Adjusting Leupold STD base

j_unzicker

I should have picked up a pair of DD's but I had an extra one-piece STD laying around and I am going to mount it on my Remington 700. Any advice on how to use the windage adjustments when mounting the scope? I don't plan to ever adjust them after I loctite them in place, but want to make sure that, during initial instillation, I get the scope centered with the bore. I know that all kinds of problems can happen when the scope is canted. Any advice?
Thanks.

As you adjust the rear windage screws, it should spin the front dovetail ever so slightly, but I cant see how it would affect the cant if you have leveled the reticle and tightend the rings.

How to use them? Loosen on side, and tighten the other while looking through the bore sight, until its lined up. It's designed as a "course" adjustment for initial mounting and bore sighting.

Hope that helps

Yes, that helps. Thanks. I didn't know that the font dovetail moved as the rear adjustments were made.
I guess my main concern is not having the scope aligned exactly with the bore. Correct me if I am wrong, because I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me that if your scope and bore are not aligned perfectly together then the further out you shoot your bullet will continue to drift either to the right or the left depending on the misalignment of the scope. Is that correct? And if so, can the rear windage adjustments cause this problem? Or would it be so minor that it would be inconsequential. I plan on shooting long range and don't want a drifting bullet.

what I do with this type of base is ; mount the scope . use a bore sighter DON"T turn the scope windage turret , use the base screws to get close . go to 100yard range and sight in by using the windage screws until it's close, then use the windage turret . my past experience with this has showed me a quarter turn on these screws has about a 6" @ 100 yards change . by loosening the right screw a quarter turn and tightening the left screw a quarter turn my POI moved to the right 6" @ 100 yards . Jim

Sounds good. I'll bore sight to get close...then take the scope off and make sure the rings are aligned. Then lap...Then remount, take it to the range and use the base windage screws to get close. Once I get to the point, it is going to be hard to get loctite on the basee windage screws. Do these screws really need loctite, or will they stay snug?
Thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts