**** lodge/masons oaths ****

Bigbuck, 2 questions for you.

1. What was the "true" word of God after Jesus but prior to 1611 when the kjv came out?

2. If you were president AND had the power to do so would you make yours a national religion? Would you allow non Christians to practice there religion?

roll-yur-own,

Good questions.

Bigbuck, I also have a couple questions..

1~ Do you believe it is possible to come to a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ using a bible other than KJV..such as say an NIV?

2~How did you come to the knowledge that the KJV was the only true written word of God? Was is a vision? were you taught it in a church? were you raised that way?

3~ Is it possible that you could be wrong about the KJV only-ism?

I find it interesting how you will cut others down for adding to the doctrine taught in the bible, yet it is evident you are preaching a doctrine not taught in the bible (KJV only-ism)

Earlier you said the NIV teaches that Joseph was the father of Jesus. If you would have done your research and read a little further in the NIV you would have seen it teaches nothing of the sort. Beware of taking short phrases or single words out of context. Joseph was Mary's husband. And although Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus he did father him and raise him as a son. If you are interested in how the NIV came to this translation maybe it would be good for you to research it.

The King James was translated from Greek and Hebrew. In the Greek and Hebrew you will find on some words that had a couple of meanings, a side/foot note where the writer added another possible meaning to the word. These were called "qere" Many times, the KJV-translators translated from the "qere" (the marginal note in the Masoretic Text), rather than the "ketiv" (the actual text itself of the Masoretic Text). This is where almost all of the variances are for many of the different translations.

We could go on and on, but I will try not to bore anyone anymore on this. If anyone is interested here is a link to a really good website that explaines the differences on the topic of KJV only-ism. The KJV-only Issue Page

Big buck,
to answer your question you wrote in an e-mail to me.
The NIV is the bible I use most. If you are interested in pointing out all the deferences to me,(compared to your KJV) You can save your time, because I am already aware of the differences and prefer to cross reference the text/scripts etc. that the KJV was translated from.

308nate

Tom,
The difference in true Christianity and religion/cults is I serve a risen Lord.You can climb through all the windows you want (and i appreciate it) but all your earthly work will someday faid away and all that will stand will be what each one of us did with Christ.

Bigbuck

Bigbuck, that is a sad view of how things are. I was always taught that our earthly works are what will send us to heaven. You see, our earthly works are exactly what we do w/ christ. It must be good to feel so superior to all others who see things differently than you.

Thank you 308 nate for your contribution.

Bigbuck, that is a sad view of how things are. I was always taught that our earthly works are what will send us to heaven. You see, our earthly works are exactly what we do w/ christ. It must be good to feel so superior to all others who see things differently than you.

Thank you 308 nate for your contribution.

Britz,

In spite of what you may have been taught, have you searched the scriptures diligiently regarding this issue? Many things are 'taught' and they should tested against the scriptures say to see if they are true. The scriptures are the standard, not what someone teaches as there are many false teachers and many teachers that make very human mistakes in there interpretation of the scriptures--often largely because they take their philosophy to the Bible to try to make the Bible fit their philosophy rather than the other way around. 308 mentioned this earlier.

Speaking of 308, I very much doubt that he is in agreement with your above statement regarding works sending you to heaven. That is the one of the biggest false teachings regarding the scriptures there could be. Christ and the scriptures clearly teach that we are saved by grace, through faith that no human can boast that they attained salvation by themselves. We are created to do good works, but good works are clearly not what save us! This is one of Satan's biggest, easist to believe, lies. Remember, he is the Great Deceiver that deceived Eve and Adam in the Garden of Eden and humanity all throughout history since. Don't be deceived--search the scriptures diligently. This is just one of many sciptures talking about this all important issue:

Ephesians 2:8-10 -- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Have a good day.

Jon

jmden, I have not searched the scriptures as diligently as many of you have... I will be the first to admit that. However, I have studied history and have many beliefs that I'm sure you do not. admittedly we have very different belief systems.

I see the scriptures as works written by wise people who are trying to put to paper what was taught to them by wiser men and women. I see that they were written down at times years after the event has happened. I see that they were written during very volatile times, by people with very strong faith.

I see scriptures as a guide, not an absolute history.

Britz,

jmden is correct that I do not believe that we can get to heaven by good works.
As the bible clearly teaches this.

Britz,
If what you say is true about the bible,Not being the inspired word of God, that makes God out to be a liar as he says it is His inspired word, therefore if what you say is true the whole thing would be a lie as well as my life.

As far as works, God is interested in our hearts and souls. I believe it pleases God when we love one another with unconditional love, love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it keeps no record of wrongs, it never gives up.

