Locks for your gun safe

I found on my S & G lock that going half a number past the correct numbers works every time. Mine is probably 40 years old and I think that the mechanism wears from use causing the need to go past the numbers slightly.
I do this same thing and works fine now. My sons was off also so he figured out how to reset it. Good locksmith could do this too.

I have one that started slipping and I just use the day lock feature and the key. Is that as convenient is pushing buttons no but I can get into it whenever I need to

My gun safe has a S & G rotary style combination lock on it. Sometimes it doesn't work and takes multiple tries (and yes I know I am doing it correctly). Had anyone ever changed theirs out to a digital style lock? If so how hard is it? I called a few locksmiths and they want $600-$800 to change it. I can almost buy another safe for that price. Any thoughts on how to change it and brands of new digital locks?
With your safe open and the lock discs visible (remove the door backing and any underlying enclosures), spin the combination watching where the "sweet spot" slot aligns for each number. You may see that the original combination numbers no longer perfectly align with the slot required for opening. Then, again, spin the combination sequence, carefully noting the specific number where the slots align perfectly, noting those new numbers. Finally, spin the combination using your new observed combination numbers. If those new numbers function better, that is your correct combination. However, if the original combination originally worked flawlessly then over time began to loose precision, your discs may be less than tight and slipping with use, resulting in the wandering combination numbers. Troubleshoot the disc tightness to avoid another recurrence of combination wander. There are videos on YouTube ....specifically for the cheap Sentry brand mechanical combination safes......demonstrating the technique to determine correct accurate combination. Good luck. Also, failing success per above suggestion....or first......call S&G. Their customer service is excellent.

Side note regarding electronic digital locks. There have been numerous concerns whether electronic digital locks would become inoperative, with safe contents inaccessible, in the event of an EMP event......natural or manmade. S&G has advised that even their earlier electronic locks were subsequently found to be EMP proof/resistant. Newer locks are marketed toward that EMP tolerant feature.

FYI, regarding what is an EMP event. From the internet for brevity.......An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse's origin may be a natural occurrence or human-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source. Of sufficient impact, an EMP would burn out any unprotected electronic devices.....your car's electronic ignition, computers, flat screen monitors/TVs, smartphones, gas stations pumping systems, banking ATMs, anything with electronic circuitry.

I had to clean the wheels/inerds of my lock when having similar issues. I sprayed the lock work with a lightweight penetrating/cleaning type oil to clean out the aged & dried oil residue from when it was new. I let that penetrate & clean overnight, did the same again, & buttoned it up. Never had any more trouble.

With your safe open and the lock discs visible (remove the door backing and any underlying enclosures), spin the combination watching where the "sweet spot" slot aligns for each number. You may see that the original combination numbers no longer perfectly align with the slot required for opening. Then, again, spin the combination sequence, carefully noting the specific number where the slots align perfectly, noting those new numbers. Finally, spin the combination using your new observed combination numbers. If those new numbers function better, that is your correct combination. However, if the original combination originally worked flawlessly then over time began to loose precision, your discs may be less than tight and slipping with use, resulting in the wandering combination numbers. Troubleshoot the disc tightness to avoid another recurrence of combination wander. There are videos on YouTube ....specifically for the cheap Sentry brand mechanical combination safes......demonstrating the technique to determine correct accurate combination. Good luck. Also, failing success per above suggestion....or first......call S&G. Their customer service is excellent.

Side note regarding electronic digital locks. There have been numerous concerns whether electronic digital locks would become inoperative, with safe contents inaccessible, in the event of an EMP event......natural or manmade. S&G has advised that even their earlier electronic locks were subsequently found to be EMP proof/resistant. Newer locks are marketed toward that EMP tolerant feature.

FYI, regarding what is an EMP event. From the internet for brevity.......An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse's origin may be a natural occurrence or human-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source. Of sufficient impact, an EMP would burn out any unprotected electronic devices.....your car's electronic ignition, computers, flat screen monitors/TVs, smartphones, gas stations pumping systems, banking ATMs, anything with electronic circuitry.
you really can't see the gates to see the "Sweet Spot" on an S&G lock with the back cover on or off of the lock as you describe or the back of the safe door for that mater. You can do that on the lower end Sentry Safe you mention. I wouldn't mess with the spacer discs or the wave tension washer in an S&G lock...in fact the newer models use an allan wrench in a gear drive systems to adjust the wheel pack tension.

I had to clean the wheels/inerds of my lock when having similar issues. I sprayed the lock work with a lightweight penetrating/cleaning type oil to clean out the aged & dried oil residue from when it was new. I let that penetrate & clean overnight, did the same again, & buttoned it up. Never had any more trouble.
you shouldn't spray any kind of wet lub in a safe lock. It could/will create a suction and cause the flies not to operate properly. The proper lub for an S&G mechanical lock is Versilube and an amount just larger than a pin head might be too much.

I used to have the same problem on an old safe I had. Had to tap the combo with a rubber mallet. I finally called a locksmith that specializes in gun safes. He took the rotary combo apart and cleaned the wholly heck out of it. Worked fine till I sold it.

here is a cut away of the lock. The gates would be behind the fence nose there at the top by the cover locator hole

.jpg

Thanks again for all the good info. I think I'm going to order a new digital lock this week. Sounds like it is a fairly easy install if it only takes an hour or so.

most of the newer manufacturers state they are EMP "proof" but who knows. The only real negative of the digital lock is now the wife will be able to open the safe and see what is in there is she wants. She might either go shopping herself or try and cut my nuts off....but at least she doesn't have a clue what guns and rifles cost. Just about everything in my safe "only cost about $500" Well that's what I tell her anyways. Not sure if she actually believes that or not

These are indications of trouble!
It would be best to open it and not lock it back until it is repaired.
The tolerance of an S&G mechanical lock are about 1/2 of a number when dialing. Sometimes the wheels don't lock properly or there may be some wear causing the issue. Open the door and lock it open. Dial the combination and on the last number dial it 1# off in either/both directions. If it opens regularly a combination reset may be in order to get the gates to line up properly under the fence.
Then we can go from there.
Seems like you have a lot of knowledge on the S&G locks. Are there any real noticeable differences in their digital locks? Looks like they have a few different models. I don't need multiple combos for the lock which seems to be a factor in price but is the more expensive lock made with better components??

if your asking my opinion on what S&G lock to use to replace your mechanical lock with, I would suggest the Spartan D Drive. I have 6120s on mine and as soon as the stop, that is what I will replace mine with. :)
Many of the failures that some electronic locks have is the safe bolt work applies some pressure to the combination locking bolt. Often it shows up as having to turn the door locking handle to relieve the pressure so the lock is able to open. It often doesn't matter if it is a straight bolt type or swing bolt type. The swing bolt seems to be less susceptible to the tension. The D Drive (Direct Drive) gives you the enjoyment of the quick electronic entry but you have to rotate the ring around the key pad to open the lock mechanically.

Liberty Safe used those locks for a time as well as a few others

You can buy a brand new S&G 6730-100 on Amazon for about $120. You can get them on EBay also and some higher end S&G also. I have replaced two old ones and they are great.