Long Action 6.5 PRC

Ebender34

Looking to do a budget build. Thinking about a 6.5 PRC on a 307 action, but they don't offer a short action with a magnum bolt face. Can I use the long action? Not planning on using a box magazine so bottom metal shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned with the bullets feeding.

I would imagine with the right bottom metal and magazine that has a blocker in it you should he okay. I've never done it so I am only theorizing. Is there more space from the front of the magwel to the chamber in the long action vs the short? That's the are I'd think you'd see a hang up if anything since the back of the action is pretty easily sorted with a magazine blocker.

I built a 6.5 PRC on a long action and I couldn't get it to feed . I bought a Hawkins long action bottom metal kit with a clip that is flush on the bottom and has the block in the back of the magazine box , problem solved. Years ago in the Mauser days we would cut the follower and spring then take a plastic cutting board ,cut it and fit it in the back of the magazine and install 2 small screws countersunk to hold it in place. The Hawkins kit is a lot easier .

I am using a Defiance AnTiX in my 6.5 PRC. Have not done any load work, just zeroed the scope.

20240204_002514.jpg20240204_002614.jpg20240204_124137.jpg

I current run a Zermatt Origin LA while shooting a 6.5 prc and have no issues. When all of the components were brand new I would occasionally have a hiccup but after a few months everything settled in and haven't had an issue since. If I would have seen the Hawkins bottom metal I would have given that a try.

I have used the Hawkins hunter long action magazine with the spacer for feeding short action cartridges. It works as intended. At the time however it took a while to get the spacer kit. I had to order it directly from Hawkins. You may have better luck than me.

Looking to do a budget build. Thinking about a 6.5 PRC on a 307 action, but they don't offer a short action with a magnum bolt face. Can I use the long action? Not planning on using a box magazine so bottom metal shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned with the bullets feeding.
I did a build with a tikka 7mm and turned it into a 6.5 PRC. It does have a detachable mag and I have no problem seating my bullets out or feeding. The only issue i have had is light primer strike. But it did it when it was original
I have a 24" barrel 1:8. With a 147 ELD-m it travels 3000' .5 moa at 300 yards. It's my boys big game gun.