Gun Safety at Home - small pistol safe, trigger lock, cable lock

geo4061

Do you use one or all of these to keep your guns from curious young hands at home? I am thinking about two of the small safes with the finger code. One on each end of the house. Then using a lock on the others. Or maybe locking up the bolts on the bolt guns then locks on the pistols and AR's. Trigger lock, cable lock, or what are you using. Let me know what you think and what you like including the brand that you would recommend.

Most everything is in a Superior safe, but I keep a pistol in a small safe in my closet and my wife and Is daily carry pistols on the top shelf in my closet. Nothing more useless than a firearm with a lock on it when you need it.

Another option would be to put them all in a closet and put a lock on it with a different key than the house key.

All of my firearms are locked in safes 100% of the time unless I am using one or two at the moment. That does not include the daily carry pistol but I will say that it is on me all the time so security isn't an issue with it.
Remember that dirt bags could break in and they will take part of a firearm or all with trigger lock and cable lock.

Most of mine are like yours in a safe or locked gun cabinet. I do keep a pistol on each end of the house in bedrooms for quick access. They are loaded. We put them in the safe when the grand kids come up. I don't like that option. A SMALL bedside safe would be great if the finger swipe was reliable. What I have read is that they are not. The combination lock looks slow and it's dark. I also think maybe I should put a trigger, or cable, or some kind of lock on the guns in my cabinet. Nothing gets by these youngsters. So while the odds of them finding the key and opening the cabinet are slim I really do not want to take any chance.

Last edited:
Always in a safe.

IMO The likelihood that I can't open a handgun safe in time to stop a threat is very low compared to the possibility of curiosity in others. People are stupid, even the smart ones. Something like the Fort Knox handgun safes or a vaultek is a convenient and strong obstacle that will keep anyone but an actual criminal out, for not that much cash.

Long guns/target handguns go in big safes.

Plus my cat screws with everything and I like the cat I'd rather it not shoot itself.

I have a vault for storage.

In the closet, I have a built in locker with key for my HD AR and 12 gauge.

Pistol in bed side safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts