Leupold STD rings and bases

dan25

I am just letting forum members know my experience with Leupold STD rings and bases. I have heard too many stories about scopes not holding there zero more than once with these mounts and bases. Just recently, my friend had some issues with his 22-250 shooting 3" to the left for no apparent reason. He sighted gun in and adjusted scope and was dialed back in. Went out that night and missed 2 coyotes at 50 and 80 yds. Called me up and asked me to help him figure out the problem. I looked at the gun and mount system. Top ring screws were tight. Upon looking at where the rear ring meets the base on the Leupold mount; both rear windage screws were barely tight. This was allowing the rear of his scope to move ever so slightly right and left. This is my second first hand experience with this problem, both on low recoil varmit calibers. I guess if the screws always stay tight and you constantly check them, they should work. I personally would never trust a mount like this and just letting everyone know who owns this setup to either change them or at least check those 2 rear windage screws to make sure there tight. Thanks.

I don't particularly like the windage adjustable rear bases of the Leupold STD rings & bases, but they do work if installed properly. It doesn't sound like someone properly tightened the windage screws. That's operator error, not Leupold's fault.

Dual dovetails are a much better system in my opinion.

I don't particularly like the windage adjustable rear bases of the Leupold STD rings & bases, but they do work if installed properly. It doesn't sound like someone properly tightened the windage screws. That's operator error, not Leupold's fault.

Dual dovetails are a much better system in my opinion.

I wasn't knocking leupold in any way; just a friendly heads up so people are aware. Thanks. I am also a fan of dual dovetails and also 1 piece dnz mounts for my optics.

I have quite a few of these mounts and I have always put alot of muscle to those two screws with a big screw driver. The new style screws with a combination Torx/scredwriver slot I can definately see loosening up if theyre only tightend with a Torx driver. I always have both rings tightened around a steel bar when I do that back ring because it will twist when the screws are turned.

I got used lots of these bases and rings without any problems. I once broke a windage screw went to local gun shop to pickup another. my gunsmith friend that worked there brought one out and told if you tighten these with a coin you will never break another. I have this to be true until Leupold changed the screws to torx. Just my two cents worth. SWIPERgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.