lone survivor

I thought I saw Marcus in three different scenes, sitting in a room full of other Seals. I was starting to doubt what I'd seen since I couldn't find any confirmation of his presence in the movie.

Yeah he is the guy in the beanie and sunglasses outside when they are talking at the table in the beginning of the movie. He is in the room during the briefing, and he is in the QRF helo.

Better off reading the book.....A lot of stuff that Hollyweird added to the movie did not happen.

Partial list

They never took Marcus out to the log to cut his head off.

The kid never gave Marcus a knife when he was being choked.

He was never given CPR or had to have his heart restarted.

He never pulled a bullet from his leg

The taliban never shoot into the village and don't shoot Lutrell or Gulab while in the village.

Men who do dirty work use dirty words,if you cant get past that you have very little respect for the men who put their ***'s on the line for our country.It makes me laugh that you are offended by a 4 letter word but not the fact that about 50 people get their heads graphically blown/cut off in the movie,classic. GREAT book,BETTER movie,go see it.

At the end of the movie I told a friend, the worst part of this movie will be not being able to discuss the merits of the film without someone questioning your patriotism etc. Here's your sign NONYA!

There are significant changes to the story that have everything to do with Hollywood, and nothing to do with the SEAL's. There were events placed in the movie for dramatic effect, therefore the F bombs in those scenes were also added for that reason. That's the best dialogue folks a couple of thousand miles from harm's way can come up with?

Are military personnel entitled to bad language? Yes. Are military personnel capable of being very articulate? Absolutely.

Reducing the conversation to the level of 12 and 14 year olds at a skate park should tell you a bit of how Hollywood views the military.

The portions of the movie that focussed on actual seals, and their families I liked very much. The tragic loss of those on the ground, and those that tried to rescue them did manage to come through, and is the portion I will choose to remember.

If Marcus is happy with the movie I am happy with the movie and he has given it his stamp of approval

Can't wait to go see it in theaters this weekend with my cousins. All I have heard is great things about it. It also looks amazing!

At the end of the movie I told a friend, the worst part of this movie will be not being able to discuss the merits of the film without someone questioning your patriotism etc. Here's your sign NONYA!

There are significant changes to the story that have everything to do with Hollywood, and nothing to do with the SEAL's. There were events placed in the movie for dramatic effect, therefore the F bombs in those scenes were also added for that reason. That's the best dialogue folks a couple of thousand miles from harm's way can come up with?

Are military personnel entitled to bad language? Yes. Are military personnel capable of being very articulate? Absolutely.

Reducing the conversation to the level of 12 and 14 year olds at a skate park should tell you a bit of how Hollywood views the military.

The portions of the movie that focussed on actual seals, and their families I liked very much. The tragic loss of those on the ground, and those that tried to rescue them did manage to come through, and is the portion I will choose to remember.

FWIW, when bullets and hot shrapnel start ripping your butt, being "articulate" is usually out the door and the F bombs fly fast and furious. Hard guys use hard words and they are some of the hardest. Been there, done that and not pretty at times.

There were some liberties taken by Hollywood to make it a more interesting movie, and some scenes that were probably in real life but not in the book, for example the initiation scene with the new guy dancing.

The goat herders is the age old dilemma facing recon teams and has been discussed in training and real life for years. At some points, options A, B, and C have all been taken, but option A is untenable in the PC world of today. War is dirty business.

If you like this, you need to see Acts of Valor that came out two years ago. Stories of real life missions and real SEALS as the actors with live ammo in numerous scenes.

Writers to lazy to Google poisonous snakes of Afghanistan, should give you an idea of the effort put into the rest of it.

I'll say it again tremendous admiration for the guys on the ground, deeply moved, by the deaths of all involved, very respectful of the survivors story, very sad even right now thinking of the families. I believe there's no greater love than one giving his life for another. These guys all did this and more.

Thinking the story wasn't good enough to tell it the way it happened, that's on Hollywood.

I thought about putting some F bombs in this as some of you don't seem to understand a sentence without it.

My last word on it.

It is an excellent movie and really should be seen, if nothing else, as a tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. The use of the F bomb is a military cultural thing. My son serves and it is prevalent in his speech and all of his buddies, though thankfully not around his mother most of the time. It's an adjective used to describe anything and start and end any sentence. That's just how it is. If the movie was made with the use of "gosh, shoot, darn it, gee wiz and shucks", it would not have come off as realistic and seemed campy. Do I like it, not really, but that's how it is. Did it detract from the movie? Not in the least in mine opinion. Don't forgo seeing this movie simply because of the use of the F word.

The crowd leaving the packed theater where we saw it was utterly quiet. It seemed as though they were leaving a funeral. They were all respectful of what they had witnessed and thinking about what those who lost their lives went through, some were crying, all probably had a lump in their throat,....as they should have.

Anyone who has ever served, especially in this capacity, has my utmost respect.

Dirty Steve

If you like this, you need to see Acts of Valor that came out two years ago. Stories of real life missions and real SEALS as the actors with live ammo in numerous scenes.

One of my all time favorites, fantastic movie. Rorke Denver (the guy who died in the movie) has a book called "**** Few", It's on my buy list.

..... They were all respectful of what they had witnessed and thinking about what those who lost their lives went through, some were crying, all probably had a lump in their throat,....as they should have.

Anyone who has ever served, especially in this capacity, has my utmost respect.

Dirty Steve

That's how I was after Act of Valor, I had too remain seated until after the theater cleared... Had something in my eye...

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.