Long range Hammer

mmm , maybe i need an update in bullets tecnology , i don't know what hig tec .50 caliber bullets are you comparing the cheytac whit, if some one point me in the right direction would be great.

Master Driver just poasted a link with a good example of a 50 cal with a bc of 1+. The A-Max is another. I have read fourms where the 50 cal guys talk about 800 grain "Bore Riders" . I am sure that there are a lot more. I am not involved in the 50 in any way....to much $$$ for me at this time.....But someday, I would love the have a custom built on the new BAT action.:D

If the anti's start up again....it may be sooner, rather than later!!!

I think any of them will get it done well.

I quess if you go to 2000 m then we are in a whole new league !

I have not heard much positive or negative about the 416 m99 as far as accuracy goes. Do not believe everything you see on future weapons about cold bore shots at 2500 ! Editing is a great tool for making cold bore shots !

Why not just go buy a M 200 CT and have the ultimate in cool ?

( PS I love the badass look of the INTERVENTION ! )

I think you would be better off getting Kirby or Shawn to build a 338 AM or 375 AM with a great accuracy guarantee. I'm not sure what the guys in Arco ID guarantee their big guns to produce ?

Good luck. Either way it should be exciting !

DUH

DUH

The Model 200 is cool looking I will give you that. However it is to heavy for hunting. The model M310 R is a better choice and nonly at 7.5 kg.
I am also now considering a 375 CheyTac maybe by Black Diamond Rifles, they seem to offer a fine rifle well capable of +1000m shoots.

Cheers,

Master Diver

I have shot a lot of 50 cal stuff. I taught ballistics and marksmanship at 1st. Marine Division Sniper School in the early 90's. I have shot everything from ball ammo to 1 B.C. bore riders, steel bullets, half hard bronze, etc. I do not enjoy shooting them, they are too loud, the muzzle blast always made my haed hurt, most are not very accurate, and those that are, are too heavy.

I have an EDM's arms 408 Cheytac. It is about as big of a rilfe as I want to shoot much.

I think you should look at one of the big Allen mags, the new 416 that Black Diamond has, and an EDM's rifles (check their web site) then go with one of them. That way you not only have the super magnum, but more importantly a quality built accurate rifle.

we dont have to compare the 50bmg vs 408 cheytac beyond 1000 yrd the cheytac is a harder hitter an alot more accurate

Simply not possiable the heavier, larger diameter 50 will hit harder . It is momentum that transfers not KE. Remember Newton's 3 Laws Of Motion they deal with momentum, momentum tranfers and acceleration, they do not deal with energy relationships

Marine Sniper

Thanks for your advice. Your thinking is right down my alley. It is nice to hear the openion of a pro.
I do NOT want a .50 cal rifle, and have stated that several times in the posts above, the .50 caliber is NOT what I need and want.
I am considering 375 Cheytac, 408 Cheytac and 416 CheyTac rifles made by good custom builders. I do however need a rifle from a builder whom are abloe to export it to Europe.
416, 408 Cheytac or 375 Cheytac is enough gun for my needs - hunting at longe distances.

Cheeers,

Master Diver

Last edited:
You are setting yourself up for a huge expence down the road.....Why, you ask?? Simple. You choose the Chytec or the Barret.....Then he buys, or builds a 50 BMG. Now.....you will need to trump the 50 BMG....."Those are the rules"!!;) Big expence!!! Kind of tough to do, don't you think??

I would go directly to the 50 BMG......make HIM trump the 50 BMG. Hell, you can buy a turn key Armalite AR 50 for under 3 grand. Sure , you will need to buy all new loading and cleaning stuff. But hey....so what....."THOSE ARE THE RULES":D

I am just a little curious.....where did you guys start at for guns.......BB guns.....22RF maybe?:)

Good luck with that!!

I hope you guys all realize that my post was written "tongue in cheek". I wasn't realy serious about actualy buying a 50 cal. It was written in regaurds to the "those are the rules" line which, if I had to guess , was also "tongue in cheek".

But realy....wouldn't it be cool to own a real tac driver BMG??? Practical......Not so much!!:D

I hope you guys all realize that my post was written "tongue in cheek". I wasn't realy serious about actualy buying a 50 cal. It was written in regaurds to the "those are the rules" line which, if I had to guess , was also "tongue in cheek".

But realy....wouldn't it be cool to own a real tac driver BMG??? Practical......Not so much!!:D

Any gun is cool :D.
I wanted a .50 cal. at some point but when I realized that I could not use it for hunting in most countries, I lost interest. I have however hunted with my .500 Jeffery a smaller .50 cal 535 grn at 2400 fps.
The .408 on the other hand is legal most places, maybe not in the feature :cool: who knows.
I have made up my mind and are getting a 408 CheyTac, more will follow.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Any gun is cool :D.
I wanted a .50 cal. at some point but when I realized that I could not use it for hunting in most countries, I lost interest. I have however hunted with my .500 Jeffery a smaller .50 cal 535 grn at 2400 fps.
The .408 on the other hand is legal most places, maybe not in the feature :cool: who knows.
I have made up my mind and are getting a 408 CheyTac, more will follow.

Cheers,

Master Diver

The only problem with the Cheytac would be the bullets.....If I did my homework correctly.....HAHA.....they pretty much only offer solid, non-expanding bullets. To be legal for big game around here, they must be designed to expand.

I could be wrong....

The only problem with the Cheytac would be the bullets.....If I did my homework correctly.....HAHA.....they pretty much only offer solid, non-expanding bullets. To be legal for big game around here, they must be designed to expand.

I could be wrong....

You are wrong:D

GS Custom Bullets offer a solid 370 grn Copper bullet in .408, I will give it a spinn when I get the rifle.

Here is the link:
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

Looks like this:

Cheers,

Master Diver

HVbullets.jpg

HVmedium.jpg

You are wrong:D

GS Custom Bullets offer a solid 370 grn Copper bullet in .408, I will give it a spinn when I get the rifle.

Here is the link:
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

Looks like this:

Cheers,

Master Diver

HVbullets.jpg

HVmedium.jpg

Yep....I was wrong!!!:D

BUT......................

In my defence (other than being an idiot)....

We now have gone down to "only" 631 BC. Kind of lost that ulta long range, monster bc that the factory round had.

I know, I know.....it is a POOR defence!!

Montana Bullets has some awesome jacketed bullets for the 408, HPBT, Poly tips, bonded, ect. coming soon. I tested the HP for accuracy and exceeded my expectations.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.