Long range backpack rifle

I have been playing with light rifles for a while, too light and you sacrifice accuracy, no doubt, but I recently purchased a tikka in 7 mag superlite, loaded it down to a lower node (280ai ish performance), got the recoil manageable, and it shoots really good. I don't think I would spend lots of money again on a light rifle. Too many good options out there factory, especially if you reload.

First post here after lurking for a long time.
I am hopping to gain some advise from some of you. I am looking for my next rifle. A little back ground on me first, for context. I have two rifles so far, a savage 111 lrh in 6.5/284 Norma, and a savage 110 tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both shoot fantastic, and I have recently started to reload. I cannot believe I did not start real pacing sooner, there is much enjoyment to be found in it.
Any ways I typically do 6-10 day archery elk hunts in the the wilderness out of my pack. This year I put in for a late season Idaho tag for my first out of state hunt. if I draw it it will be a November hunt in the backcountry. I am trying to get the rifle situation figured out, both my rifles would get the job done I suppose, so honestly it's just another excuse to add another toy to the group.

I have been considering a savage 110 ultralight in 28 Nosler, or the browning hells canyon in 28, or 300 prc. Would you recommend either of these? I really want the 28, seems like a logical step up from my two other rifles. Another alternative I have considered was to buy a pawn shop savage and just have it rebarreled to 28, but I have never tried to do a semi custom build my self....

What would your recommendations for a young man getting into the sport be? Gun's main purpose will be hunting, but I also love shooting steel..

I have a question for you, what's the max distance you are comfortable taking a shot at an animal? I ask because this can help determine the best cartridge for you.

If your max range is 600 yds then you don't need a magnum, a 7mm-08 or 308 Win will do, I am a 7mm fan so I would pick the 7mm-08 with a 24" barrel and you can keep it under 8.5 or 9 lbs.

If you're shooting to 800 yds then a 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" and keep ir under 10 lbs. The 300 Win Mag is another great option

If longer range than that then a 28 Nosler pr 300 PRC will be good, that said I'd go with ths 28.

I say this because no need to get a barrel burner id you dont need it, now if you want it and have the itch then by all means, scratch it and have fun shooting it.

Like @Canhunter35 mentioned, big magnums and ultra lite dont always go together well, but no need to carry a 12 lb beast either.

Hope this helps and stay safe

The new Sig Cross rifle looks pretty interesting; folding stock which locks the bolt, user-replacable barrels, accurate per the reviewers so far. .308, 6.5 CM, .277 Fury. 6.5 pounds.
The born and raised outdoors guys have been using this rifle for spring bear hunts. I really like the concept. I wish it was a half pound lighter, but the fact it can fold up makes it appealing.

I would go with the fierce 30 Nosler edge carbon they are lite and they shoot very well and with there side muzzle brake there's very little recoil

28 nosler just keeps calling my name! I'm going to talk to a couple local smiths and see what's they'd charge to build a basic, 9ish lbs rifle. Been searching the classifieds for a while, wanted someone's savage build, but I guess he sold it.

First post here after lurking for a long time.
I am hopping to gain some advise from some of you. I am looking for my next rifle. A little back ground on me first, for context. I have two rifles so far, a savage 111 lrh in 6.5/284 Norma, and a savage 110 tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both shoot fantastic, and I have recently started to reload. I cannot believe I did not start real pacing sooner, there is much enjoyment to be found in it.
Any ways I typically do 6-10 day archery elk hunts in the the wilderness out of my pack. This year I put in for a late season Idaho tag for my first out of state hunt. if I draw it it will be a November hunt in the backcountry. I am trying to get the rifle situation figured out, both my rifles would get the job done I suppose, so honestly it's just another excuse to add another toy to the group.

I have been considering a savage 110 ultralight in 28 Nosler, or the browning hells canyon in 28, or 300 prc. Would you recommend either of these? I really want the 28, seems like a logical step up from my two other rifles. Another alternative I have considered was to buy a pawn shop savage and just have it rebarreled to 28, but I have never tried to do a semi custom build my self....

What would your recommendations for a young man getting into the sport be? Gun's main purpose will be hunting, but I also love shooting steel..
I like my 28 Nosler, it'll work on anything in North America

I have owned two Browning rifles, an A-Bolt and now an X-Bolt Pro. Both were/are 1.2 MOA rifles with the right ammo so I'd recommend theBrowning.Plus if you ever want to sell it it will have a good re-sale value.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.