Long Range Antelope Round

dsink

Heading back out to Colorado next year with a couple guys who have never been to chase speed goats. Thinking about building myself something to take one beyond 500yds.
I currently have a 25/06 ackley that im pushing a 115gr Berger VLD at 3138fps.

Anyone have any recommendations on another good caliber to use for my purpose? I currently have a Rem 700 in 8mm Rem Mag im thinking of building the new rifle off of.

Well on the 8mm, depending on the shape of the rifle you might just want to sell it. I had a like new I sold for almost enough to buy a custom action.

For what caliber, I would go with a 6.5 bullet or a 7mm. cartridge is up to you. Depends on what else you might use it for. You can really run yourself ragged trying to pick a cartridge. I would pick by available reloading components or factory ammunition. I would suggest the following of coarse depending on if your going to use the 8mm mag.
260 Rem
6.5 Creedmore
6.5x284

7mm/08
7mm Rem mag
7mm STW

I have had excellent success using my 257 Roberts, I certainly cant understand why your 25-06 wont do the trick.

A friend of mine had a M700 8mm Rem Mag, and he too wasn't impressed. He barrowed my 375 H&H for Brown Bear and buffalo hunting. When he brought my rifle back, he also brought his 8mm. Told me to order a barrel an make him a 375 H&H. The long 8mm Mag action is a perfect candidate for the 375 H&H.

He's taken several head of game in Africa and another bear and muskox in Alaska with his converted rifle.

Except for replacing, chambering and head spacing the rifle to 375 there were no other modifications needed.

Thanks guys. Diffently nothing wrong with my 25/06 Ackley but I was thinking due to the wind always blowing pretty good out there, I might want to go with something that would throw a heavier bullet for reaching way out there.

Thanks guys. Diffently nothing wrong with my 25/06 Ackley but I was thinking due to the wind always blowing pretty good out there, I might want to go with something that would throw a heavier bullet for reaching way out there.

Agree on that part with lighter bullet not maintaining there kinetic mass down range

4 years ago I shot an antelope at 900 yards in a 20 mile per hour wind with a 338 Allen Mag. There was nothing left. If I would build a rifle today just for speed goats it would be a 6-284 shooting the 105-107 grain bullets 3400-3500 fps. It comes down to knowing your rifle and being able to place the bullet in the vitals. The animal does not care if it's hit with a .243 .284 or 308 bullet. Learn your rifle do your part and enjoy your hunt.

A 284 win would be a wicked round! Pushing the 180gr hybrids at close to 3000 fps with a lot less powder, and recoil compared to the 7mm rem mag. You could build a lighter profile rifle for carry/hunting purpose, like a #5 contour, htg stock, and still achieve great speeds as accuracy

I'm taking my 6.5x47 in a couple of weeks. Runs the 140 Berger at 2900fps. And for bucking the wind it's not the weight, but the BC that matters; same goes for vertical drop.

dsink;989872 I currently have a Rem 700 in 8mm Rem Mag im thinking of building the new rifle off of. [/QUOTE said:
If it shoots it's not the worst choice. A little limited in bullet choice, but a couple should work. The 220 Sierra for one.

Of course bullet limitations may be why you want to build something more mainstream caliber wise. Which there are a lot of good choices from .257 and up.

Your 25-06AI is a good rifle, but if you're talking 500 yards and beyond why not base your rifle on the .308? Good bullet selection and a proven round at long range matches. It may seem rather vanilla compared to some of the recommended cartridges, but it would work well out of a good barrel/action combination. I prefer to keep medium to large game as close as possible to ensure clean ethical kills. I have shot varmints and predators at ranges beyond 400-500 yards, but I would rather be within 250-350 yards with larger animals... closer if I can manage to stalk them well. JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.