Long-ish range prairie dog caliber?

6MMBR would do a great job out to 600 yards. I shoot mine for ground squirrels offen with great results.
Yes many thousands of dead PDogs later I love a 6BR for Pdogs single feed, quite relatively, very soft shooting, using a 85 gr bullet, on that note first entering a town nothing beats a 22-250 bolt action plenty of dogs 100 yd range quick shooting as the range increases ,6BR is in its element , I am very skeptical of folks bloviating at 400 yd plus shooting with a high kill rate," to many variables", at that distance, and ranging is difficult on the plains ,but the hits are most gratifying, after 25 years if I had to go 1 rifle it would be a 6 BR for a reloader or 22-250 for a box cartridge shooter.
IMHOP

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.

22-250 is a great cartridge, but twist is too slow (and available ammo not made for faster twist. 6 CM or even 6.5 CM are great alternatives, using heavy (longer) bullets of VLD shape to deal with the winds. You need longer/heavier bullets at whatever velocity to buck the wind. One can order 22-250 semi-custom ammo from HSM or several other suppliers.

hmm, maybe no one thought of this, but a 25-06 is a wonderful varminter if you do not care about exploding dogs. the 257 Roberts AI with a light twist barrel will do the job quite well. a few more wonderful cartridges are the 22 middlestead (22-08 AI essentially) Use a 1:8" twist barrel to sling the moderate to heavy slugs below 85 grains, if he does not mind having his 22-250 rebarreled, run a 1:8 twist and start tossing 69 to 80 grain 22 cals. yes, the 243 is good, but 6MM remington is better, 6MM-06 is also a longer range varminter. I personally have shot with 60 grain Nosler varmigedon slugs in my 22-250 at 604 yards at dogs in NV. there are a myriad of 22, 243, 257 and 264 cartridges with magnum class cases you could use. it all comes down to what are you comfortable with. you could go after prairie dogs with a 338 Lapua or Edge and take out everyone around the intended target. We do have some sick, twisted, slightly perverted individuals around here called The Bunny Puffers Society. they go after jacks and cotton tails with 30 cal's and larger diameters. One I remember has a 458 G&A just to shoot rabbits.

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.

This is the gun and application that I have been wanting to "build"
Savage 12fv chambered in .243
Factory fluted barrel. (Just don't trust factory stocks when they look like they could melt in the sun, I'm sure they won't but I hope you get my point preventing the rabbit trail for accuracy from the stock)
Besides getting the stock installed allows a oversized barrel lug, bedding and reduce the factory adjustable trigger to be done at the gunsmith ✅
I will say to be easier on the eyes make sure the stock has an elevated cheek rest. (So tactical designs many to choose from)
Your choice mono or bi-pod
Option to consider
Threaded barrel you can brake or use a silencer. I prefer the muffler (silencer) approach and you have set dad up with a spine burner after getting used to calling windage. Not including price for scope or silencer.
3-400 gun
Same on stock
150-300 gunsmithing
So choices are there and you can easily have that 8-1200 bucks and you would have a gun that I would say would master the prairie up to hog or even coyotes. Not excluding larger just trying to stay in its specialized wheel house.
So this is my design build that I would share for your dad. From the sounds of it, you may borrow more than he uses but he may catch the bug after getting a very fast, flat bullet that goes the same path as the last shot so it lets you focus on wind.

6 mm Creedmoor would be my choice to fight crosswinds but still keep recoil low. Lots of PRS competitors are now using it for those reasons.
Easy to stay on the target with your scope B/C of low recoil.

Eric B.

I guess one question is how old is your father? No answer required just for you to think about and how is health....if he's a younger dad with 15-20 good years ahead I would definitely look at a hunting/ varmint duel purpose and the boys choice here of 243 is a real good one. My father was exactly like yours. A bird Hunter, and my grandfather as well. I was in the truck since I was four picking up birds and shooting them a 7. Took my Dad out on his first Big Game Hunt when I was 21....started shooting deer at 16...he enjoyed it so much we hunted together again for the next 20 years until his knees gave out.

A lot of posters seem to have overlooked the original poster's request for a factory ammo requirement. Not everyone is a fanatical handloader (although I don't understand why). Given the factory ammo requirement and the novice shooter, I heartily recommend a .223 Rem. bolt gun, either a Ruger RPR, Savage 12 FV, CZ, or Remington, depending on budget. A 1 in 9" twist gives the best option for various bullet weights and a long heavy barrel would be preferable. The .223 can reach out to 400 yards and offers the ability to spot your own shots in a rested heavy barrel. The barrels last much longer than a higher performance cartridge and there are a myriad of factory loads available at prices low enough to encourage enough practice to actually hit prairie dogs at 400 yards. If his father develops sufficient skill to consistently do that, then maybe moving up to a longer range capable option would be appropriate.
An equally important thing to consider is what the budget for his scope is. There are affordable options for 400 yard prairie dogs, but reaching out to 700 yards plus will require another level of optics.

I still think you are on the right track with the .22-250 choice. Lot's of factory ammo. Minimal recoil. Great power (for prairie dogs.) Heck, everything is going to get pushed around by the wind, so won't matter much between a .243 and .22-250 as your Dad is going to have to learn to 'kentucky windage' his shots either way.

But if you are seriously thinking he MIGHT want to shoot Bambi someday, the .243 Win makes more sense. Just know that a long day on the prairie dogs with a .243 Win will be more punishing (recoil-wise) than the .22-250 would be. As we get older, we like recoil less and less. Since the primary goal was prairie dogs, go with your first instinct (it was a good one.)

I was going to suggest the .224 Valkyrie as an option since it will be twisted to shoot heavier for caliber bullets, but I'm not sure it is going to survive long term. Still...it's an option if you are looking to 'fight the wind' without the recoil of a .243/6mm gun.

EDITED ADDITION: Re-read the original post and...since this is for your Dad and HE expressed an interest in the .22-250 Rem, that's what you should get him. He'll be happy. It's what he 'knows' and that means a lot.
I'm not trying to disagree with you but would like to point out that he as you have said "Expressed an interest". It just may be that since he isn't familiar with rifles has heard someone mentioned the .22-250 as a good varmint choice. I think viable options explained to him might be a really good idea. Sorry it's just IMHO. Thanks

Just another .02, The .204 is as close to the 22-250 to about 400yds but the .243 is by far a better choice if your dad would want to get into deer hunting with you and the ammo will be cheaper than the Creed for sure.
Good Luck with you choices and I know your Dad will appreciate whatever you get him.
Spend some quality time while you still have him, some of us would.
Hhardrock

I am 69 use 22-250, Hornady SP (factory loads), for dogs to 600+Yds. great setup!!
I have two, Remenigton 700 heavy barrel & a Savage (Savage is my go to gun)
Hunt West Texas & South Dakota.
Poor dogs!!

upload_2019-7-10_12-52-2.jpeg

Savage 22-250 factory loads , Hornady SP, 3 shots!

I know I'm late to this whole discussion, but from what I've read your father is new and relying on factory ammunition. I'd like to know how frugal is your father? Would he rather shoot three rounds or one?

The reason I ask is for starting out for prairie dogs it's really hard to beat the economy of the .223 cartridge. You can buy .223 ammo for around 30 cents a round, .22-250 and .204 will average closer to half a dollar a shot in factory form. Factory fodder for the .243 Win and 6mm CM will average closer to a dollar a round.

The plain old 50-55 grain V-max will get you 400+ yards on prairie dogs. It won't do it as easily as a 6mm cartridge, but it can be done and it'll teach you how to shoot. I know when I was shooting pasture poodles hot and heavy shooting 300+ rounds a day was a lot easier on the wallet with the .223 even after I started reloading.

Speaking of being dollar wise, don't forget the optics. The age of your dad's eyes and him not used to a scope will take some consideration. Most will agree that the scope on a PD rig is probably over 50% of the rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.