Long range bullets at close range

Gday hardrock
I think you mean amax not apex 🤷‍♂️
Apex fractured & fractured vrs blow up are 2 different things in my world while being the same outcome on big critters which is lack of penertration
I believe mark is working on or may have worked on the fracture component so I don't want to sound like I'm trying to down play his bullets as they work well if we use them appropriately & stay off big bone @ high velocity impact just like so many bullet brands have there weaknesses & I'll include hammers but they have covered more bases than any other brand for me hands down & while still testing you wait till the prototypes are released yep they are good I've yet to find a weakness but give me time more pills on the way 😎

Moving on : & above was all I was going to type but keep looking @ popped up messages since hard rocks post

maybe I should have stopped there 🤷‍♂️but I've just taken my meds so I'll blame them lol
Man here this place goes again
Oh but this pill has killed thousands or the critter is dead so it's not a issue well to those people just shoot what you want but please understand some people like to move forward & find a better killing pill & some of the newer pills kill way more efficiently than the great old corelox to name one good pill well on my results they have & it's why I no longer shoot them like partition, hmantel gpa , taipan etc Yes the bar has been raised since those days well that's my world results & my thoughts & why I am still searching for the holy grail

I have failed most bullets on the market in critters or @ a minimum found weaknesses (( a few new ones I've not bothered with as my time & health is not what it use to be ) , some true solids I've been unable to fail or along with the prototype hammer but I'm not done yet

Here's a bit of a snapshot of where pills have weaknesses imo these weaknesses can still & for the most part do kill but I'm not one who likes to track , do grid patterns get the dogs to follow up or wait for birds to circle etc as those are failures on what I expect a pill to be able to get done if I do my part on placement

Tips on angles especially bone don't preform well & then the overall pill design comes into play as it bonded or not also plays into this

Tip pills were ones I hated yet the accubond was a go to pill for so many applications due to consistency & the velocity window they worked well in for me yet still had some limitations, the amax was a extremely good killing pill when things went well but when it didn't bets were off yes stay off bone once again comes up that is so critical to help stop erratic results
But tips are great for a consistent product from feeding to trigger squeeze & somewhat more on opening consistently across various resistances than a hp

Hollow points have their down fall also from clogged to nosed over & erratic opening ( I believe this is also hp diameter specific ) with bergers not immune to penciling especially low resistances yes it's not only monos that pencil
the hornady BTHP that if you didn't clean the hp up you got erratic results yet put that in the crease on blesbok & springbok & around 90% bangflops to a couple steps yet come back on shoulder bone & this dropped to around 30% which was still good but then you had to look @ the failures & while small % it was a regular occurrence especially on drives & this is off some fairly substantial numbers taken not single or double digit numbers

Exposed lead tip have their issues from magazine damage to hardness softness of lead let alone jacket & type of jacket angles on bones are also a issue
Protected points dual cores or inserts have their issues

Monos a few designs that behave differently & kill differently some are natorious @ penciling just like I've seen occasionally with Berger on smaller critters
The mushroom variety tend to need more speed to kill efficiently but penertration is seldom a issue but on average these mushroom monos have smaller permanent wound channels

The wad cutter / shedding design the best I've used when those companies get it correct but watch the wad cutter type as your shank here is the key get that wrong & watch turns @ lower velocity occur on certain angles / resistance & wound channel is also relatively smaller if the wad cutter design is not correct

Penertration is one ive found to be a extremely important factor as shallow penertration gets more problems than over penertration yet I get the energy dump idea as I lived by it for years but exits are more consistent killers if you don't have penciling

more & more people are using smaller calibers on bigger critters & even though yes I'm guilty but I do believe no substitute for a bigger diameter & then you can somewhat over come the need to stay off bone eg with hornady a 243 87 gr bthp is erratic on goat shoulders where a 338 250 gr bthp has little difficulty step the 338 up to horses & it's a poor choice & need to stay behind the shoulder but when your chasing horses try staying off shoulder on running shots yes I can't with certainty & I class myself as a pretty good shot on the run so I tip my hat to the ones who can with consistency & go ahead still use your 250 grainers

I like velocity as tof takes risk out of so many things

still room for improvement on every company imo that has pills on the market to the public
It's the behind the scenes work that's going on that's trying to lessen the issues briefly mentioned above or even better stop on every pill brand weaknesses that's the fascinating one for me personally

