A question of base screws

Re: What does anybody think?

I agree with the extra strength. I am going to leave the factory screws in there, but I am going to have the base glued/bedded to the action. If I need to remove it which I doubt I will I can use heat or cold. From what the other people say that should make it pretty much bomb proof.

-John

Re: What does anybody think?

I'm not a gunsmith but I'm a boat builder. Does that work? I've drilled and tapped two of my rifles for 8/40; one is a Rem 700 that I use for my backpack hunting, thinking that it would give a safety factor in a fall when I'm 5 or 10 miles back which I do with amazing regularity (fall, that is). I did it by gluing the bases on with epoxy, letting it cure, then removing the old #6 screws and using thebases to pilot. Oh, and I made a little fixture to hold the barreled action flat so I could do this on a drill press, but if you have a good eye (and don't have a drill press) you could do it with a drill motor. Tapped the holes, got some screws from Brownells, and the job was done.
These were either the old Redfield bases or Leupold; can't remember.

The other rifle is a Ruger single shot that I restocked and had installed an aftermarket 28" barrel. I used #8 screws because the sight base has to go on the barrel and everything is that much more critical.

Honestly, over the years I've taken several falls when hunting and never had a problem with the bases moving. I've had rings move on the bases, but never the bases.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts