308 for long range deer

Both my cz 527 223's are 1/2 moa all day long! I know what my abilities are, just wondering what the cartridge is capable of!

That 700-800yds posted earlier is pretty optimistic for "clean kills" on deer sized game with a .308 Win, IMO. Yes, a computer program might say so, but, anything and everything effects as the distance grows longer. As for your other CZs being 1/2" rifles, that doesn't automatically mean that the next one will be. Factory rifles, viewed with unbiased eyes, are 'luck of the draw', doesn't matter who the maker is. If every 'factory' rifle produced was a 1/2" shooter there'd be no need for custom barrels or gunsmiths to install them. Both custom barrel makers and gunsmiths that install them are pretty busy these days.

That 700-800yds posted earlier is pretty optimistic for "clean kills" on deer sized game with a .308 Win, IMO. Yes, a computer program might say so, but, anything and everything effects as the distance grows longer. As for your other CZs being 1/2" rifles, that doesn't automatically mean that the next one will be. Factory rifles, viewed with unbiased eyes, are 'luck of the draw', doesn't matter who the maker is. If every 'factory' rifle produced was a 1/2" shooter there'd be no need for custom barrels or gunsmiths to install them. Both custom barrel makers and gunsmiths that install them are pretty busy these days.
I've had much better luck with out of the box cz's than any other brand I've owned, their set triggers and easily adjusted . Little bedding work and load work seem to usually make them good shooters.

I shoot 215 Bergers in mine and I'm comfortable to 1000 yards in the right conditions, the new 200.20x Berger bullet may be even better, 600 yards is not even working it out if you run bullets with some BC if you can, I'll never run less than a 200 gr bullet in mine again!

I shoot 215 Bergers in mine and I'm comfortable to 1000 yards in the right conditions, the new 200.20x Berger bullet may be even better, 600 yards is not even working it out if you run bullets with some BC if you can, I'll never run less than a 200 gr bullet in mine again!

I'm glad someone else agrees with me that the .308 Win is not a 500 yard caliber... People seem to think it is still grandpa's slow weak deer rifle cartridge. And with shiny advertising and number-fluffing, people believe that today's glorious selection of huge magnums (several of which I own) are a necessity for LR shooting, when that it not always the case. I'm also surprised at the people who think a 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be a better hunting cartridge than a .308 Win. Don't get me wrong, I love the .260 Rem/.260 AI, but I don't think it has any advantage beyond 500 yards, other than a slightly flatter trajectory.

Key words; "in the right conditions". Now give us the complete rundown on that rifle. Action, barrel, optics? "there's a lot of air between here and there"

I shoot a Remington 700 AAC- SD in .308 with a 20" bbl. The rifle is fairly well customized with all the work being done by a good friend of mine who builds precision rifles for a living. When I handed the stock rifle over to him, I let it be known that I wanted to be able to shoot long distance as well as hunt with the same ammo. He worked up a load that utilizes the Berger OTM Tactical in 175gr and man oh man, that thing is awesome.

I took my antelope this year at 662 yards with one shot. It was once explained to me that a good rule of thumb when considering shots and distance is, at a given yardage, the energy a round has should be at least one and half times the weight of the target animal. At 500yds, my ammo has 1519ft/lbs of energy. At 650yds, there is 1241ft/lbs of energy, which is what I consider to be my personal ethical limit for elk. With the 308, a person needs to give serious consideration for bullet drop. At 1000yds, my bullet has a drop of 336 inches. A 308 is a fine caliber that has taken ALOT of game, but it does have its limitations. Those limitations can be minimized though by spending time at the range and becoming very familiar with your rifle and ammo.

