Long-ish range prairie dog caliber?

Given the parameters set by the OP, he would be best served with a savage with a 1:9 twist and heavy factory cartridges in 22-250. The heavier bullets will also be adequate for hunting whitetail at moderate distances.
IMHO, when you go to the larger diameter cartridges you increase the risk of bullets richocheting into areas other than where you are shooting. Varmint bullets in .243 are not as ballistically efficient as the longer .224 bullets.
As stated in previous posts, wind is going to effect any of the mentioned calibers, some more than others.

OP mentioned prairie dog hunting; maybe I'm dumb but what's to stop him moving around so he's shooting into the wind for a little less velocity or downwind for a little more, won't have to worry too much about windage then. Or do the winds blow round in circles.
Into the wind is better, blows the muzzle blast away from the target.
Obviously I understand sometimes it's necessary to shoot across the wind for safety reasons but very often where I shoot a few hundred yards detour can put the wind in my face. TBH I wouldn't claim I can make 600 yard shots much more happy with 300 max and prefer 250 or less with my 223.
Finally, caliber, why not buy a savage switch barrel rifle, start off with 22/250 then if the itch isn't scratched another barrel in 243 or whatever takes your fancy.
Just my $0.02

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.[/QUOTE

Most all the calibers mention here will do the job, some are a little harder on barrels, other not so much, my pick would be my; .223 Rem LR rifle with a 1-8 twist in PacNor's polygonal barrel. I use Berger or Sierra 80gr match bullets with Lapua or my second pick WW brass, WW being much cheaper for a long day of p-dog shooting, and VV 150 As I said, almost all the other calibers will do the job, but'..., I believe I can put a lot more rounds down range without all the barrel burning and replacement problem of many other mentioned. As for accuracy, this has been one of my go-to match rifles for 1K competitions over the years even with a little wind, it just makes you learn to read wind a little better. I don't think it's the know all do all of the long-range hide popping cartridges, but'..., it gets the job done and with little, and I mean very little recoil in a rifle of this type.

.223 Rem  M700 8.5-25x40mm MRT LR 1-8 twist 001 (10).jpg
.223 Rem  M700 8.5-25x40mm MRT LR 1-8 twist 001 (11).jpg
80gr Berger 24.5grs N150 WSR WW case 2900 fps from M700 .223 Custom 100 yards  002.jpg

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.
A Savage bolt gun in .224 Valkyrie....could even go for Savage AR in that caliber. The heavy for caliber 90gr will buck the wind and stay supersonic past 1000yds. Light recoil allows shooter to see his own impacts and shoot all day comfortably. Both available at Cabelas. But, you are in freedom loving South Dakota, so why not buy the ammo online for extra savings....ship to your door. You're gonna shoot a lot on dogs.

Just re-read the OP and see no mention of anything beyond dogs. Did I miss bigger game in a later post? As I recall in this State (the granola one) a .22 CF isn't legal for anything bigger than varmints, so I don't tend to think in terms of using one on game animals.

The Savage barrel nut or a 'Remage' would be a decided bonus for not only a switch barrel rifle, but also for replacing shot-out barrels. That is the 'feature' that I've never liked about the .22-250 and .220 Swifts, short throat life if running to best advantage of the chambering. Now with a few easily obtained tools that 'feature' becomes a simple economic consideration of not awful proportions or inconvenience.

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.
depending on barrel length and ft/s the heavy (er) bullets may not stabilize when I was shooting a 22-250 I used Hornady 53 Gr. Match HP. They shot flat and were DEADLY on woodchucks out to 800 yds.

The only thing wrong with going out to shoot dogs for the first time is you'll wonder why you wasn't doing this 40 years earlier. No matter what gun you decide on or caliber it's all going to be fun!

Funny enough, when I go prairie dog hunting I actually go to south dakota! I take my 6mm Creedmoor and regularly hit prarie dogs at 600 yards. Have hit some further than that, but it needs to be early morning conditions. Mirage in the heat of the day will almost make those suckers invisable.

I see other people have commented on the avalibility of ammo for 6mm Creed vs. 243 win. One thing I think they are forgetting, is that the 6mm Creedmoor ammo availible, is match grade stuff. It's primarily for long range target shooting. Yes they make match ammo for 243, but mosltly soft point deer loads, plinking rounds, varmint rounds. If your going to be hitting a tiny little prairie dog at the ranges you mentioned, you'll want match ammo.

Before I had a load built up for my 6 creed, I bought a box of hornday eld match ammo to break in the barrel and get brass for loading. The very first group out of the rifle is pictured below. Last three shots are touching. That's factory rifle, factory ammo, and a brand new barrel. Hornady match ammo is anywhere from $22-32 a box

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
I vote the 22-250, this is great caliber, I also use a 204, 17 fireball, 17 hmr. It's all fun, shooting those distances with wind your going to miss, reload adjust and fire again. Great practice

I'd go with a fast twist 26" bull barrel that would stabilize the 90gr VLD's chambered in either a 22-250 or 220 Swift.

You said it's going to be for your Dad let him decide what he wants to shoot . He's an adult now and knows what his body can handle as far as recoil and weight of the rifle . Take him with you to the gun shop and let him try some for fit and feel he can talk to the person behind the counter and get some suggestions from them as well . If you are going to surprise him with a gift just take him shopping and come home with one and some ammo that way he will be happy with the choice that he made for himself .

22-250 is good here. You could also go with the 6.5x300. With factory ammo running over 3500 FPS with a 127gr, that would be a complete gasser on Prairie Dogs.

Many of us have been prairie dog shooting in the upper-mid states, wind only makes it a greater challenge. I thought my 223Rem bolt rifle with a heavy 24" barrel with 8" twist, a 12x (or greater) scope, and shooting a heavy bullet (75-80g) with a high BC was an excellent choice for PDs out to 700yds and even longer. Barrel life is excellent, my rifle used a Remington 700 receiver and McMillan A1/HTG stock. The only unknown is whether you can buy 223Rem ammo with a long-range bullet, but there are custom loaders who will do it for you. You'll find a laser range-finder to be invaluable at long range, as well as a ballistic calculator. If your dad is satisfied with shooting to 200 yards, then a good 22LR will suffice, or a 17HMR to 300 yards - each with a good scope. When you get to beyond a few hundred yards, then skill and equipment become more important.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.