shimming a leupold base?

Oldschool280

Hello everyone, today i banged in at work to take my recently rebarreled savage 110 to the range, i also swapped scopes to a vintage bausch and lomb target scope. Previously this rifle was a 300 win with a bushnellnlegend scope and everything worked just fine. Today I expected to be able to zero the rifle easily and then work on load development. I had a few issues but most notable was the fact that at 100 yards With the scope dialed all the way up, i was still 5 inches low. The scope appears to track properly, just not happy in its One piece leupold base. I was considering shimming and bedding the one piece base between the receiver and the base to give myself the much needed adjustment. Anybody here familiar with this technique, is it worth it? Should I just punt And spring for a new base and Burris z rings? Is there a way to machine the front post shorter on the leupold base ? The goal is to use this rifle to ring steel at 1000 yards, And potentially Hunt with it at extended the ranges as well. Thanks for your time

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.