Good Luck

Tex

Attachments

• 20151014_140617.jpg
    20151014_140617.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 95
Key words; "in the right conditions". Now give us the complete rundown on that rifle. Action, barrel, optics? "there's a lot of air between here and there"

I'm running a Win pre 64 with 26 inch barrel, 215 seated way out in Lapua Palma brass running 2684 fps shooting one hole at 100 yards, 2.5 inches 3 shot at 1030 and just under MOA at 1535 yards for 10 rounds. Using a 12x SWFA SS optic for 140 MOA for hunting and a Sightron 10-50 for target. I also run a lower load at 2460 fps also which I'd also use to the same range because I know the 215 will open at that range, I've actually killed more game with the lower node. The lower load is much more like where a shorter throat rifle will run.
It's all about shooting a bullet with BC, you'll still be dialing a pile of MOA for elevation but you maintain much better wind drift compared to other bullets.

I'm running a Win pre 64 with 26 inch barrel, 215 seated way out in Lapua Palma brass running 2684 fps shooting one hole at 100 yards, 2.5 inches 3 shot at 1030 and just under MOA at 1535 yards for 10 rounds. Using a 12x SWFA SS optic for 140 MOA for hunting and a Sightron 10-50 for target. I also run a lower load at 2460 fps also which I'd also use to the same range because I know the 215 will open at that range, I've actually killed more game with the lower node. The lower load is much more like where a shorter throat rifle will run.
It's all about shooting a bullet with BC, you'll still be dialing a pile of MOA for elevation but you maintain much better wind drift compared to other bullets.

Yep! What he said! I shoot the 210 VLDs, as I have not yet ordered any 215 Hybrids. Still have a lot of 210's left.

307qbuq.jpg

354 laser-ranged yards with a single 165 Ballistic Tip over 43.5 of 4064. 10,000 feet above mean sea level.

Dead right there.

The 208ELDX and 215 hybrid turn the 308 into a legitimate 1000 yard hammer. Maybe not at sea level but at 5000' plus elevation where I hunt deer, I'm happier running my 308 than any 260 rem. 26" barrels also bump it up. The 308 has a bad wrap as a LR clean killer with the common belief that 20-22" barrels and 12 twists with 150-168 grain bullets are it's limitations. Under those parameters yes, you all are right. Give it more displacement and tighter twist along with heavier for caliber bullets like everybody does with the 260, 708, 6.5 creed etc...and the 308 can hit harder with equal wind. You'll never convince me that the 260 or 6.5 creed is superior to the 308. Superior in recoil yes but very little else. Depending on the load, the little guys can have a flatter trajectory. Very little concern with LRFs. Neither of those make those cartridges superior over the 308 just as the 308s qualities dont make it superior over those. If you want low recoil, go with the little guys. If you want long barrel life and more energy, go 308. Even running the new 178 ELDX or 180 Elite gives the 308 new life. A legitimate velocity for those bullets are 2750+ with 26" tubes. Their BCs are legit too. I'm happy with the performance with the 260, 6.5 creed and 708. I feel confident with them. I feel every bit as confident with the 308. As with any other cartridge, it depends on the rifle and load. Of course the nut behind the butt has as much to do with it.

Have you guys messed around with 208-210 grain weights in a 26" 1:12 twist at 3k+ elevation? I'm sure it's a situation of how a particular gun may perform versus another, but I'd like to see what my options are after I burn up all my 168smks. I'd like to continue playing with the 175 TMK and the 178 ELDX, since they should stabilize well enough. But I sure would like to see how a 200gr+ would do.

Have you guys messed around with 208-210 grain weights in a 26" 1:12 twist at 3k+ elevation? I'm sure it's a situation of how a particular gun may perform versus another, but I'd like to see what my options are after I burn up all my 168smks. I'd like to continue playing with the 175 TMK and the 178 ELDX, since they should stabilize well enough. But I sure would like to see how a 200gr+ would do.

I played around with a 12x and 208 a few years ago at 2000' in cold temps. Teens. At 700 yards they were keyholing pretty noticeably.

With a 12x, the 178 ELDX has done great. Any lead based 175-185 will work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.