Loctite scope base screws (blue | red | nothing )

ricka0

I was planning on using the new blue "no mess" stick loctite on my scope base screws ( torx #8-40 ) until I read the thread at Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

I did a Jon Kerry and flip flopped from blue to red then like Kerry switched back to blue then nothing.

BTW, I'm making multiple bases 15 - 35 MOA and having a pro make several 50 - 80 MOA - so nothing is semi-permanent. Maybe this implies no loctite.

P111617.jpg

handy, "no mess" stick loctite
P111618.jpg
<font color="red"> Better Red than Dead </font>

I'd go with blue, if you're swapping them out semi-frequently. It does require care, but you can pop the seal.

FWIW, I use red on my hunting rifles. I'd weld them if I could...they're never to come off.

I have used all, blue, red and nothing, at all. I used to think things were permanent, never change bases or rings. Wrong. I find that I change rings fairly frequently, and bases once in a while. I have snapped the heads off of the hardened base screws. A couple times, half of the head. The blue sealant is a step in the right direction, if you promise never to change your configurations. (big objective, small objective, etc.) Blue seems to hold fine.

Okay, that was before. Now, I am careful to completely degrease the threaded holes, chase them, and really make sure that all the crud is off the screw threads....and use nothing when mounting; bare metal to metal. If you use a little gun oil, once in a while, rust shouldn't be much of a problem. I see nothing wrong in applying a small drop of nail polish to the underside of ring screws, as you would trigger adjustments.

One thing for sure, I do not feel that the red Loctite is appropriate on a firearm.
Personal opinion.
(subject to changing my mind in specific instances)

Good hunting. LB

If a bolt keeps coming loose, I would use blue but understand if you do it properly, removing can be a big pain.

Another level is white. Used in plumbing it is the lightest hold level there is.

Jerry

To remove lock tight coated screws rather blue or red, a little heat from a hair drier or heat gun as well as a few sharp rapid taps on the end of the driver as you turn it will break the bond. Caution should be used if the screws are on rings as heat or sharp blows can affect the scope. Also remember the gunsmiths rule #8 always use the correct size screw driver with a ground blade or get smart and use torx.

As a general rule of thumb, blue is removable, red is not. If you are looking for a lot of information then see your loctite dealer and get a product information catalog. There are many different grades of loctite. The last book I had was about a half an inch thick and was very informative. A little bit of heat is helpful in removing a stuborn loctited fastener. Just personal opinion but I would stick with the blue on a firearm. If you really want red then pick up a lower strength red. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.