gun safe questions?

mrbb

OK guys looking for opinions and any suggestions

I have a hunting camp that is basically a old farm house on some acre's, we have a security system there, and in almost 30 yrs never had a break in, we visit it a few times a moth
BUT getting tired of hauling guns there back and forth
SO< wanting to add a safe to the place
BUT my concerns are, about temp changes and or moisture issue's

as when we leave we drain all water and its SHUT down NO heat, winter temps INSIDE can get down to about 20 degree's so below freezing
and summer temps can get maybe 100 degree's at a MAX temp

so, has me worried about leaving guns in a safe that see's these temps swings

has anyone else every done this with guns in a hunting camp, and IF so, ever have any issue's with condensation issue's RUST or???

I was thinking about adding like 3-4 dehumidifiers to the inside, as I know they circulate some warm air, BUT in them COLD temps would that heat make a bigger issue than NO)T having them?
I know in summer time they would maybe be a help, but???

SO< before I just try it, looking for opinions
as hauling guns back and forth every trip is getting old
have a shooting range and trap range on site, so, it see's a lot of shooting, NOT just hunting there/
SO anyone have any suggestions??

I would keep my guns at home. Have a family farm is Mississippi for the last 40 years. We know everyone around this piece of property. That doesn't mean that bad eggs don't float around and see what you have. Three years ago lost everything that was not tied down, over $40,000 four wheeler, tractor equipment, tools and deer stands. It only took them two nights to clean us out. They would have got the tractor but was in the shop at a friends house. If you go that route insure the fire out of it, your home owners insurance may cover some but not all. I would talk to my insurance agent for sure. Cameras on your place are your best friend. Hide the best you can or have a professional come out and do it. Trust me people know when you are there or not.

Rusty

thanks I hear what your saying and yes we have hidden camera's there now as will as a a home security system that monitors it 24/7 as well
also have a lot of motion sensors and lights

I am NOT really worried about thief, and I have always added gun insurance to where ever I keep any of my guns, I DON"T rely on home owners, as it just doesn't cover very much at all.
SO all good on insurance and the best I can to stop a crook

MY bigger concern is again just worries about the guns in a safe, and don't know if they will rust, or get moldy
from sitting i n a safe in cold and then up and down on temps/temp swings!

I don't want to have to be coating them with grease to stop this either

any one have any advice on how to make this work and keep guns in good condition
would silicone gun socks help or hurt here?
as I have a lot of them from rifle/shotgun sided to hand gun sized??

like Is aid, my Only concern is about guns in a safe left in a cold building for weeks and then heat being added and then back to cold and so on thru out the winter and then again in summer when AC is on and then left and place gets HOT inside??

Temp swings and left in a metal safe concerns??

My uncle has his safe in a closet so that he only needs to control the temps in a small area. He uses a small electric space heater plugged into a thermostat that is then plugged into the wall. The small heater doesn't kick on unless the closet gets below his determined temp, whatever he has it set at.

I know there are also those electric "rods" that you can put into your safe that keep the humidity down instead of relying on the desiccant packs.

thanks, for the idea
but I don't think that would work for me,a s the room it will be in will be a 20x20(10 ft tall) or so room, and there are NO doors on the room, open to hallway and then a larger room
and whole place has NO heat when were NOT there
so to heat that room the heater would be running 24/7 all the time and I don't trust a small heater to be running like that, more likely to burn out or start a fire
and I am trying NOT to have to heat the place if NOT needed
I have three of the golden rods in all my safes, but I don't know if they would help or hurt in a very cold environment
we drain water pipes when not there due to they would freeze if we didn't(learned that the hard way
I don't really want to HEAT the inside of the safe either, as it might dry out the stocks?? or inside or???again fire issue's
den rods, to be safe
but again, the SMALL amount of heat they give off and temp changes, I worry about condensation maybe??
as say day time temps go to 40-60 degree and then drop to 20 at night? would being in an enclosed environment like in side a safe be a worry??

I am sure I can add some junk guns to it and see how it plays out
but was wondering if anyone has crossed this bridge and had better idea's or solutions I have yet to think of??

It's the warming up part of the warm/cold cycle that would cause condensation.

I would think that as long as you fully open the safe when you turn the heat on and maybe take the guns out to let them warm up- and make sure they warm up fully before putting them back- you should be fine.

Worse case scenario, spray them down (inside and out) with WD-40 now and then.

PS. Even if you buy a very heavy safe- make absolutely certain that it's bolted down, preferably in a corner.

Thanks, I always bolt my safes down
been known to weld a plate to the base too to make it even harder, as then the base doesn't fit out my door no more LOL

I received a few reply's from a couple quality safe makers, and they recommended using the treated socks and a few golden rods
and they say I should be just fine as long a I keep power on
which isn't an issue 99% of the time, unless a BAD storm or?? hits, and then we always go up to check on place any how.