I know we are so lucky to have so many good pills & everyone shoot what they like but if it's one thing I'd like people to consider is support the smaller companies & while the likes or Barnes, Berger , hornady , sierra, nosler etc ultimately they will not listen to guys like us as they shrug off the less than ideal results that have showed up as they are just to big to give a dam & quality is not as stringent to fine tune for even better terminal results
it's only competition between them that makes them lift the bar on new designs or they just copy or buy out a smaller company who has got some great results
Just my thoughts on them but still value what they are doing for us

For me It's knowing & understanding a pill's weaknesses that we can help lessen the likelihood of a less than ideal results but if we put our head in the sand just take your number & wait your number will be called out one day well it is for the ones like me that can't guarantee I can place that pill exactly where I want it due to animal behaviour &or angles , my shooting ability , climatic conditions etc but then again I'm not worried on my choice of pills these days I just know the bar can still be raised so I try & help where I can to get a even better killing pill that covers more bases than what we already have today , yes I'm greedy !! & probably p—s some off but I want more & believe it's out there ( yes this I know with some certainty)
But that's me & ea to their own & wish them the best no offence intended
Stay Safe & shoot straight

Sorry for long winded post & may have gone over the same thing a few times let alone unclear but my meds are really kicking in so a bit foggy @ present & accept my apology in advance it's just what I've found on my journey & what I push / show to a few that will talk /discuss & tinker
Which ultimately allows me to learn more
Yep I'm a greedy sum of B
Cheers
fordy ,enjoyed reading your post , agree 100 percent with everything you posted. Thanks for your response ,always looking forward too reading your long post .

I've shot several whitetail with Berger VLD (168 7mm, 6.5 mm 140 VLD, 205 EH 30 cal) and at ranges from 50 to several hundred.

Some behind the crease, some right through front leg in front of the crease, and all deer were dead within 50 yards. Shot in the crease has resulted in no exits or blood but dead deer within 50 yards. Shot more through the shoulder has resulted in DRT. One or two shot in chest while facing me has led to DRT as well.

No muss, no fuss, just good results.

Use your best judgement!

If I were certain that every shot offered, would be a standing, broadside, and I was absolutely certain of a behind the shoulder bullet placement, I too, might consider using a cup and core. As those are not certainties …..I prefer what I consider the best bullets in a bad situation! memtb
They can be if that's the shot you wait for. I use ELD-X, NBT and AccuBond. When I'm using one of the non-bonded bullets and I have a game animal under 100 yards, I wait for a double lung shot. If it doesn't present, I don't take the shot. Easy

They can be if that's the shot you wait for. I use ELD-X, NBT and AccuBond. When I'm using one of the non-bonded bullets and I have a game animal under 100 yards, I wait for a double lung shot. If it doesn't present, I don't take the shot. Easy

I don't have unlimited hunting opportunities, and I like to eat…..easy! memtb

When the bullet destroys the vitals, and other organs and often heavy, support bone…..death is rather quick and humane!

It's not higher risk, if you have a bullet adequate for the job! memtb
Gday memtb
Spot on sir

It took me a while to understand no matter how patient or good @ reading animal behaviour i believe I was I could not guarantee that on the squeeze of the trigger the animal will not spin on a dime , lunge forward or is a harder quarter than i believe it to be etc ( especially in scrub that you can't see the legs ) then add in my human error & then i realised this muppet needs insurance on what a pill needs to do

Well I'll admit I need it I also miss shots & not afraid to say any of that & one I'm proud of admiring but I'm also extremely proud to say that since I've worked out that I wasn't as good as I thought & needed a pill to cover more angles & or resistances than I once thought my life has became pretty simple these days yep bang get your knife out not oh crap now what way did it go

One question is it's different on this side of the ditch 🤷‍♂️ or am I looking @ this wrong or doing something wrong🤷‍♂️

I'll eat crow like I have before & will again once I'm shown so please fire away

Cheers

Gday memtb
Spot on sir

It took me a while to understand no matter how patient or good @ reading animal behaviour i believe I was I could not guarantee that on the squeeze of the trigger the animal will not spin on a dime , lunge forward or is a harder quarter than i believe it to be etc ( especially in scrub that you can't see the legs ) then add in my human error & then i realised this muppet needs insurance on what a pill needs to do

Well I'll admit I need it I also miss shots & not afraid to say any of that & one I'm proud of admiring but I'm also extremely proud to say that since I've worked out that I wasn't as good as I thought & needed a pill to cover more angles & or resistances than I once thought my life has became pretty simple these days yep bang get your knife out not oh crap now what way did it go

One question is it's different on this side of the ditch 🤷‍♂️ or am I looking @ this wrong or doing something wrong🤷‍♂️

I'll eat crow like I have before & will again once I'm shown so please fire away

Cheers
That's why I shoot Hammers , I hit the double lung more often than not , I like the shoulder shot , with that shot I look for pretty much DRT, with the lung shot or angling through the shoulders not hitting either one I expect a 75 yd death run , If I get a bang flop witch will happen sometimes that's a bonus. Bottom line with a Hammer bullet you will have a dead animal within point of bullet impact to 75 yds or so no matter where the vitals are hit , shoulder shots included . Tha bullet performs for me the same every time from point blank too 1800 fps .

Im 57 yrs old and have hunted many things on couple of continents , with more than a few bullet type and brands .
the bullet market is full of claims and marketing hype over performance of expansion and BC .
most guys want a signed sealed contract on a dead right there kill at any range any bullet placement even if hit in the ear or toe of the animal !

my ambition and training consist of building a rifle ,handload ,dopesheet,rangefinder, that works well together.
i cut off my distance at 150 fps higher than the bullet expansion velocity , with my testing and not the claim form company marketing .i am a bullet testing snob ,all my friends shake they're heads at my obsession. Its my curiosity and hobby mostly. But this testing and training is just a small faction of the money spent on a guided hunt with one opportunity to put a tag on a game animal . staying above 2000 fps i see alot of hydrostatic shocking on game and take very few shots at distances below that velocity.
i then practice all yr to give my self the best confidence and skill to PLACE the bullet where it needs to go.
bullet placement is KEY, not bullet construction .
a bad hit is a bad hit not bullets fault.
everybody is concerned about lead these days , i get it , but until the states that i hunt in passes laws about using only monos i will continue to use copper and lead core bullets .
the reason is BC advantage and longer distance performance as expansion fps requirements are mostly lower than monos.
i have used maker and hammer monos with success others havent made the cut in MY testing , they worked but left me with shorter distances to hunt with in.
pick a bullet that shoots well in your rifle stay inside of YOUR effective range of being able to place a bullet on the mark!

have fun training and plan the shot perimeters ahead of time ,
your success rates will increase
Caliber and bullet arguments do not put meat on the table ,training does !
all this is MY opinion and advice , based on my experiences, which is exactly worth what you paid for it

I didn't want this thread to turn into what it did… bullet hate and arguing. Congratulations, that's what you've done.

For the record, I've hunted with mono's and had success (181HH out of my 300WM).
But I build a rifle with a ton less recoil to shoot the crap out of and practice long range and no doubt I was taking it hunting every chance I get otherwise I wouldn't have built it.

I chose the 156 EOL for my 6.5x284 because I can get expansion and lethal shots in a much larger window than with a mono that needs to stay above 1800fps for reliable expansion.
Is it the choice for you, apparently not, that's fine, but it's my choice. I didn't ask what bullet I should use, I asked about a type of shot.

I didn't want this thread to turn into what it did… bullet hate and arguing. Congratulations, that's what you've done.

For the record, I've hunted with mono's and had success (181HH out of my 300WM).
But I build a rifle with a ton less recoil to shoot the crap out of and practice long range and no doubt I was taking it hunting every chance I get otherwise I wouldn't have built it.

I chose the 156 EOL for my 6.5x284 because I can get expansion and lethal shots in a much larger window than with a mono that needs to stay above 1800fps for reliable expansion.
Is it the choice for you, apparently not, that's fine, but it's my choice. I didn't ask what bullet I should use, I asked about a type of shot.
I thought the thread was about long range bullets at close range , most experienced hunters and handloaders at one time or another that have used said bullets have probably experienced less than favorable results. I have keep track of the entire thread , I haven't seen any one tell you what bullet you should shoot, am I missing something here . All the responses so far have been more of a conversation of the experience they or I have had with the bullet of choice .

Nosler long-range accubonds do a great job, near and far, with massive internal damage, and great penetration, and they are worth building a rifle around.

Plan:

The LRAB that I have shot in 6.5, 7mm, and 30 cal to be seated very, very close to the lands, plan your build accordingly.
Wyatt's extended mag box goes in all of my 700's, planning ahead for leader growth.

Consider carefully, your cartridge OAL and mag box length so you do not hamstring yourself on a brand-new build. No sense in purchasing a new barrel every 400-600 rounds due to lead growth with an inability to seat the bullets out maintaining the "jump": the bullet likes in the accuracy node.