Long range 300wsm deer load needed

kiwiwildcat

Hey guys,

(I have posted this on accuratereloading.com and 6mmbr.com also, but haven't received much advice back yet).

Looking for some advice please.

My 300WSM is coming back from the gunsmith end of this month and I would like to develop a suitable long range load for deer. Long range I'm talking out to around 500-600 yards, as one of the areas I hunt is very open and last couple of deer I saw on a clearing were at 550 yards. I am going back to this area in late October.

What projectiles have you had experience with for shooting deer at this range, and suitable powders?

For projectiles, I was thinking of Bergers hunting VLD's or Hornady A-Max's (I have seen some video of guys making extended range shots using Berger VLD's, and there are guys down here in NZ using Hornady A-Max's) that brings me to the conclusion that those projectiles are what I am looking for.

However, I also hear from some hunters that VLD's are not always relaible expansion wise.

I presume the 180gr and heavier are the ideal for long range because they have higher BC's.

Other's have suggested the Nosler Accubonds (180gr).

Regards,

Michael.

178grn Amax pushed by 66.5grns H4350 set off with a fed 215m primer. 3202fps out of my ga precision and one ragged hole 5 shot groups

210 smk's work very well also. i'll have to look up the load data and get back to you, not quite as accurate group wise but my son can still shoot quarters at 200 with it at will.

Last edited:
178grn Amax pushed by 66.5grns H4350 set off with a fed 215m primer. 3202fps out of my ga precision and one ragged hole 5 shot groups

210 smk's work very well also. i'll have to look up the load data and get back to you, not quite as accurate group wise but my son can still shoot quarters at 200 with it at will.

That is smoking for H4350, how long is your barrel? I was getting about 2990 with 180 E-Tips, 66.5 gr H4350, Fed GM215M, Norma brass, Sako Finnlight 24 3/8" barrel.

-MR

Thanks gbp for that, I hadn't considered the 210gr SMK.

My rifle is built on a Montana 1999 action (WSM), and has a generous internal magazine length of 3.1 inches or there abouts. The barrel is 24 inches (Winchester M70 classic barrel) that I purchased in mint unfired condition for an absolute bargain.

I had a M700 CDL in 300wsm that I played around with for a short while that had a 26inch tube, but the short M700 action was too short for my liking for the 300WSM cartidge. Although I was driving 180gr Accubonds at over 3000 fps even though they were seated so deeply in the case and accuracy was under 1 inch.

How does the 178gr A-Max perform on game? Does it work like a Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Regards,

Michael.

I'm in the same goat as your as I just got a brand new 300wsm 700 CDL SF. I good friend recomended 168 Bergers for target, but I need to find that pefect 180 gr bullet that flys like a VLD but performs like a Nosler Partition. From all the research I've done it seems that that was what the Accubond was intended as. That's where I'll be starting with AB's and real world testing on feral hogs this summer.

i built a light weight gun for a buddy in montana. rem m 7 action, hs stock, kreiger 10 tw. cut off at 22". imr 4350 66gr. 165gr accubond. rem 9 1/2 primer. 2.258" length using stoney point comperator. 35 degree weather, it shot 1 1/2" 3 shot group at 400yards.

The 178 Gr Amax is awsome out to those ranges, you may want to consider having two loads one close 0-300 say using a Bonded Bullet then 300-600 yrds using one more expanable at slower velocities.

A Accubond Amax combo would be nice so the two different loads are easily recognised, I use Interbonds & Amaxs which makes its hard, but they use different primers (Win & Fed) so its not too bad.

I used to use 180 Speer SPBT which worked well but the SP flattened under recoil so I moved to Amaxes and have never turned back.

64 grs 2209 works for me.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.