Factory misaligned Scope base screws pattern ?

Iron Worker

I have a 338-378 WBY Accumark . Bought rifle used hardly fired ,already had standard Leupold rings and bases. 40 rounds destroyed front Ring where it cams into base.( wiggled like jello) So i bought a Ken Farrell industries Steel rail Designed for this rifle. Had some Burris extreme tactical rings mounted scope and tried to bore sight it at 50 yds. I ran out of left wind age adjustment ! Zeiss V6 ,I removed the left turrent cap to make sure I was by passing the Zero stop . So could this one piece picatanny rail have revealed a misaligned factory scope base set ? What is the fix ?

IW, perhaps have a smith look at it. I don't think a blow from your sleever bar will help. A cheap fix would be a set of Leupold rings with the windage adjustment. I saw a guy who had a Savage with the mount holes off, he used the Leupolds to get the scope aligned.

Take the action out of stock, set it up on V blocks so receiver is horizontal and verify whether the scope rail is parallel to receiver left to right. If it is parallel, then it suggests that either the barrel is bent or barrel tenon was not faced perpendicular to the bore or the receiver was not faced/threaded perpendicular to the axis of the action. Then a discussion with the manufacturer can commence or if out of warranty / no customer support you would have to find someone to blueprint the action/barrel.

If only the rail mounting holes are off, it may be possible to relocate the holes some distance or enlarge them so that they are properly on axis to hold the rail on straight.

Signature rings definitely work and are one of the few easy solutions to the problem you're having.

I used them on a custom action to resolve the same issue. Easy fix. The only issue you will have is that you can't use the same rings/inserts to give you some elevation at the same time. If you have a canted base then it won't matter either way.

My Elevation is good. Rifle at 50yds shoots 5" to the right and that's with the left wind age bottomed out . Just wondering what shims go where ,when I get the rings ? I understand detailed instructions come with it.

Inserts come in sets and should not be mixed up. For instance, +10 should always be used with a -10 in the same ring. However, front and rear rings can use different sets.

Typically, an insert goes in the bottom half of the ring and the other in the top. In your case you will have one insert on the left and another on the right. It seems odd but it works well once you figure out which set of inserts are needed; ie 5s, 10s, or 20s.

Having used the Burris insert rings several times may I suggest that you stick a bore sighter in the barrel and look through the scope before you start then you have a reference point to see if you are making progress. the inserts may end up anywhere on the clock. You can get the results you want with patience. Good luck.

I have used the burris sig rings as well on a remington 700 that was badly misaligned, about 30 MOA off center. I centered the scope in the middle of it's adjustment and essentially boresighted with the ring inserts, and got within about 3 MOA, so the scope is very close to optical center. I love those rings. I like them for about any rifle, they eliminate the need for lapping rings and as long as you use a torque wrench, you will never have ring marks.

I should add that in an extreme case, you could use the inserts to move the rear of the scope in one direction and, simultaneously, use a set of inserts to move the front of the scope in the opposite directions. This could give you a significant amount of adjustment depending on which inserts you use.

However, if you need an extreme amount of adjustment then I'd opt for getting the opinion of a competent gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts