misaligned reciever holes for scope

Re-cut the face...!!!
That works too (if the face isn't square but that still has to be determined and I'm leaninig toward misalignment in jigging the receiver when the drill/tap operation was performed on the receiver itself, something that occurs when the human factor is employed.

Someone has to fixture the receiver in the holding jig prior to. It may have been a Monday morning at 8:05AM....lol

A reciever face out of square by .001 causes the barrel to be "off" by.00000174xx

which will cause a prefectly true barrel to put a bullet .628 from where ya want it to go at 100 yards.

And people....001 of a degree aint much at all!!!...

Last edited:
It could very well be his reciever face needs squaring...But my money is still on misaligned holes. And I rarely see an older model Remington with misaligned holes or an out of square receiver....Especially recievers from the 60's to the early 2000's...That was back when Rem still had good QC. My Sendero SF is proof of that. That gun is a 2002-2003 model and it has been stacking 1 ragged hole groups since it was new.

Then again, my 2011 model 700 5R .308 also does the same thing, but I've been told those, like all Rem's higher-end lines, are put together and fitted by hand by master gunsmiths, vs the mass-production factor.

If his gun were a newer model ADL Wally World or Academy special, I might be a bit on the concerned side of things about the misalignment or out of square receiver, especially since those rifles are the factory seconds, that couldn't pass the cut as a BDL or CDL... Which for $379.99 makes them an excellent candidate for chunking the barrel & stock and starting a custom build on them, where you are going to true up the whole reciever anyway...

Thats what im gonna do Bruce. I dont want to redrill because if its the barrel I will be making a bigger mess. Im gonna use the S&K bases and rings. When I get back ill have the reciever blueprinted and a custom barrel put on. I meant talley rings I hate auto correct.

Good plan. When I said to "chuck" the Tally rings, I really meant replace them - temporarily. Now that you've bedded and lapped the Tally rings, the only issue with them is that they aren't windage adjustable, which is what you need for a temporary fix.

After you get the rifle back from the gunsmith, you may find that the Tally's you have are boresighted just fine. If not, then the receiver holes were at least part of the problem. Your gunsmith will sort all that out for you.

That works too (if the face isn't square but that still has to be determined and I'm leaninig toward misalignment in jigging the receiver when the drill/tap operation was performed on the receiver itself, something that occurs when the human factor is employed.

Someone has to fixture the receiver in the holding jig prior to. It may have been a Monday morning at 8:05AM....lol

I'm thinking the same thing here. On the positive side, if the holes aren't WAY off, a good smith can open the screw holes to 8-40's & center them at the same time (I had this done on a 700). Chad didn't have to fill the holes first, then again, he didn't use a drill either. All of 20mins of work, the wonders of CNC I guess. :rolleyes:

t

I'm thinking the same thing here. On the positive side, if the holes aren't WAY off, a good smith can open the screw holes to 8-40's & center them at the same time (I had this done on a 700). Chad didn't have to fill the holes first, then again, he didn't use a drill either. All of 20mins of work, the wonders of CNC I guess. :rolleyes:

t

I wouldn't drill them either though CNC is not required other than extrapolarion of the original bore location. I'd use a centercutting end mill myself. That way, the bottom of the hole remains flat.

I'm in the middle myself of a similar scenario with a firearms manufacturer.

I wouldn't drill them either though CNC is not required other than extrapolarion of the original bore location. I'd use a centercutting end mill myself. That way, the bottom of the hole remains flat.

I'm in the middle myself of a similar scenario with a firearms manufacturer.

I do believe that is what he used (I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to machining). The cutter (actually the table) worked in a circular motion as it plunged... pretty dern cool to watch.

t

In the end, I'll wind up with a complete new receiver, but then it's a pistol, a match pistol and I bought it new. Mine is exponentially worse, to the point where with any optic moounted, there is a very visible offset in windage that you can physically see.

I could TIG the holes shut and redrill and tap but it's a manufacturing defect and while the pistol is very accurate, I don't like the offset.

Place a 3' straight edge tight against the receiver parallel with the barrel. Measure gap between straight edge and the end of the barrel. Do the same to the other side. Is there a difference in the measurement. Could be the threads in the receiver were cut crooked. I happen to have a Model Seven that has a 3/8" difference. Need a lathe to true it up. Randy

S&K rings and bases. Worked great, looks good, and run it out to 600yd 12" plate can ring it all day long. Gonna run it like this till it gives me trouble. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to update. I'm glad it all worked out.

BTW- I just stumbled across this Snipers Hide post by the Gunsmith I use discussing how he corrects the misaligned holes.

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...m700-accurizing-group-buy-14.html#post2545719

[QUOTE Originally Posted by Cproflow
OK...I'm about ready to jump in, but have a (probably stupid) question--what is the 8-40 scope base hole work, and why would I want it? I see that is a very common option being sought in this group buy. What is it exactly?[/QUOTE]

the #8-40 scope base scew upgrade serves two principle purposes.

1. As stated, they offer more surface engagement with the receiver and as a result offer a bit more strength.
2. Remington cranks out M700 actions like nobodies business. I've been told that when running full steam they can make 2500 actions a week. Impressive to say the least. The scope base holes are drilled and tapped. Drills like to wander and wear as do taps. What can happen is the holes are not on the bore centerline location. They may traverse a bit left or right.

I've seen some that are pretty bad.

As the video illustrates, we helically bore and then thread mill the base holes. What this does is in practical terms make the hole locations exact in location. This is because we are essentially single point machining the hole/thread in the same fashion as a lathe. (in spirit, but the two processes differ greatly)

So long as the machine is in good shape you have a very good probability of the holes being "jonny on the spot".

Our Kitamura is a marquee piece of equipment. Should you decide to have it done, it will do a good job for you.

Just last week I made some improvements to our work holding. It's made the setup process drop by around 3 minutes per receiver. With over 200 actions in the pipe right now, that's 10 hours of work saved.

Very cool in my book.

Hope this helps.

C.​
  • Owner, Gunmaker
    LongRifles, Inc.
    3570 Mayer Suite "B"
    Sturgis, SD 57785

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.