Long range backpack rifle

Personally I wouldn't consider a 9-10 lb rifle scoped as a light weight. And should be able to shoot it at fairly good distances. Providing the rifle and shooter are on the same page. I favor the 28 plus calibers for elk. From what I understand of the 28 nosler shoots the barrel out reasonably quick. Think it would still be a great hunting rifle, develope a good shooting load and use it to hunt. But if one wants to bang steel and the like it may not be as good choice. Just an opinion and probably not worth much. Good luck with your search and you are right, any excuse for a new toy is a good one.

First post here after lurking for a long time.
I am hopping to gain some advise from some of you. I am looking for my next rifle. A little back ground on me first, for context. I have two rifles so far, a savage 111 lrh in 6.5/284 Norma, and a savage 110 tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both shoot fantastic, and I have recently started to reload. I cannot believe I did not start real pacing sooner, there is much enjoyment to be found in it.
Any ways I typically do 6-10 day archery elk hunts in the the wilderness out of my pack. This year I put in for a late season Idaho tag for my first out of state hunt. if I draw it it will be a November hunt in the backcountry. I am trying to get the rifle situation figured out, both my rifles would get the job done I suppose, so honestly it's just another excuse to add another toy to the group.

I have been considering a savage 110 ultralight in 28 Nosler, or the browning hells canyon in 28, or 300 prc. Would you recommend either of these? I really want the 28, seems like a logical step up from my two other rifles. Another alternative I have considered was to buy a pawn shop savage and just have it rebarreled to 28, but I have never tried to do a semi custom build my self....

What would your recommendations for a young man getting into the sport be? Gun's main purpose will be hunting, but I also love shooting steel..
Cooper backcountry model 92 it's only 92 ounces in weight add a leupold 3x15 right at 7lbs in 7mm

What are you all considering as light weight? I am hopping for something 9-10lbs scoped.
I'd call that a mid weight. Light in my mind ends at 8 pounds ready to shoot. For me, those rifles work very well in low recoil chamberings like .260, 6.5cm, 7-08 etc. 9-10 pounds I'd be willing to shoot something a little stouter, though I'd not go to a big magnum at that weight. Probably something along the lines of a 7 SAUM, or 280 AI. I'm not really recoil sensitive, but I like to shoot a lot and my right shoulder is pretty trashed (not from shooting) and it doesn't take much to make it sore.

If you find a savage ultralight action in a stock that you like don't worry about the caliber, you can get a barrel in a caliber of your choosing for 400 bucks and swap it to whatever you want. If you bump up the budged you could get a carbon fiber prefit.

First post here after lurking for a long time.
I am hopping to gain some advise from some of you. I am looking for my next rifle. A little back ground on me first, for context. I have two rifles so far, a savage 111 lrh in 6.5/284 Norma, and a savage 110 tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both shoot fantastic, and I have recently started to reload. I cannot believe I did not start real pacing sooner, there is much enjoyment to be found in it.
Any ways I typically do 6-10 day archery elk hunts in the the wilderness out of my pack. This year I put in for a late season Idaho tag for my first out of state hunt. if I draw it it will be a November hunt in the backcountry. I am trying to get the rifle situation figured out, both my rifles would get the job done I suppose, so honestly it's just another excuse to add another toy to the group.

I have been considering a savage 110 ultralight in 28 Nosler, or the browning hells canyon in 28, or 300 prc. Would you recommend either of these? I really want the 28, seems like a logical step up from my two other rifles. Another alternative I have considered was to buy a pawn shop savage and just have it rebarreled to 28, but I have never tried to do a semi custom build my self....

What would your recommendations for a young man getting into the sport be? Gun's main purpose will be hunting, but I also love shooting steel..

Both the 28 Nos and the 300 PRC are excellent cartridges, Ive owned both and in the end prefer the 300 PRC as I can shoot up to 250gr bullets, both have good factory ammo options, 28 Nos may have a few more factory options, barrel life will be better in the 300 PRC

If your just using it for hunting either one will do, if you plan doing lots of target shooting as well as hunting go with the 300 PRC.

Ultra Light Weight- 6.5lbs or less scoped
Lightweight - 6.5lbs to 7.5lbs scoped
Standard weight 7.5lbs to 9lbs scoped
Wheel Barrow rifles- over 9 lbs scoped

So for the task you have in mind I bought a Winchester M70 extreme weather SS in 30-06 and dropped it in a Mcmillan gamescout w/edge fill and it's topped with a Zeiss V4 4-16x44. It sits right at 8lbs. At 5k ASL it also delivers ~2000ft/lbs at 500 yards. Recoil isn't that bad due to the stock but the barrel being so thin does make the rifle want to dance around on the target and it gets REALLY hot really quick. If I could do it over I'd go for a #3 or #4 contour and put up with a wee bit of weight added.

If you are going to be doing a lot of climbing/covering distance every day, anything beyond 8lbs complete starts to be a real burden, IMO. This also has a lot to do with how you choose to carry. Putting a heavy rifle in the center of your backpack may make it easy to carry, but I wouldn't risk missing an opportunity by having it be that inaccessible. A couple of light weight rifles I own really benefitted from a reasonable increase in barrel contour to make them far more stable to shoot, while still being reasonably light.

I second the hell's Canyon speed. I have it in 28 nos. it shoots well. I f i am climbing a lot, i like to carry a Kimber Mt. Ascent. Mine is in 7 RM, and it shoots well also. First 2 shots are good, starts to change on the 3rd, just cause the barrel is so thin!!!

After reading all your post I have narrowed down my decisions. I am leaning toward the 6.5 prc, and going with a lighter rifle. Since it will only be a deer gun as I only hunt elk with my bow. Because the 6.5 prc and my 6.5x284 are so close to one another I plan to refresh her quite a bit once I shoot the barrel out. Will probably turn it into a 28, the action on it is so long that I probably have lots of options. And I'll make it more or a long range target gun/ long range bear cannon. Options for rifles are savage 110 ultralight, browning hell's canyon, and ca messa. I have always tan vortex optics, but am leaning towards a lupold this time.

Forget the 6.5 Creedmoor and use the 6.5 X .284 as it packs more punch. I would go with the 28 Nosler if you're crazy about that caliber or a .280AI but, my preference is a 7mmRemMag as it doesn't burn barrels and has one shot dropped every elk I've shot with mine. I recently rebarreled mine with a 1:8 twist for the heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.