Leupold STD rings and bases???

TheHardWay

I am in the process of swapping out a 1" tube scope to a 30mm tube scope on one of my rifles. I had the Leupold 1" STD rings and bases on the rifle with the old scope. For the new one, I figured that I would just switch to 30mm STD rings, and keep the STD bases I had. Well when I went to insert the front twist-in ring, I found the the dual dovetail on the new 30mm ring won't fit into the base. Am I missing something here? I thought that STD bases were for use with either 1" or 30mm rings?????? It is probably just my wonderful luck that I got a set of rings that slipped through the person working quality control's fingers!

take them back and get a one piece base and rings for a weaver set-up. those Lupy bases/rings have damaged more scopes than you can shake a stick at.

The 30 MM's will fit the base. Some of the rings I have found have slight burr's on them which make turning them in a bit hard at times. If you do not have the Leupold wrench to turn them in with I have in the past put the top cap on the ring and then found a wooden dowel that would fit the 30MM hole and used that for a wrench to turn them in with which caused no damage to the ring or bluing on them. I switch scopes a lot and am always switching the rings back and forth depending on the application I wish to use the rifle for.
Leupold also makes a set of steel rods that work well for aligning the rings so they are straight.

I have the wrench and alignment rods but I can't even get the ring inserted into the base. The DD is a several thousandths too big. Guess I will go and try to exchange them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.