Locks for your gun safe

I found on my S & G lock that going half a number past the correct numbers works every time. Mine is probably 40 years old and I think that the mechanism wears from use causing the need to go past the numbers slightly.
yes...the parts are brass and repeated hitting of the flies cause an indention and can cause this issue. Your lock can be reset to open on the original #s if you so choose. Slow and steady turns relieves this in most cases as opposed to say a whipping motion of the dial

yes...the parts are brass and repeated hitting of the flies cause an indention and can cause this issue. Your lock can be reset to open on the original #s if you so choose. Slow and steady turns relieves this in most cases as opposed to say a whipping motion of the dial
Yes, the instructions I found on my S&G said the same. Carefully going thru the combination as opposed to flipping it hard back and forth is a big deal over time. Locking yourself out of it is a disaster. We had to cut one open after it got damaged in a moving accident. It was scrap metal then.

I also have a S&G lock on my safe. It came with a combo reset key and instructions. You go in from the back. I will dig them out this morning and post pics of key and instructions. IMO you should buy a reset key from S&G or any lock and key store and try to change combo.
OK. First check to see if these instructions are for your model.

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_075229.jpg
    IMG_20210424_075229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210424_075308.jpg
    IMG_20210424_075308.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210424_075017.jpg
    IMG_20210424_075017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210424_075211.jpg
    IMG_20210424_075211.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
Sorry...I make the assumption that you have already checked to make sure the dial ring isn't loose...the piece behind the dial you are turning.

It took me about half an hour to remove the old manual S&G on my old Browning safe and install a new digital S&G lock. The instructions were well written and pretty simple. I got the digital S&G unit from Amazon for less than 200. I used a lithium 9v battery and haven't had any issues since.

Yes, the instructions I found on my S&G said the same. Carefully going thru the combination as opposed to flipping it hard back and forth is a big deal over time. Locking yourself out of it is a disaster. We had to cut one open after it got damaged in a moving accident. It was scrap metal then.
Oh my...that was recoverable at worse with a repairable 1/4" hole.
OK. First check to see if these instructions are for your model.
looks good...it is probably an R 6730

Oh my...that was recoverable at worse with a repairable 1/4" hole.

looks good...it is probably an R 6730
That dial and combo assembly was severely damaged. Would not turn. The owner freaked out and wanted that thing opened right away so, I helped him unzip the back of the safe. Then we did a investigation and found the combo locking bar was dislodged and jambed into the door bolt levers and we couldn't see another way to get into it from the front. He got himself a new safe.

I was having problems with my rotary dial Liberty safe.I took the door off and took it over to a local locksmith.He reset the combination on it right there in the back of my truck.I asked him what I owed him and he said nothing.Try holding the dial in while setting the combination or pulling it out when setting it.Mine works best if I pull out on it while turning the dial.

Really good point on moving safes. IF you can do so, always move it yourself. Few friends had their safes "battered" around pretty good by moving companies. Seems they have attitude since a safe it is indestructible! No understanding it is a piece of furniture and not a support brace for holding up heavy objects in their truck.

I moved my safe in last move, glad I did after talking to friends that didn't.

Really good point on moving safes. IF you can do so, always move it yourself. Few friends had their safes "battered" around pretty good by moving companies. Seems they have attitude since a safe it is indestructible! No understanding it is a piece of furniture and not a support brace for holding up heavy objects in their truck.

I moved my safe in last move, glad I did after talking to friends that didn't.
Since we are 'kinda' hijacking this thread, I had my big Sportsman safe and household goods moved from CT to CA. I was worried also about how they would handle it. When they got here one of the movers put a dolly under the safe (door still on), 'rode' it down the ramp, into the garage, up two stairs (he did have some help there and into the storage/laundry/gun room (my spouse's name for the location) in a matter of a couple minutes. I was quite impressed.

I changed one out for a friend. Not hard, took an hour or so. Be sure to read the instruction before starting!! And go step by step per directions. Advise not keeping the paperwork in the safe in case you need to contact the Vendor.

Since we are 'kinda' hijacking this thread,
We are just waiting for him to report back and chatting while we wait :D

I have only lost 1...a 1500# AMSEC BF unit. It tilted off the pallet in the peoples garage and fell face first on the floor. Knocked a hole in the garage floor. I stood it up with a fork lift... entered the # on the keypad and it opened right up. He was able to use it until the new safe arrived.