I always wipe down my guns and leave a heavier coating of oil when put away for any amount of time, I use Break Free long term oil, its thicker and seems to last longer as a coating

then before use they get a quick basic cleaning

SO this is what I think I will be trying
I;ll start off with some lower end guns NOT scared to get rusty
like older cheap .22's and pump shotguns I picked up CHEAP at sales and such, and see how they hold up
before taking anything i'd hate to see get ruined
New safe is going to be about 1800 lbs Empty too, and going in a corner, getting bolted down, 4 golden rods, for starters

house has home security system, 24/7 alarms, hidden camera's
and a neighbor that checks on 2-3 times a week for us, plus were there 7-10 days a month
and its all insured VERY well

SO< I think we will be ok
thanks for the feedback and suggestions

To piggy back on the other measurers you will be taking, you may also want to consider cerakoting a few rigs that will remain there.......Cerakote is tremendously corrosion resistant and can restore older rifles to look band new (metal anyways).

To piggy back on the other measurers you will be taking, you may also want to consider cerakoting a few rigs that will remain there.......Cerakote is tremendously corrosion resistant and can restore older rifles to look band new (metal anyways).

Thanks and I fully agree, have a few guns coated with that and a few other things over the yrs
I'm a BIG fan of better coatings on Working class guns
makes life easier if you don't have to worry about the little things LOl

sorry u r very very trusting. very bad decision. my opinion. I do not trust my

weapons anywhere. my house only. I had cameras and security system in my old farm

house. the thieves wore mask. cover clothing. stole ever tool, air tools, motorcycle

parts. 3 721 rem actions, with sako extractors. new 550 mauser action. all new

fishing gear. tackle, boxes and had my Harley at the front gate. this was over a

thanksgiving weekend. OHOHOH the police did nothing. I had pictures off a game

camera, I put on craigslist. that Monday a pawn shop called me about my add of

stolen items. he got the license plate # in store picture of the people. call

police, give them all of my info. they told me they did not have the funds

to pursue the case. so much for police. did u get my point!!!

sorry u r very very trusting. very bad decision. my opinion. I do not trust my

weapons anywhere. my house only. I had cameras and security system in my old farm

house. the thieves wore mask. cover clothing. stole ever tool, air tools, motorcycle

parts. 3 721 rem actions, with sako extractors. new 550 mauser action. all new

fishing gear. tackle, boxes and had my Harley at the front gate. this was over a

thanksgiving weekend. OHOHOH the police did nothing. I had pictures off a game

camera, I put on craigslist. that Monday a pawn shop called me about my add of

stolen items. he got the license plate # in store picture of the people. call

police, give them all of my info. they told me they did not have the funds

to pursue the case. so much for police. did u get my point!!!
I hear you when I had my gun store was robbed 3 times and YES police were useless LOL
alarm system was useless too

But have camo 30 yrs or so and NO issue's
NOT that one couldn't happen tonight!
I have all things insured and then some,
so IF anyone SHOULD break in and GET the safe open, I am still covered,as again I am NOT putting any guns there that I have attachment to!
just plain jane guns for kids to shoot, or for trap skeet or pinking
many of these guns I got for prices few would believe me, BUT are insured for VALUE not what I have in them

I have many guns I treasure and they stay home with me or tag along WHEN I travel on shoots or hunts!

but I cannot see fearing for all the unknowns life can have.

I keep serial numbers on ALL guns I have , GOOD records, have pictures of all guns I have for insurance reasons to be SURE there covered
had a insurance agent spend a few days going over what I have to MAKE sure its ALL covered even PARTS I have
you will NEVER stop ALL crooks, it can happen to any one ANY WHERE< even YOUR OWN HOME
as we are NEVER there 24/7/365
all you can do is your best to protect
I feel the steps I have taken have me covered as GOOD as can be for what MY budget allows ,

and my concerns again is NOT theft here , its been a worry about guns going BAD from elements IN a safe in a NON temp controlled place!

I appreciate the opinions o safety of them
but its NOT my tread subject LOL

just tired again of hauling 10-15 guns to camp every time I go for silly things like plinking and such
and many guns are NOT worth more than a hindered bucks and a dine a dozen in HIGH production models,
so NOT like I couldn;'t replace them if they grew legs!
sure would suck
but I am covered for costs, of guns, damages to property(as they will HAVE to work to get the safe out, OR opened!)
and stealing guns makes them a felon SO< IF they get dumb and get caught?? I will do all I can see so they pay to the max for there crimes!

that's all anyone can do I think??

BUT will my guns rust in a safe?? to be seen and found out in time
should have safe this winter, and installed from there Maybe spring time??
not a rush job here either
will do it and do it right

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.