lone survivor

SAM1980

I know that this forum site is full of patriotic men and women, from across this great country of ours. A love of the outdoors and patriotism are two beliefs which most if not all of us members have in common. Anyways I just went too see the new movie out Lone Survivor. The movie is based off the true events in the book Lone Survivor. It is best thing that I have seen coming out of hollywood in way too many years. I have read both of Marcus's books, and would suggest them as a good read too anyone. Marcus is a great american who is still serving our country, by helping our returning warriors, who are having problems dealing with the hardships of wartime. He founded the lone survivor foundation to do just this. If any of you would like to see a great movie and help support a great american here is your chance. And I would like to thank any members here who have served. Thank you for all the sacrifice that you and your families have made defending our freedoms. God Bless

I am reading Marcus's book "Lone Survivor" right now. Just about done. It is a very good book. I wanted to read it before I saw the the movie.

Jason

The book is better than the movie, largely because the movie deviates from the actual events. The firefight in the movie is likely similar to the actual firefight in Afganistan. But other scenes are the creation of the producer. While the movie is "based on a true story", this move is not story related in Luttrell's book.

Still - the movie was pretty good. If I could only experience one or the other, I'd take the book - by far and away. The firefight will keep you on edge from the first shot fired, to the last shot fired. I think I read the book in 36 hours. And I'm not a book reader.

Oh yeah..., there were substantially fewer F-bombs in the book, as I recall. Some, but nothing like the repetitiveness in the movie. Reading the book was time well spent. I was in awe of the team spirit, unreal sacrifice, and 'fight - literally - to the very end' character of each of these four Navy Seals.

I read the book. Also in record time.

Guess I'll skip the movie, as I don't really need an adrenal rush. I'm pumped up enough.:). Plus, I honor those fellas. True heroes, all of them. CIC will rot in . . . .

BTW, fewer F bombs in his one than in Scar Face, which had 182. Didn't see that one either.

It's true the "F" bomb was was used numerous times throughout the movie. I personally could do with without its use. The main intent of the movie is the fight that these brave men fought. Marcus wanted the fight scene to be as close to the real thing as possible. They still deviated some from what book says happened during the fire fight. After the fight they went way off course from actual events, but all in all I enjoyed the movie. Not as much as I enjoyed reading his books. Just get the feeling that some Americans don't unserstand the price that men pay for our freedoms. It's all too easy for some to forget what that price actually is. And most will sooner get this from the movie, rather than too take the time too read the book. Freedom is not free!

I own & have read both of Marcus' books. Lone Survivor is one of my very favorites, as stated by many before me, I struggled in putting it down. An amazing story. I hope the movie does justice to not only Marcus & his book but to his brothers lost on that day. I am not ashamed to say his story brought a tear to my eye; I am however, ashamed that so few of our countrymen share that sentiment.

t

Marcus wanted the fight scene to be as close to the real thing as possible. They still deviated some from what book says happened during the fire fight.

Yes, the firefight in the movie was insanely intense, and a close match to the unrelenting pace presented in the book.

Men who do dirty work use dirty words,if you cant get past that you have very little respect for the men who put their ***'s on the line for our country.It makes me laugh that you are offended by a 4 letter word but not the fact that about 50 people get their heads graphically blown/cut off in the movie,classic. GREAT book,BETTER movie,go see it.

Men who do dirty work use dirty words,if you cant get past that you have very little respect for the men who put their ***'s on the line for our country.It makes me laugh that you are offended by a 4 letter word but not the fact that about 50 people get their heads graphically blown/cut off in the movie,classic. GREAT book,BETTER movie,go see it.

Ya know, NONYA, sometimes you simply **** me off!! This is one of them.

read the book in a few days and it was a great read cant wait to see the movie as Marcus had a lot of input into that also. Words are of little concern as long as content is accurate and factual.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.