Leupold STD Base Screw Question

MT257

Bone head question, does the shorter screws go on the front base or rear base of the STD Leupold Bases?

What rifle are you talking about? But normally the short screws go in the front. Test them by making sure that the bolt operates properly. If the screws are too long they will prohibit the bolt lugs from turning,

I have a weatherby vanguard. I put the longer ones up front and shorter in rear. Bolt opens and closes fine. I figured if they needed to be the other way around the bolt wouldn't have closed?

I have a weatherby vanguard. I put the longer ones up front and shorter in rear. Bolt opens and closes fine. I figured if they needed to be the other way around the bolt wouldn't have closed?

Interesting, a long time ago I had the scope/mounts mounted on a new Rem 700 by the gun store Id just bough the whole package off & went straight to the range, when I got there I sat at the bench ready to take my 1st shot & couldn't close the bolt.

Didn't know what was going on, asked the guys at the range & they were straight onto it after I told them the story.
On the Rem the long bolts at the front stopped the bolt from closing.

Easy to check, just don't do it at the range :rolleyes:;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.