of 800 - 1000 yards .

Just my thoughts .
DMP25-06
That's why I suggested maybe different power factors or a youth division because invariably if it took off people would shoot the heaviest gun in the smallest caliber that met PF. If it's cold bore and a follow up it's less of an issue. If it's strings of fire the gamers would come out if the woodwork and bring all type of crazy stuff to try to get just a little edge on the field

I really like your format, except for one possible omission! How about including, a strenuous 30 minute physical activity with the shooters full compliment of shooting paraphernalia (simulating an intense uphill walk to acquire the shot on game) immediately prior to making the shot (you, the OP determining the distance). With a very brief time window (again, the OP determines) to set-up and make the shot!

This scenario should somewhat replicate the hunting situations that many hunters find themselves in each season! memtb

Multiple targets at each stage has been normal for a few of 3D shoots I have been at. Speeds up shooters, reduces pass thru time, reduces landscape required for total targets. All sorts of setups to enhance simulated shooting conditions. I was thinking maybe of a bonus target or even breaking a clay bird at distance. Or a moving target at end stage?

Okay I'll answer a few questions. This is just all things that I would like to see in this plausible match. I set the power factor high so you are forced to use heavy hitters or heavy for caliber bullets in cartridges like 6.5/260 and 270/280. I don't want people showing up with impractical "hunting" rifles. That's why there will be a Varmint class so you can use the lighter recoiling and smaller caliber rifles in that.

Next, I want each stage to be a blind stage. So shooters cannot watch other shooters or scan the area for the targets until it's their time to go. This will make the stages as equally difficult and fair as possible.

I like the idea of being able to pick your shooting positions. I think that would be nice so a shooter can choose to rest off a downed tree, shoot off their knee, from a fence post etc. That would add to the realism and your choice of shooting positions could benefit you differently than others based on personal skills or experiences. I would however want there to be shooting positions that you have to shoot from in some stages. Like a ground blind, standing position, mock tree stand, etc.

For the bonus targets, I would like there to be one bonus target per stage. This would be the woodchucks/groundhog targets I mentioned. You can choose to shoot them or not, up to you. If you miss you just added time to your stage and no additional points. If you hit it, you get 5 points. You only get one shot at the bonus target. It can be shot at any point in the stage and is 100% up to the shooter to shoot at it or not.

I set the power factor high so you are forced to use heavy hitters or heavy for caliber bullets in cartridges like 6.5/260 and 270/280. I don't want people showing up with impractical "hunting" rifles.
Whaaat? We can't use our PRS rigs? No gaming the game with 22 lb 6mms, shooting match bullets above max load?

I would consider the weight of the rifle limitation though. Even for varmit. Guys on this forum don't like carrying extra weight. It would be a shame to see people show up to a competition with a heavy rifle to keep recoil down lol

Also there still should be stage rules on equipment. If not, the smarter of us will just bring tripods with arcas or saddles to build positions.

People will always try to game the game.

Last edited:
Whaaat? We can't use our PRS rigs? No gaming the game with 22 lb 6mms, shooting match bullets above max load?

I would consider the weight of the rifle limitation though. Even for varmit. Guys on this forum don't like carrying extra weight. It would be a shame to see people show up to a competition with a heavy rifle to keep recoil down lol

Also there still should be stage rules on equipment. If not, the smarter of us will just bring tripods with arcas or saddles to build positions.

People will always try to game the game.
The weight limit would be 15lbs including rifle, scope, rear bag, and front rest/bipod. No tripods unless it's a small tripod that will be used as a front rest. The power factor is high and the rifle weight isn't very high so people will have to use actual hunting type rifles in hunting cartridges with hunting loads. I have nothing against PRS, benchrest, F-class, etc. I just want this to not be a game of bending rules. I know if this match ever becomes a reality there will be try hards lol. My ultimate goal is for hunters of all ages and skill levels to come enjoy this, better themselves, and test their abilities and want to come back to improve.

Power Factor
Seems to me having a varmint class encourages "gamers" to compete but for a "hunting" match so dedicated to things like power factor, why allow 22-250's on elk targets at 1000yards? Is that practical for hunting purposes? Would varmint class only shoot at varmint targets thus limiting their potential points?

Gear
If this is to be a hunting match, hunting gear should be used. It would be silly to discourage use of a tripod for glassing/shooting when they are extremely effective in hunting. Learning to set up on the clock just like in the field would be the way to go. I would recommend no preset gear (no predialed turrets, not extended bipods/tripods, Etc) If you can carry it in the field it should be carried in a match with the exception of perhaps some themed stages perhaps. However, tripods shouldn't be used in all stages because gear fails in the field.

Dope
Any plans for DQing shooters without adequate DOPE? Kentucky windage with a 3-9sfp isn't what I would consider encouraging.

CLOCK
Definitely need to be timed stages for all the reasons already mentioned

Round count
Stages should limited so a top loader can also be competitive, however, reloads are very important and ammo fails in the field for many reasons.

Weight
Having considered setting up a similar match in Michigan, I personally wouldn't restrict weight IF you have the space/terrain to naturally discourage it. "Capitalism" will win out if you have to hump a 25lb rifle around. If you don't have the space or terrain to naturally limit this, then an all inclusive gear weight might be an option sorta like the Assassins Way is doing with a gear list check in. If this is a Western Hunting match, not many people would hunt with just a rifle but if its an eastern hunt, well, a rifle, truck keys and a snickers if anout all that is needed for 50yrd shots from a heated ground blind.

TARGETS
Hit to move on or hit what you can find?
Points for correct ranging or encouraging point blank zero's? Does it matter?

I like the idea of forced success so penalties for bad shots is great as no one wants to encourage that in the field. I thought of doing reverse scoring where a shooter starts with full points and looses points for each miss or passed over target but perhaps a heavy penalty for a miss equal to the stage would be sufficient? 4pt target but a miss is -3 or -4pts so if you recover then you walk away with 1 pt or a zero but not negative. This will very quickly wreck people that are flinging hopes/dreams down range as you can recover from crappy shot choices.

Perhaps the "weight limit" could be like basic training PT torture.

"Bring whatever you want..."

"Well, whatever you want that you can hold one handed, at arms length, for 30 seconds before shooting each stage..."
That will help clear up any future questions they may have on what they consider "critical" equipment. 😂

Last edited:
I like the suggestions of WiscGunner.

I would add weight - set it up as a handicap system - >=10lb rifle is a 0.8 multiplier, >=9lb is a 1.0, >=8lb is a 1.1 multiplier, >=7lb is a 1.3 multiplier, >=6lb is a 1.5 multiplier, <6lb is a 1.7 multiplier.

Hits and misses - what is the worst thing you can do when shooting at an animal? Hit is, but not kill it. So.... 3 points for a killing shot, -6 points for a wounding shot, and -4 points for a clean miss (and no more shots on that target).
IMHO only one shot at a critter - except varmits.

Time limits - absolutely. Grazing animals don't wait.

Bonus points for snap targets, but that could be hard to pull together.

Rather than muzzle energy, look at energy on target. There is no way someone can cleanly kill a Bison (american buffalo) at 600 with a 140gn bullet launched at 3000fps. Power commensurate with the quarry.

Last edited:
I like the suggestions of WiscGunner.

I would add weight - set it up as a handicap system - >=10lb rifle is a 0.8 multiplier, >=9lb is a 1.0, >=8lb is a 1.1 multiplier, >=7lb is a 1.3 multiplier, >=6lb is a 1.5 multiplier, <6lb is a 1.7 multiplier.

Hits and misses - what is the worst thing you can do when shooting at an animal? Hit is, but not kill it. So.... 3 points for a killing shot, -6 points for a wounding shot, and -4 points for a clean miss (and no more shots on that target).
IMHO only one shot at a critter - except varmits.

Time limits - absolutely. Grazing animals don't wait.

Bonus points for snap targets, but that could be hard to pull together.

Rather than muzzle energy, look at energy on target. There is no way someone can cleanly kill a Bison (american buffalo) at 600 with a 140gn bullet launched at 3000fps. Power commensurate with the quarry.
That last little bit is gonna blow up the phones in the feelings department