If I was trying to get to heaven by good works, I have already failed. You see I believe God wants us to do good works and to love one another out of a grateful heart for what he has done for us, not because we are trying to get something from him (salvation )

I have had people do very nice things for me, only to find out they were trying to get something from me, and that they were not really interested in just blessing me or just being my friend, but were only my friend when I had something to offer them. This hurts very much as this means they were never interested in me only what I possessed or could offer. therefore I feel it is good to do good works, but there is no saving power in it......the saving power is in what Jesus did on the cross, being a living sacrifice as we have all been found guilty of sinful hearts. By doing good works with the intention of earning your way into heaven, it is an insult to God as he already gave us the gift of salvation FREE for the receiving.

When we think we can earn our way to heaven we make what Jesus did on the cross to be useless and a liar. kinda like insulting him and saying we don't need him we can do it on our own. Why did he do this? because we have all sinned and fell short of the glory of God. We didn't make it. The debt of sin needed to be paid. We could not pay that debt as it would have cost us our life and soul eternally. Jesus paid that debt as an atonement for our sins. Do I understand all this to it's fullest? by no means. I only understand what my feeble mind can. Could I be wrong on these things, yes, I am only human, but I have done much research and will continue to do more research and the more I do the more sure I am in my own mind and heart that God is true and has made a way where there seemed to be no way.

*Disclaimer: Just my opinion..a mere man,Please do not form your thinking from my opinion, this was offered just as an explanation.

308nate

Last edited:
jmden, I have not searched the scriptures as diligently as many of you have... I will be the first to admit that. However, I have studied history and have many beliefs that I'm sure you do not. admittedly we have very different belief systems.

I see the scriptures as works written by wise people who are trying to put to paper what was taught to them by wiser men and women. I see that they were written down at times years after the event has happened. I see that they were written during very volatile times, by people with very strong faith.

I see scriptures as a guide, not an absolute history.

2 peter 1: 21
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.KJV

Bigbuck

Nate, I hope we can agree to disagree on some things.

As for "paying" my way into heaven by doing good works... that's not at all what I mean.

I mean that by doing good works and being kind to other people (aka children of God) we are doing God's work. I'm not saying that it is all of the work to be done, but some of it and I'd like to think that it's a good effort. Just my opinion of course

I do firmly believe that a Hindu or a Jewish person, a Muslim... all can go to heaven. Nothing anyone can say to me or any scripture that can be recited and interpreted will change my mind on that one. That is a "faith" I have.

I mean no offense to Jesus or God in saying that... I mean no offense to you or anyone else in saying that... It's just my opinion.
I will try to stay off this thread because it is a pointless argument since we are all convinced we are right.

Have a good day all,
Mark.

Nate, I hope we can agree to disagree on some things.

As for "paying" my way into heaven by doing good works... that's not at all what I mean.

I mean that by doing good works and being kind to other people (aka children of God) we are doing God's work. I'm not saying that it is all of the work to be done, but some of it and I'd like to think that it's a good effort. Just my opinion of course

I do firmly believe that a Hindu or a Jewish person, a Muslim... all can go to heaven. Nothing anyone can say to me or any scripture that can be recited and interpreted will change my mind on that one. That is a "faith" I have.

I mean no offense to Jesus or God in saying that... I mean no offense to you or anyone else in saying that... It's just my opinion.
I will try to stay off this thread because it is a pointless argument since we are all convinced we are right.

Have a good day all,
Mark.

Britz,
Yes, we can agree to disagree on some things. No hard feelings.

308nate

Isaiah 14:12
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! KJV

Revelations 22:16 tells us that Jesus Christ is the "Morning Star". The King James Bible never gives this tittle to anyone else. However, in some new versions, Jesus Christ and Satan are the same, because some versions have taken the liberty to call Satan the "morning star" in Isaiah 14:12 .
Although some versions do not go so far as to call Satan the "morning star," they still throw out the name "Lucifer".

308 nate's bible first NIV....morning star
NASB... star of the morning
NRSV.....Day Star
REB.... Bright morning star
NWT.... you shining one
NAB......morning star

308 nate
2 TI 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the Knowledge of the truth. KJV

Bigbuck,

The Hebrew word translated as "Lucifer" in Isaiah 14:12 in the KJV is heylel (hay-lale', Strong's #1966), and literally means "shining one", "morning star", "light bearer", etc. Isaiah 14:12 is the only place in scripture where this Hebrew word appears.

The use of "Lucifer" is ancient, in Latin where it was the term to refer to the planet Venus when it appeared as a star in the morning. Although some early Christian Latin writings refer to "Lucifer", it was the Latin Vulgate that is most responsible for its widespread use. The Vulgate was produced by Jerome (c. 347-420) by translating available Greek and Hebrew manuscripts into Latin. It was started in approximately 382 A.D. and was completed in approximately 405 A.D. It was the scriptures used by the Catholic Church for nearly 1000 years. Here's what the Vulgate says (note the lower case):

Isaiah 14:12 (Latin Vulgate) "quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes"

St. Jerome, by Messina, looking tired after a long, hard day of Vulgating

Jerome understood the meaning of the Hebrew word heylel, and translated it into "lucifer", the Latin word meaning "light bearer" (from the Latin lux "light" and ferre "to bear or bring"). "lucifer", at the time of the Vulgate and even at the time of the KJV translation, meant "morning star" or "day star" in reference to Venus. Jerome (and some others before him) thought the passage was referring to Satan in addition to the king of Babylon, and because of this the use the word "lucifer" made the transition from a term referring to Venus to also refer to Satan. In other words, it was because of some peoples' interpretation of the passage that "Lucifer", the "morning star", began to be thought of as referring to Satan in addition to its existing meaning. Early church fathers believed that "Lucifer" is not a formal name of the devil, but instead denotes only the state from which he has fallen. Thus, depending on context, "lucifer" could refer to various things, such as Venus, Satan, Jesus, an angel, a pagan deity, the morning - basically anything that "bears light". There was a fourth century bishop named "Lucifer". "Lucifer" in Dutch means "match" in English, and even appears as such in some English dictionaries. Jerome didn't use "lucifer" to refer only to Satan, and this can be shown by of how Jerome used "lucifer" elsewhere in the Vulgate. Although "Lucifer" only occurs once in the KJV, it occurs multiple times in the Vulgate: once as shown above, and also in:

Job 11:17 (Latin Vulgate) "et quasi meridianus fulgor consurget tibi ad vesperam et cum te consumptum putaveris orieris ut lucifer"

Job 38:32 (Latin Vulgate) "numquid producis luciferum in tempore suo et vesperum super filios terrae consurgere facis"

Psalms 109(110):3 (Latin Vulgate) "tecum principium in die virtutis tuae in splendoribus sanctorum ex utero ante luciferum genui te"

2 Peter 1:19 (Latin Vulgate) "et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris"

What is interesting about those verses where "lucifer" is used is what the term is referring to. The KJV was not translated from the Vulgate, but here are those verses in the KJV for comparison, to illustrate what the Latin word "lucifer" meant in the Vulgate:

Job 11:17 (KJV) "And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning."

Job 38:32 (KJV) "Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?"

Psalms 110:3 (KJV) "Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth."

2 Peter 1:19 (KJV) "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: "

So, we learn that the name "Lucifer" in the KJV is more of a transliteration (a new word derived from a foreign word). This transliteration is not even from the original Hebrew, but instead from the Latin. If "Lucifer" in the KJV is strictly a proper name for Satan, then that means the Bible has changed meaning. The term "Lucifer" in the KJV has confused many people today, because the historical meaning has largely been forgotten. However, the use of the word "lucifer" is perfectly acceptable if you understand what "lucifer" really means.

QUOTE"
308 nate
2 TI 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the Knowledge of the truth. KJV"QUOTE"

Could it not be this applies to you, bigbuck?

bigbuck, You sound angry in your posts, relax you don't need to do it all, you don't need to convert people, Jesus will do that. You just need to be concerned about seeking first the kingdom of God and being a good neighbor. Be careful not to push your agenda.

Again, it appears you are taking words out of meaning and context. If you would have read the NIV bible it teaches nothing of the sort ( I am not saying the NIV is the only bible there are many good accurate translations, if you come to a part that doesn't make sense or you don't understand, take some time and get educated.

308nate

Last edited:
Colossians 1:14
In whom we have REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, EVEN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS : KJV

Satan hates the Atoning Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ,
so we shouldn't be surprised to find the blood missing in modern translations:

NIV...... redemption, the forgiveness of the sins
NASB.... redemption, the forgiveness of sins
NRSV......redemption, the forgiveness of sins
REB........ our release is secured and our sins sre forgiven
NWT....... we have our release by ransom, the forgiveness of sisn
NAB ........ redemption , the forgiveness of our sins

If you are a christian and you do not think that removing the blood from Gods Holy Word is wrong then you have problems my friend.

Bigbuck

2 Corinthians 2:17
For we are not as many, which CORRUPT the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

You can imagine how this verse must be a thorn in the flesh to the modern translators who are buisy CORRUPTING the word of God day and night. So, do they repent of their sins and get right with God? Of course not:

NIV.... peddling
NASB....peddling
NRSV....peddlers
REB..... adultering the word of God for profit

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.